5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AWE 0FG Catback Exhaust Suite for the 5th Gen RAM, available now.

Klicht87

Reaction score
Has anyone installed this exhaust themselves? How hard is it getting the old system off without a lift or ramps?

I just have basic hand tools. Should I add anything to my arsenal?
Not sure if you have air suspension but if you lift it to OR2 and remove the driver's side spare tire heat shield, it will slide right out. If you don't have air suspension, you will need ramps or jacks...if you want to remove the exhaust in piece. If you ever decide to put the factory exhaust back on, it may be worth the couple bucks to get some ramps and pull it out in one shot without cutting the exhaust at the axel. That way you can put it back on yourself without going to a weld shop.

Get some exhaust removal pliers (amazon is pretty cheap) and wd-40 for the hangers and it pops right out. You'll need basic sockets, 15mm and 16mm I believe. I don't remember the size for the tip clamps. I have a metric and standard rack of sockets from harbor freight I use for everything with no issue.

Other than the pliers if you choose to get them, you don't need anything special.

RamLink83

Reaction score
Not sure if you have air suspension but if you lift it to OR2 and remove the driver's side spare tire heat shield, it will slide right out. If you don't have air suspension, you will need ramps or jacks...if you want to remove the exhaust in piece. If you ever decide to put the factory exhaust back on, it may be worth the couple bucks to get some ramps and pull it out in one shot without cutting the exhaust at the axel. That way you can put it back on yourself without going to a weld shop.

Get some exhaust removal pliers (amazon is pretty cheap) and wd-40 for the hangers and it pops right out. You'll need basic sockets, 15mm and 16mm I believe. I don't remember the size for the tip clamps. I have a metric and standard rack of sockets from harbor freight I use for everything with no issue.

Other than the pliers if you choose to get them, you don't need anything special.
I agree, with what Klicht87 said. Exhaust pliers will make your life much easier when removing the exhaust, as well as ramps. I got a cheap set of ramps at Harbor Freight for like $50 and they worked great in combination with taking the spare and shield off so you can snake out the exhaust.

Conundrum

Reaction score
I agree, with what Klicht87 said. Exhaust pliers will make your life much easier when removing the exhaust, as well as ramps. I got a cheap set of ramps at Harbor Freight for like $50 and they worked great in combination with taking the spare and shield off so you can snake out the exhaust.
Was the rear up on ramps or the front to help with the muffler removal?

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
Hey gang. Anyone have this exhaust with the 3.92 rear end? Curious how the higher highway rpm would affect the sound. I've been a Corsa man for many years so I know what to expect there. I like the outside tone of the AWE system better but I don't want to mess myself up on the interior noise. Thoughts?

carbonfold

Reaction score
Hey gang. Anyone have this exhaust with the 3.92 rear end? Curious how the higher highway rpm would affect the sound. I've been a Corsa man for many years so I know what to expect there. I like the outside tone of the AWE system better but I don't want to mess myself up on the interior noise. Thoughts?

Mine has the 3.92. It's manageable and not too bad. Even saying, "not too bad" is kind of an exaggeration as it is pretty quiet at cruising speed. I do think when MDS kicks in it can be a little boomy in the interior. That said, I haven't tried any remedies yet (like a pool noodle between the cab and bed) yet but I might for grins. In all honestly it hasn't been annoying enough yet for me to prioritize it.

Compared to other aggressive/semi-aggressive catbacks systems like Corsa or Borla, I find the AWE quieter in regards to cab noise. Full throttle and cold start is a different story. Those should be similar dB levels.

RamLink83

Reaction score
I have the 3.92 rear as well, and at cruising speed it's not bad. There is a slight sound/rumble but nothing over the top. You can tell you have an exhaust, but no drone.

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
Mine has the 3.92. It's manageable and not too bad. Even saying, "not too bad" is kind of an exaggeration as it is pretty quiet at cruising speed. I do think when MDS kicks in it can be a little boomy in the interior. That said, I haven't tried any remedies yet (like a pool noodle between the cab and bed) yet but I might for grins. In all honestly it hasn't been annoying enough yet for me to prioritize it.

Compared to other aggressive/semi-aggressive catbacks systems like Corsa or Borla, I find the AWE quieter in regards to cab noise. Full throttle and cold start is a different story. Those should be similar dB levels.
Thanks!
I have the 3.92 rear as well, and at cruising speed it's not bad. There is a slight sound/rumble but nothing over the top. You can tell you have an exhaust, but no drone.
Appreciate it!

Klicht87

Reaction score
Mine has 3.92 gears as well and the AWE system is not bad at all. It's actually quiet on the highway unless you're revving it to pass or go up hill. The MDS tone is really only annoying at low speeds so I just set the gear limiter to 8. I still like it much better than the borla atak.

