5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto-dimming Passenger Side Mirror

VAdiver

Reaction score
I’m trying to retrofit my 2020 Laramie that didn’t have an auto-dimming passenger side mirror with one that does auto-dim. My driver side mirror already does have auto-dimming. So, I purchased a new mirror with the auto-dim feature and I’ve installed it on the truck. Plugged the connectors in to where the previous non-dimming mirror was connected. No success getting the mirror to actually dim, though. All other functions work (folding, heating, blind-spot, etc.). Wondering if there is a code I need to update. Does anyone know what the code may be or if there is another remedy I’m missing? Thanks for the help.

19RamBC

Reaction score
Where did you buy the mirror? I also wanted to do this, silly to have the driver and rear view mirror do it but not the passenger one

VAdiver

Reaction score
Where did you buy the mirror? I also wanted to do this, silly to have the driver and rear view mirror do it but not the passenger one

The mirror housing is part #: 68276506AC
The mirror glass (in case you break it) is part #:
68402094AA

Everything else should plug in just like the non-dimming mirror. I think I need to have the truck programmed By the dealer to add the mirror dimming as I still haven’t gotten it to work.

19RamBC

Reaction score

The mirror housing is part #: 68276506AC
The mirror glass (in case you break it) is part #:
68402094AA

Everything else should plug in just like the non-dimming mirror. I think I need to have the truck programmed By the dealer to add the mirror dimming as I still haven’t gotten it to work.
Is that chrome or black mirror?

barr0208

Reaction score
as far as I know the passenger mirrors does not dim only the drivers side I have had four new gens and they all do the same thing driver mirror only.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't have your answer. However, since this is an "Auto-Dimming" thread; does anyone know how to test the auto-dim for the rear view and side mirrors? In other words, is there an actual test for Auto-Dim. I ask because I swear that mine does not work at all even though I am equipped and it is turned on.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Park another car behind yours in the evening and hit it with Bright Lights. The sun will trigger mine around sun set as well.

RamLink83

Reaction score
Sorry, I don't have your answer. However, since this is an "Auto-Dimming" thread; does anyone know how to test the auto-dim for the rear view and side mirrors? In other words, is there an actual test for Auto-Dim. I ask because I swear that mine does not work at all even though I am equipped and it is turned on.

I may be wrong, but I think I saw a setting somewhere in the Uconnect settings on the stereo for auto dimming.

VAdiver

Reaction score
Ok, so I pulled the panel off the driver’s side door and found that there is an extra connector plugged in to the door module in slot “D”. It has a purple connector plug and two purple wires coming out. This is different from the passenger side door module, where there is no such purple plug or wires. So, I’m thinking this might be what is missing to make the auto dimming work. Either that, or the purple wire is for the memory buttons on the door. I’m going to ask the dealer if they can find the door wiring that fits the Limited model and see if it has this purple plug on it on the passenger side. Here are the pictures of the two modules. It’s a little messy, but you’ll see the plug in slot “D” on the drivers side Is different. The passenger side door module is identified by the big “R” on it.

Attachments

• Frontpassdoormodule.jpg
    Frontpassdoormodule.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 93
  • frontleftdoormodule.jpg
    frontleftdoormodule.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 91

Edmontonram

Reaction score
Any updates on this? Did you get it working?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19RamBC

Reaction score
Based on my build sheet, should i not have a auto dimming passenger mirror?? I have the rear view and driver mirror that dim but not the passenger.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201220-111839_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20201220-111839_Drive.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 80

ebland0724

Reaction score
Based on my build sheet, should i not have a auto dimming passenger mirror?? I have the rear view and driver mirror that dim but not the passenger.
Yes. As clearly stated “Passenger side”. Do you not have it? I’d certainly raise cane at the dealership. My build sheet did not specify passenger, it only says rear view and driver side.

Wsmith

Reaction score
If it says it you should have it, you should have it. may be a Canadian requirement. I have a 2020 bighorn. Base price $9k plus, less than yours. Mine does not state under safety features passenger auto dim. When I seen yours I quickly got my window sticker to check, to no avail. My sticker does not even state that I have auto dimming anything, but I do have driver and rear view auto dimming. You have it in writing, if it is not working get it fixed, if you do not have it make them put it on. They probably sent you a truck for the USA with a Canadian sticker.

laoxu

Reaction score
Ok, so I pulled the panel off the driver’s side door and found that there is an extra connector plugged in to the door module in slot “D”. It has a purple connector plug and two purple wires coming out. This is different from the passenger side door module, where there is no such purple plug or wires. So, I’m thinking this might be what is missing to make the auto dimming work. Either that, or the purple wire is for the memory buttons on the door. I’m going to ask the dealer if they can find the door wiring that fits the Limited model and see if it has this purple plug on it on the passenger side. Here are the pictures of the two modules. It’s a little messy, but you’ll see the plug in slot “D” on the drivers side Is different. The passenger side door module is identified by the big “R” on it.
Did you turn on this option via AlfaOBD?
Electro-chromatic passenger mirror present: Not set -> Set

Users who are viewing this thread