5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Automatic high beams and Automatic rain wipers.

sgtsodo

Reaction score
Where is the auto high beam sensor located? I got a new windshield this week and they seem to not work as well afterwards. They switch off too often now.

Dgulia

Reaction score
It's in the middle behind your rearview mirror. Most probably dealer has to recalibrate something. Did you get the windshield installed at the dealership.

sgtsodo

Reaction score
I did. It’s a Mopar windshield. I figured that’s where it is. I’ll have them look into it at oil change #1.

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
When you push the wiper stalk forward, does the cluster say "Automatic High Beams Enabled"? If not, the feature is not enabled (or the truck things it's not enabled). It should display a message when you push the stalk forward or backward, when the auto high beams are enabled.

For what it's worth, my 2016 Durango RT had auto high beams, and they never worked. I took it to the dealer twice and they claimed they were functioning normally. The dealer even took the vehicle home over night so they could prove (to themselves) that it worked. They claimed they worked, and they absolutely did not work. I wish you the best of luck on this journey if you have to get the dealer to fix the issue.

Scarittagle

Reaction score
Correct. One click puts them on the lowest sensitivity, the other 3 clicks until you get to the top 2 settings just increase the sensitivity. As far as the Auto High Beams, your light switch must be set to AUTO, they will NOT work if you actually turn the switch all the way to headlights on. In AUTO mode, you then push the stick forward and there should be a message on your TFT screen stating that Auto High Beams are Enabled. If that isn't happening and you are SURE you have your light switch on Auto and Auto High Beams enabled in the system, then something is wrong.

I just got my truck yesterday and the Auto High Bean doesn’t work from the start even my Uconnect states it’s selected ;)

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just got my truck yesterday and the Auto High Bean doesn’t work from the start even my Uconnect states it’s selected ;)
They are very, very sensitive to ambient light...street lights, business lights, etc. Mine won’t come on at all in the city; I just about have to get out of town to see them in operation.

Scarittagle

Reaction score
They are very, very sensitive to ambient light...street lights, business lights, etc. Mine won’t come on at all in the city; I just about have to get out of town to see them in operation.

Weird.
Mine just won’t dim, it act like a normal high beam

Scarittagle

Reaction score
It’s normal if it’s sensitive to street lights.
My Audi S5 with Auto high beam does that too. Nothings wrong with that.

Meanwhile in my truck...... yeah, big trouble

Scarittagle

Reaction score
All four lamps are lit on low beams. Are you sure yours are on high? (Sorry if it's a stupid question...)

the blue indicator went on , so I am sure it was high. Plus I can see the differences when it light are projected on the road.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
the blue indicator went on , so I am sure it was high. Plus I can see the differences when it light are projected on the road.
You have the opposite issue to what everyone else has experienced. Most have observed that the high beams rarely come on unless they’re in pitch-black countryside.

Scarittagle

Reaction score
Are your headlights set to "auto" or "on"? When they're manually "on" the high beams work like old school.

My headlight is always on “auto”

Plus I didn’t get the message says “Auto High Beam Activated” or some sort you guys mentioned when I push the lever forward.

Scarittagle

Reaction score
You have the opposite issue to what everyone else has experienced. Most have observed that the high beams rarely come on unless they’re in pitch-black countryside.

At least you guys Auto High beam works lol

Mines are not “Auto” at all

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the ACC so Advanced Safety Group is definitely equipped.

Welp... then you have an issue. I set my headlight to Auto and then just push the stalk forward to get the message they aer enabled. They only really turn on when I'm driving down rather dark streets...

Scarittagle

Reaction score
Welp... then you have an issue. I set my headlight to Auto and then just push the stalk forward to get the message they aer enabled. They only really turn on when I'm driving down rather dark streets...

UH THIS IS TOXIC
I ONLY HAD THIS BRAND NEW TRUCK FOR 2 DAYS

Last edited:

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
UH THIS IS TOXIC
I ONLY HAD THIS BRAND NEW TRUCK FOR 2 DAYS

Annoying, perhaps, and you shouldn't have to deal with these things on an expensive new vehicle, but "toxic"? Really? Definitely annoying, but hardly toxic - a genuine "first world problem". Bugs happen, especially to a new vehicle with as much technology packed into it as these new Rams have. Maybe your sensor is bad, or the windshield is optically distorting the light entering the sensor, or maybe you need a software update or firmware reflash.

Scarittagle

Reaction score
Annoying, perhaps, and you shouldn't have to deal with these things on an expensive new vehicle, but "toxic"? Really? Definitely annoying, but hardly toxic - a genuine "first world problem". Bugs happen, especially to a new vehicle with as much technology packed into it as these new Rams have. Maybe your sensor is bad, or the windshield is optically distorting the light entering the sensor, or maybe you need a software update or firmware reflash.

After all those vehicles I bought (and most of then are packed with these similar technologies or even more advanced than this) none of those issue ever happened on those cars except this truck. Yes, a bad sensor, windshield issue or software issue could cause the problem BUT it also shouldn't happen on a brand new vehicle.

and FCA is infamous for its terrible electronics quality controls. (Check out Alfa Romeo Giulia)

Users who are viewing this thread