5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aux lights Powered by relay on 1500

Jhdiehl7

Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently wiring up some grill lights on my 2023 Rebel with the LED headlights. The off-road lights I am installing have a DRL “halo” function. I want the halos on the off-road lights to come on with the DRL headlight strips that come on whenever the engine is running but I’m running into an issue. I have everything wired through a relay with a positive trigger and I have the white/orange wire already tapped from the plug that goes into the headlight housing for the DRL strips. I already checked the voltage of the headlight wire that I tapped and it read 12.5 volts. But when I plug it into the trigger port on the relay, nothing happens. I ran a dummy wire from the positive terminal of the battery (same voltage) to the positive relay trigger and it fired just fine. I’m confused as to why this will not trigger the relay with my DRL wire. I have also verified the wire colors through another thread on this forum from 2021 but I’m not sure if it’s any different being that this truck is a 23. If anyone has experience in doing off road lights with relays then that would be appreciated!!

Loudram

Reaction score
These new electrical systems are really picky when you start adding things. Maybe try finding an ignition on power source for the relay instead of trying to tap into the lights. Or power the DRL option from the ignition on power source directly. Same results. Keep it as simple as possible.

Jhdiehl7

Reaction score
These new electrical systems are really picky when you start adding things. Maybe try finding an ignition on power source for the DRL instead of trying to tap into the lights. Same results.
Do you have any recommendations for any ignition on power sources that are easy to access??

Loudram

Reaction score
Not off the top of my head. I know there are threads about this in here. You'd have to do a little digging. Maybe look at the fuse box diagram and grab a aux power source using an add a circuit tap like these.

Nilight 12 Pack 12V Car Add-a-Circuit Fuse Tap Standard Mini Micro2 and Low Profile Fuse Taps 4 Types ATO ATC ATM APM Fuse Holder for Cars Trucks Boats https://a.co/d/0WOA1Xn

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently wiring up some grill lights on my 2023 Rebel with the LED headlights. The off-road lights I am installing have a DRL “halo” function. I want the halos on the off-road lights to come on with the DRL headlight strips that come on whenever the engine is running but I’m running into an issue. I have everything wired through a relay with a positive trigger and I have the white/orange wire already tapped from the plug that goes into the headlight housing for the DRL strips. I already checked the voltage of the headlight wire that I tapped and it read 12.5 volts. But when I plug it into the trigger port on the relay, nothing happens. I ran a dummy wire from the positive terminal of the battery (same voltage) to the positive relay trigger and it fired just fine. I’m confused as to why this will not trigger the relay with my DRL wire. I have also verified the wire colors through another thread on this forum from 2021 but I’m not sure if it’s any different being that this truck is a 23. If anyone has experience in doing off road lights with relays then that would be appreciated!!
The white/orange wire (on the passenger side headlight) is the parking lamps circuit. You would want to tap the signature lamp circuit, which would be beige/orange on the passenger side, or dark green/dark blue on the driver side.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The signature lamps (what you're referring to as the DRLs) are not getting 12v. I believe they only get 7ish? I don't recall exactly what it is, but I know it's less than 10v and not enough to open/close the 12v relay. That's your issue if you are using that circuit as your trigger for the relay.

Users who are viewing this thread