5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Automatic high beams and Automatic rain wipers.

Jdn609

Reaction score
Picked up my 2020 1500 Limited Nov 1st and have same issue... Auto High Beam feature activated, stalk forward position, and no activation message, and certainly not working. I guess I am hearing I need to schedule an appointment, no reset possible from home???

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Picked up my 2020 1500 Limited Nov 1st and have same issue... Auto High Beam feature activated, stalk forward position, and no activation message, and certainly not working. I guess I am hearing I need to schedule an appointment, no reset possible from home???

Hi Jdn609,

I'm sorry that you are also experiencing this concern with your new truck. If you would like an additional layer of support as you address this with your dealer, our team would be more than happy to help. We are just a private message away.

Mark
RamCares

Micko24

Reaction score
No reset... it’s a pain in the a**... good luck. Mine is not fixed... sat in the dealer for 5 days... couldn’t fix it... I took it back because I was going on a trip... now they tell me to bring it back in December when darkness is longer ‍So they can really work on it... I don’t know... might need a case started on this..

mwlapa

Reaction score
I have the same issue and had 2020 limited into dealer twice including engineers recalibrating sensors and still does not work. Extremely frustrating for a $74000 truck

U

User_21361

One thing that worked for me the second time around was documenting the expected vs actual behavior. I left a printed copy in the truck and one with my service adviser. It helped to remove the ambiguity of the situation. I plan to do this for all future cases of warranty work. I also have resorted to testing it with the service adviser in the lot before taking my vehicle back. In this instance, I can test very easily because when configured correctly and while not moving the high beams should default to OFF. Before taking my truck in, the high beams were always ON.

Apexcars

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue with my auto dim lights on my 2020 Longhorn that I picked up 11/4. Build date of 10/11/19.

Bozknight55

Reaction score
2020 Limited. No auto high beams. Enabled in settings. Has anyone had this fixed by dealer?
What did they do if so.
Trying to guide my service advisor. Thanks

RamCares

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue with my auto dim lights on my 2020 Longhorn that I picked up 11/4. Build date of 10/11/19.

Hi Apexcars,

I'm sorry to hear that you are also experiencing this concern with your truck. Please let us know via private message if you address this with your dealer, as we would like to have this documented and provide you with an additional layer of support for the process.

Mark
RamCares

irish91

Reaction score
Took mine into dealer given other issues I have in addition to this(guardian remote not working, multifunction tailgate latch defective, rambox lids misaligned). They claimed that it was working properly when clearly it was not. Seems these service guys know less about these trucks than a layman that spends 30 minutes on the forum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RamCares

Reaction score
Took mine into dealer given other issues I have in addition to this(guardian remote not working, multifunction tailgate latch defective, rambox lids misaligned). They claimed that it was working properly when clearly it was not. Seems these service guys know less about these trucks than a layman that spends 30 minutes on the forum.

Hi irish91,

I'm sorry to hear of your frustration. Would you mind following up with me via private message to provide additional details regarding your situation? I would be happy to learn more to determine how to best assist you at this point.

Mark
RamCares

Kylan

Reaction score
I am also having the same issue. 2020 ram 1500 limited purchased 11/13/19 in Ontario, Canada. No auto high beam messages and highbeams just stay on with stalk pushed forward any time of the day or night. It is enabled in uconnect and lights set to auto.

Another issue I notice that no one else mentioned is my dash and screen do not dim when the headlights are on or at night even though that option is also enabled in uconnect. It's set to auto dim but stays on the max brightness of 10 even though it should dim to number 5. I have to manually turn down the brightness every night and back up every morning.

Really hoping the dealership doesn't give me the run around like some of you guys. Surprised so many ppl are having the same issue for such an expensive truck. Will try the dealership tomorrow.

Is ram going to address this and acknowledge the issue publicly so people aren't being treated like there crazy or stupid? This is the only place I could find anyone reporting this issue and was surprised to see so many ppl saying the same thing. I imagine most ppl are not even checking online and just going to the dealership so I'm sure there's many many more with this issue.

irish91

Reaction score

Got it back from the dealer. They claimed it was working, but it is not. They held a flashlight directly against the light sensor on top of the dash and the high beams turned off after about 15 seconds. That was their proof it was working correctly.