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
Mine has 3.92 gears as well and the AWE system is not bad at all. It's actually quiet on the highway unless you're revving it to pass or go up hill. The MDS tone is really only annoying at low speeds so I just set the gear limiter to 8. I still like it much better than the borla atak.
Thanks! I'm going to get through my first winter on the factory exhaust then upgrade in the Spring. I'm torn between Corsa and AWE but I think AWE might win out.

Clv22p

Reaction score
Thanks! I'm going to get through my first winter on the factory exhaust then upgrade in the Spring. I'm torn between Corsa and AWE but I think AWE might win out.
Prices are increasing December 13 FYI. That was their Black Friday sale this year...announcing a price increase Dec 13. 🙃

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
Prices are increasing December 13 FYI. That was their Black Friday sale this year...announcing a price increase Dec 13. 🙃
That is truly unfortunate. Guess I'll weigh my options then. Got too many expenses right now with Christmas and such.

Klicht87

Reaction score
If I did this right the first time, I would have gone CORSA instead of originally buying the Borla ATAK. I sold the Borla ATAK and got the AWE. I bought the AWE over the CORSA the second time, again, because of the cost. I do like the AWE over other brands I've had. The CORSA has a different tone so it really just depends on the tone you are looking for. If I were to recommend anything to anyone in the future, it would be CORSA and AWE. Just my opinion but really factors in the cabin noise because the ATAK just had so much cabin noise all the time.

JVS0302

Reaction score
I agree here as well. I have 3.92 gears and no problem on the highway. The MDS tone is a bit annoying down low so I also just set the gear limiter to 8 and boom problem solved. The pros far far outweigh the cons on the AWE , at least IMO.

Nova90

Reaction score
Been going crazy listening to clips on the internet too. Back and forth between Borla ATAK and AWE. Nothing like hearing it in person. Luckily, AWE is about 20 min from me. I've contacted them and plan to stop in to hear it on a Ram. If it is what I'm expecting, they even do the install right there!

John from AWE described it like this:

"Our exhaust will do exactly what you are asking. At part throttle, you hear a nice rumble and the Hemi sound comes out but it's not overbearing. At cruising speeds and on the highway, you really don't hear anything at all. In most cases on the highway, normal road noise is louder than the exhaust.

However, when harder on the throttle, it really comes to life and brings out the old-school Hemi rowdiness that you want. "

Klicht87

Reaction score
Been going crazy listening to clips on the internet too. Back and forth between Borla ATAK and AWE. Nothing like hearing it in person. Luckily, AWE is about 20 min from me. I've contacted them and plan to stop in to hear it on a Ram. If it is what I'm expecting, they even do the install right there!

John from AWE described it like this:

"Our exhaust will do exactly what you are asking. At part throttle, you hear a nice rumble and the Hemi sound comes out but it's not overbearing. At cruising speeds and on the highway, you really don't hear anything at all. In most cases on the highway, normal road noise is louder than the exhaust.

However, when harder on the throttle, it really comes to life and brings out the old-school Hemi rowdiness that you want. "
Very accurate. Loud when you stomp on the throttle and rumble at cruising. Again, I had the ATAK first (mainly because the AWE wasn't out yet), and it was amazing. It was just too loud all the time. Felt bad for locals driving through the neighborhood to drop my daughter off at school in the morning. The AWE is also loud on cold start but calms down pretty quick. It is a tad more expensive but also has more pieces, allowing for much better adjustability. The tips are also much better quality - Double walled vs Borla's rolled tip.

Conundrum

Reaction score
I have this exhaust system and I love it. One thing I'm wondering though is the tip alignment. The fit is awesome with the adjustment "built in" with this system.

How does everyone align the tips? As in, how far or close to the rear bumper/cut-outs? I know not really close (hair away) or touching due to heat and melting but I don't want them to look "too far" away. Anyone have straight on pics of their AWE tips? How close do you have them? Any issues when it is really hot outside and hot tips close to the bumper?

Klicht87

Reaction score
I have this exhaust system and I love it. One thing I'm wondering though is the tip alignment. The fit is awesome with the adjustment "built in" with this system.

How does everyone align the tips? As in, how far or close to the rear bumper/cut-outs? I know not really close (hair away) or touching due to heat and melting but I don't want them to look "too far" away. Anyone have straight on pics of their AWE tips? How close do you have them? Any issues when it is really hot outside and hot tips close to the bumper?
Here's how I have mine, no issues being too close. Mess around a little bit. It's all up to your liking. I did have mine sticking out further just enough to see the AWE logo but I decided to tuck them back in.

Attachments

• image1 (16).jpeg
    image1 (16).jpeg
    66.7 KB · Views: 66
  • image0 (34).jpeg
    image0 (34).jpeg
    35.8 KB · Views: 66

Users who are viewing this thread