5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Status
Not open for further replies.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm with you, however I have lifetime power train warranty and using a heavier viscosity oil might give them reason to deny claim.

It wont. Why? Because oil viscosity changes with temperature. If your engine can run 5w-20 at 0C and not cause issues, then it can certainly run 5w-30 or even 5w-40 at 100C because that thicker oil will actually be much thinner at 100C vs a 20 grade at 0.

Besides, you're less likely to need the warranty running a proper oil anyway. Premium synthetic at 5w-30 is the best thing for these hemis especially in the summer. In the winter running a 0w-30 might be better for more northern folk but even then, there is only a 5C degree difference in cold start between those grades.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
My comments about you hating your truck were made in jest because all you have done lately is complain about towing with it and trying to make it sound like a 1500 isn't capable of doing much more than taking your lawnmower to your neighbors house.

How is it complicated? Just because it's beyond your capabilities doesn't make it complicated. Turbo engines have been used for decades. There is no new ground brewing technology or processes being used on this engine. As far as cost of ownership, you don't know what the cost of ownership is to even make that prediction.
I'll address the second part first, its complicated in alot of ways, you can bury your head in the sand if you want, but the new way it communicates and the engine sensors and twin turbos and overhead cam. I know you think that the technology has been around for a long time, it doesn't change the fact its more complicated than the simple Hemi. But I think we are beating a dead horse on that subject, I think we can agree to disagree.

I'm not complaining about, nor do I fear towing with a 1500, I just know the capability of the 1500. If your going to tow regularly at the GCWR your better off buying a 2500, I think thats common knowledge. My heaviest trailer is the Tritoon, which is 3K lbs lighter than the trailer rating, however I have a cargo trailer that can be close to GCWR if I chose to. Again a 1500 is a good platform to tow with, as long as you stay within the ratings, and if every mile of that 1500 is at the GCWR, then buy a 2500. I feel the Tritoon with the Hemi, but I'm comparing that to my SRW 3500 HO CTD.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
silver billet, I hear you, but I'm not going to chance it, I have to show proof of receipt of oil and filter purchase for DIY maintenance.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'll address the second part first, its complicated in alot of ways, you can bury your head in the sand if you want, but the new way it communicates and the engine sensors and twin turbos and overhead cam. I know you think that the technology has been around for a long time, it doesn't change the fact its more complicated than the simple Hemi. But I think we are beating a dead horse on that subject, I think we can agree to disagree.

I'm not complaining about, nor do I fear towing with a 1500, I just know the capability of the 1500. If your going to tow regularly at the GCWR your better off buying a 2500, I think thats common knowledge. My heaviest trailer is the Tritoon, which is 3K lbs lighter than the trailer rating, however I have a cargo trailer that can be close to GCWR if I chose to. Again a 1500 is a good platform to tow with, as long as you stay within the ratings, and if every mile of that 1500 is at the GCWR, then buy a 2500. I feel the Tritoon with the Hemi, but I'm comparing that to my SRW 3500 HO CTD.
But we aren't talking about towing at max GVWR/GCWR. Yet you still made comments about how 7k lb trailer was too much.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
OK :rolleyes: , believe what you want, I've been clear on my position on 1500's.

BowDown

Reaction score
You must have missed the part about the Hemi being 21 years old. The clearances were never "tightened" and it's not a modern engine....which is why it's now gone due to emissions requirements it could not meet. I still think a better "buffer" (higher viscosity) for the old fashioned cam lobes is better. Just my experience with it.

5W30/40 is so much better for the 5.7L.

How do you come to the conclusion that old fashioned cam lobes are better?

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Again complicated engine, two cams instead of one. :ROFLMAO:

AleksanderSuave

Reaction score
Proof that the tiny hurricanes are overworked and won't last because of low duty cycles...:rolleyes:
sample size of one. This is about as scientifically definitive of the point you're trying to make as sticking your head up a cow's *** to try to predict how good the steaks will be.

MT755

Reaction score
In regards to complicated engines. In my head, the Hurricane is more complicated than the Hemi. The Hurricane is much simpler than the Ford ecoboost and Toyota 3.4 engine in the Tundra. Those engines double everything except cylinders. (Yes, I exaggerated) but not too much.

MT755

Reaction score
I wish the Ram So engine would have 500lbs torque to equal the EcoBoost. Also, ability to run 87 octane with that amount of torque. And be available in the upper trims. I wonder if the so engine would be able to put our 520 lbs torque with out the forged rods or needing 91 octane.

BowDown

Reaction score
sample size of one. This is about as scientifically definitive of the point you're trying to make as sticking your head up a cow's *** to try to predict how good the steaks will be.

Kinda like the claims of the hurricanes frailty based on...... nothing which is less than one

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
In regards to complicated engines. In my head, the Hurricane is more complicated than the Hemi. The Hurricane is much simpler than the Ford ecoboost and Toyota 3.4 engine in the Tundra. Those engines double everything except cylinders. (Yes, I exaggerated) but not too much.
The MDS system, etorque(on a lot) is more "complicated" than the Hurricane that does t have those. OHC is actually less complicated(less moving parts) than pushrod. If you know what you are doing, timing DOHC isn't complicated. But really should rarely ever need to touch that. Turbos aren't complicated. Exhaust gassed spin the impeller wheel which is directly attached to compressor wheel. Boost control would be most complicated thing, but the computer does that for you, with actuator and blow off valve, which are usually vacuum/boost controlled and preset springs. Most people just don't want to try and understand them because they think they are "complicated"

RVTRKN

Reaction score
The MDS system, etorque(on a lot) is more "complicated" than the Hurricane that does t have those. OHC is actually less complicated(less moving parts) than pushrod. If you know what you are doing, timing DOHC isn't complicated. But really should rarely ever need to touch that. Turbos aren't complicated. Exhaust gassed spin the impeller wheel which is directly attached to compressor wheel. Boost control would be most complicated thing, but the computer does that for you, with actuator and blow off valve, which are usually vacuum/boost controlled and preset springs. Most people just don't want to try and understand them because they think they are "complicated"
That seems to be the beauty of the inline configuration when overhead cams are involved, unlike the V6's that have DOHC. That is what makes the Hurricane better than the competition.

I've torn down many engines, but that was in the 70's. The newer generation of engines are more complicated, and it doesn't just pertain to the simple V8's (Hemi), however the Hemi is a simple engine by todays standards. God forbid you have to repair a Mercedes or BMW V8 engine, with DOHC. I stand by my comment that the Hurricane is a complicated engine, but the competition is a nightmare with V6's and DOHC's. DOHC 4 cylinders are good engines, but when they start to fail, your better off buying another car then to spend $$$$ on a rebuild, basically it is time to go to the scrap yard with 100/150K miles.

stevieb92

Reaction score
I stand by my comment that comparatively, the Hurricane is actually less complicated than the Hemi. But that all depends on your level of understanding engines. Saying a DOHC 4 cylinder is a disposable engine and not worth rebuilding tells me what so need to know about your level of understanding

Why do you always have to bash someone for their "level of understanding"? It's a common theme from you. This is a community of sharing information and experiences and you have a consistent MO of degrading other members. It is not welcome. You simply cannot engage in a discussion without bashing another member. Doesn't shed a good light on this forum. You should consider your responses before you post them.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Why do you always have to bash someone for their "level of understanding"? It's a common theme from you. This is a community of sharing information and experiences and you have a consistent MO of degrading other members. It is not welcome. You simply cannot engage in a discussion without bashing another member. Doesn't shed a good light on this forum. You should consider your responses before you post them.
Opinion noted. Not going to change who I am. Don't like it, ignore my posts. Doesn't hurt my feelings any.

stevieb92

Reaction score
Opinion noted. Not going to change who I am. Don't like it, ignore my posts. Doesn't hurt my feelings any.
I don't care if it hurts your feelings or not. That's not why I'm making this post. I'm just simply pointing out the obvious. When you post degrading comments like that, it negates your opinions and is insulting to the other members. That's not the kind of experience anyone wants here. People want intelligent discussion and exchange of opinions and ideas, not to be ridiculed. You would get more respect if you "lightened up a little, Francis". ;)

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I stand by my comment that comparatively, the Hurricane is actually less complicated than the Hemi. But that all depends on your level of understanding engines. Saying a DOHC 4 cylinder is a disposable engine and not worth rebuilding tells me what so need to know about your level of understanding
$15K average price for an older model 4 Cyl, 2012-2014, any make (Toyota has the best price over all on average) and your going to waist your money to rebuild that 4 Cyl. :rolleyes: Lets not forget all the other mechanical issues that can fail because of age.

Its OK, I've found you need a thick skin here, when posting opinions that don't align with the flavor of cool aid FCA is pouring into a half empty glass.

Yes the Hemi is gone, what a shame, but that doesn't mean an unproven high HP 3.0 I6 is going to work for Ram, just because its been in the Jeep line doesn't translate to a 1500 application. (now the flame thrower) It needs to run a few years to truly know if it works out for FCA. But even that opinion here will get criticized. What I do know is its better than the competition V6's and will take time for the Ford and GM cool aid drinkers to see that and come over to the brite side. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread