5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gren71

Reaction score
Well folks - another important public service announcement.
If you are going to order/buy a 2025, make sure that you order the trailer controller from the factory. It is a $290 option.
At this point, dealers have no clue about adding this.
Mine did not come with one, I did order the controller that supposedly should work on 2025.
Went to my dealer for installation this morning.

1- the controller cannot be mounted under the dash like the older models
2- the tech could not find any wires under the dash
3- dealer has no clue about the correct part / location - they will call the factory to get more info.
4- 2025 has a completely different wiring harness / electrical system architecture.
I have another thread on this specific topic - per Jimmy, the controller is mounted behind the back seat. He posted a picture.

So, I will wait and see what the dealer is going to come back with.
@RVTRKN and I had the same idea. You could always use a curt Echo as a stop gap. I used one for years with my Gladiator before installing the factory break controller. With the Gladiator it was sorta the same situation as you in that the manufacturer had no idea how to add the controller after the fact. The echo was a PHENOMINEAL stop gap, worked flawlessly.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I guess it depends on the type of women you date.

Let me rephrase that for you then. Most 1/2 ton owners aren't overloading them. They are daily commuters and family haulers. I know a few who won't even use the bed because they might scratch the paint.
Nice, a Site Supporter insulting members. ;)

How about lifting them 4" and just keeps the wheels clean and the truck waxed every day. "Look how bitchen my truck is"

azzx

Reaction score
@RVTRKN and I had the same idea. You could always use a curt Echo as a stop gap. I used one for years with my Gladiator before installing the factory break controller. With the Gladiator it was sorta the same situation as you in that the manufacturer had no idea how to add the controller after the fact. The echo was a PHENOMINEAL stop gap, worked flawlessly.
I checked - they have a status of "to be confirmed" for 2025

azzx

Reaction score
I did - called the CSM
EDIT: if the 3 dealers I have gone to for adding a trailer brake controller to my 25 RAM have no clue about the wiring, part, or location, how would an aftermarket vendor have a clue about a plug-in to an entirely different Canbus architecture at this point?
Based on the limited info I have so far, The entire wiring architecture for 25 is totally diff.

Just -peed-off at this point. this whole thing is my fault, should have stuck with a 24 even though it had a 3.21 gears.

Stelantis / RAM is not the only company that sells a new product that their dealers have no clue about servicing/supporting post-sales, @ramecare, we expect better -- I have some time on my hands to talk to someone at corporate!

Guys --Thank you all for your suggestions & support.

Last edited:

azzx

Reaction score
Update --
My dealers' service manager called me a minute ago and told me that based on RAM, at this point there is no solution for the "sold" RAMs with no trailer brake controller.

If any of you have an actual validated/verified part number/solution for a 2025 1500 brake controller, I would appreciate it.
If I had known this, it would have been a deal breaker for me. Finlay made an A...s out of myself by Assuming!
I don't want to discourage anyone from buying 2025 --- just make sure you have the factory controller before you buy ---- that is if you care/need it!

Last edited:

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It should be illegal to sell any vehicle with a hitch but not a brake controller.

Ok…. The libertarian in me says not illegal.

But common sense would be a nice start.

Even the capitalist in me knows a money grab when I see one.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Give it time Im sure there will eventually be a compatible brake control kit sold

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Zzz didn’t you order it, or was it on a lot? I was looking to trade my 3500 in March last year, and I figured I have to purchase the tow mirrors most dealers told me they didn’t know if it would work on the 1500. Wouldn’t you know my wife pointed out that the truck we were looking at had the mirrors, the fact she knew the difference blew me away, so sure enough took it on test drive and yup it had the mirrors. Not many 1500’s have those, at least the ones I’ve seen. When I confirmed the mirrors, I told the salesman truck is sold. Per the window sticker it was factory option. If they want to much for the OE brake controller, TEKONSHA® makes a nice controller, I installed one in my 04.5 2500 CTD.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nice, a Site Supporter insulting members. ;)
Not sure what a tagline next to my name has to do with anything. Site supporter just means I paid to not have ads and support the site. More than you have done.

And I didn't insult you, get a sense of humor.

How about lifting them 4" and just keeps the wheels clean and the truck waxed every day. "Look how bitchen my truck is"
Now you're catching on. There are more owners who do that than actually tow or haul loads with their trucks.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Let me rephrase that for you then. Most 1/2 ton owners aren't overloading them. They are daily commuters and family haulers. I know a few who won't even use the bed because they might scratch the paint.
This guy disagrees😆
IMG_2505.jpeg

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Insinuating that I only date fat chicks, that will overload a 1/2 ton, and I did find it humorous, that was what the wink emoji was all about at the end of the sentence. ;) ;)

AleksanderSuave

Reaction score
Missed the point completely, well done.

This forum will discuss everything under the sun related to our trucks, multiple threads, multiple train crashes and derailments, multiple fights, you get the point?

Don't like what you're reading, skip the post and move on princess. Whining about something you can just skip over seems futile but then again, apparently I'm a senior now and maybe my patience is just not what it used to be.

Now where did I leave my meds......

Have you considered taking your own advice? 10s of pages later, still sounding like a broken record. Hemi gone, big cry, time to soil my depends in protest! All you others who like turbos are girly men! /s

AleksanderSuave

Reaction score
I guess I'll have to see my optometrist to see (no pun intended) if my eyes deceives my reality, not yours.
I know I've parked overnight at 22K and 80K, in Walmarts to save the ridiculous campground costs and no parking at truck stops, as well as many others, commercial and private, maybe you can do your research there.
Cool, lets double down on that logic.
Why let facts get in the way of the "walmart market research study" you've obviously perfected by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/