Later in the day during the dark it was back to what it had been—high beams activated and do not dim when there is oncoming traffic. I am under the impression when auto dimming is activated there is a message that appears in the info screen as in my wife’s Pacifica. The dealer told me the Ram system doesn’t have that message.

I am reluctant to spend another day at the dealer trying to fix this as they clearly don’t understand the problem. Would be great if there was a way to reset the system from home which seems to be the fix. In my case, my dealership can’t even do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U

User_21361

Got it back from the dealer. They claimed it was working, but it is not. They held a flashlight directly against the light sensor on top of the dash and the high beams turned off after about 15 seconds. That was their proof it was working correctly.

Later in the day during the dark it was back to what it had been—high beams activated and do not dim when there is oncoming traffic. I am under the impression when auto dimming is activated there is a message that appears in the info screen as in my wife’s Pacifica. The dealer told me the Ram system doesn’t have that message.

I am reluctant to spend another day at the dealer trying to fix this as they clearly don’t understand the problem. Would be great if there was a way to reset the system from home which seems to be the fix. In my case, my dealership can’t even do it.

I had a similar experience. I used this text to get them to fix it (excuse the formatting). They then flashed the BCM and it works great, with a message. I'll see if I can snap a photo of it with the truck logo to help you out. I also took a video to show them they were wrong. Works ok now after they fixed it. I actually printed this and handed it to my advisor.

Auto Dimming High Beams:

Forum Posts: https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/automatic-high-beams-and-automatic-rain-wipers.2002/

From the owner's manual: The Automatic High Beam Headlamp Control system provides increased forward lighting at night by automating high beam control through the use of a digital camera mounted on the inside rearview mirror or a windshield mounted camera. These cameras detect vehicle specific light and automatically switch from high beams to low beams until the approaching vehicle is out of view

NOTE: The Automatic High Beams will not activate until the vehicle is at or above 12 mph (20 km/h).

Setup: Auto High beams enabled in console, Lights set to "AUTO", stick pushed forward.

For the high beams to turn on, you need drive above 12 mph. At rest, the high beams should NOT engage

Expected Behavior: When setup is done correctly:

Below 12 MPH, the high beams should be OFF

Above 12 MPH, the high beams should turn ON assuming no light is detected. Once light is detected, they will turn OFF.

There should also be a console message stating that "auto high beams" are engaged

Current/Actual Behavior: Using the correct setup listed above

When the headlights turn on in "Auto" mode, the high beams are on 100% of the time. They remain on regardless of the conditions

its mostly light outside

The lights do not adjust for oncoming traffic. The high beams stay on regardless of a car with their headlights on approaching

Regardless of speed. The behavior is the same at 0 MPH, 12 MPH, 40 MPH, 60 MPH

At 0 MPH, the high beams are on. This goes against the stated behavior in the manual.

Ont he console, I get no message saying that I am in "Auto high beam mode"

Remedy: According to others, resetting the module should correct the issue. Some posts have said this is the Body Control Module.

mwlapa

Reaction score
Just received truck back and auto high beams are working and the Uconnect remote app is now remotely starting truck. Below is what the dealer did. Hope this helps.
8dbe618c7152fe5a77755183e96ad2f0.jpg

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
My new 2020 Laramie Longhorny has the same issue as others here. I guess PDI doesn't include checking for updated software.

Micko24

Reaction score
My truck is finally fixed! Test drove it yesterday at night... dash says it’s enabled. And it works just as it should be.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
They updated my truck today and now the dash displays the message about the auto dim lights being engaged. Hopefully, that's all set now.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My new 2020 Laramie Longhorny has the same issue as others here. I guess PDI doesn't include checking for updated software.

That is why I told my salesman to have this done before I took delivery.

This forum was and is very valuable for pre/post sales info.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
That is why I told my salesman to have this done before I took delivery.

This forum was and is very valuable for pre/post sales info.
I asked for 3 things before delivery on my truck.
set the tires to 40 PSI
Make sure the glass inside was spotless (including the sunroof)
Check for any updates to the software.

None were done. This rag was from just the rear sunroof glass pane.
dirty.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread