5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Factory nav is great.
You should say what nav system you are using as there are 2 differnet ones for the 5th gen.

Good point, I have the Uconnect 4 NAV (8.4" screen) and it's hot garbage that still makes me angry to this day thinking about how crappy its guidance is compared to Google Maps. How many trips to the center of the Earth I was sent by that stupid NAV before I wised up and upgraded my 5 year old smartphone so I could use Google Maps on Android Auto.

I can't imagine that Uconnect 5 NAV is all that much better unless they dropped whatever guidance system they use and switched over to Google.

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Good point, I have the Uconnect 4 NAV (8.4" screen) and it's hot garbage that still makes me angry to this day thinking about how crappy its guidance is compared to Google Maps. How many trips to the center of the Earth I was sent by that stupid NAV before I wised up and upgraded my 5 year old smartphone so I could use Google Maps on Android Auto.

I can't imagine that Uconnect 5 NAV is all that much better unless they dropped whatever guidance system they use and switched over to Google.
UC4 was by HERE. UC5 is by Tom Tom. It works great for me.
I've never heard of HERE before until Ram.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
HERE was previously named Navteq, until they got bought by Nokia (remember them?)

Nacteq used to be the major provider of in-car navigation data. HERE is still big in the space, and they’re now co-owned by several auto companies, including BMW and VW.

But anyway, I also use my phone’s navigation, not the HERE maps on my 2021.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does it have real time traffic and hazard info, like Waze? If not, I have no idea why you'd use that vs plugging your phone in ans using Waze (and I have factory navigation on both my vehicles).

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Does it have real time traffic and hazard info, like Waze? If not, I have no idea why you'd use that vs plugging your phone in ans using Waze (and I have factory navigation on both my vehicles).
The factory Nav, even on your 2019 has real time traffic and hazard info, it's just a subscription service you have to pay for. Even shows has price at stations along your route.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I used factory nav on my UC4 2019 12inch and it took me an extra hour to get to northern Michigan than my buddy’s dad who used google maps. It was probably the hour long trip I took down random dirt roads instead of the highway. Anyway I don’t like using my phone for everything so I’m excited about some good factory nav.

Last edited:

Jako

Reaction score
I used factory nav on my UC4 2019 12inch and it took me an extra hour to get to northern Michigan than my buddy’s dad who used google maps. It was probably the hour long trip I took down random dirty roads instead of the highway. Anyway I don’t like using my phone for everything so I’m excited about some good factory nav.
UC4 8.4 Nav does the same, it as taken me off the highway onto local roads.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
UC4 8.4 Nav does the same, it as taken me off the highway onto local roads.
UC4 12" also got me stuck in traffic. Took me off the highway onto a local road with construction going on. That was the 1st and last time I used the factory navigation. The only time I use it now is when I want to know where exactly I'm currently located. It conveniently shows the town/city name of your location.

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
I agree and I do not want the towing mirrors. That's another thing that sets the two option apart I think. As ChrisID says a brake controller for $295 would do the job for me.
yeah, I like the trailer tire pressure sensors and monitoring in the tow group on the truck for pulling my bass boat with the trailer tow group and the trailer light checking is handy as well. I just wish Rams had tire temperature monitoring like the chevy does also. If it weren't for that I would just have gotten the brake controller as you said.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
yeah, I like the trailer tire pressure sensors and monitoring in the tow group on the truck for pulling my bass boat with the trailer tow group and the trailer light checking is handy as well. I just wish Rams had tire temperature monitoring like the chevy does also. If it weren't for that I would just have gotten the brake controller as you said.
Chevy's monitor tire temperature? I have never heard of that but then again I don't tow much.

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
I thought for sure this was the case when I went to the dealer, because I remember it selected tow mirrors and I didn't want them so we removed the Technology TG. However, On the public site it doesn't selected the Tow mirrors and I thought I was going crazy. I almost reordered my truck to get the Technology TG since it didn't look to include Tow Mirrors anymore. I am so confused with the builder now. Thanks for confirming I am not completely insane.
yes, the public build your ram site is sketchy when it comes to that stuff. honestly it isn't as clean and accurate of an app as chevy, or GMC build a truck app is.
if you notice just selecting the tow group will add tow mirrors to the truck in the public site. complete misrepresentation of the option. it drove me nuts to be honest trying to use it at first.

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
Chevy's monitor tire temperature? I have never heard of that but then again I don't tow much.
yes sir, they sure do on the trailer. I have it right now on my 21 LTZ 1500. I honestly like having the temperature as much or more than the Air pressure. something I will have to get used to. I found in the ram literature somewhere they did monitor temps, but when you look at all the videos of the monitoring feature it never shows temp. and its never mentioned on the actual dealer order site with the option.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I used factory nav on my UC4 2019 12inch and it took me an extra hour to get to northern Michigan than my buddy’s dad who used google maps. It was probably the hour long trip I took down random dirt roads instead of the highway. Anyway I don’t like using my phone for everything so I’m excited about some good factory nav.
UC5 on 2022+ has an option on the Tom Tom maps to avoid "unpaved roads"

At least where I love knowing there is traffic doesn't really change anything as getting off the highway 25 miles away doesn't end up saving any time.
I used my phone for years until 2018 where I went nag unit only. If you have any kind of problem with your phone, that is now a problem with your nav. My Note 3 would sometimes reboot on its own and when it happened I would have no nav and it would really suck to be in the middle of driving to lose your maps. Since then I have only used factory systems and have been fine ever sense.

As it is now I get in my truck, turn it on and go. I have 0 need to touch my phone or anything else as Bluetooth connects by itself and Poweramp knows to start playing music. I don't need to plug anything in or fumble around with my head unit when I get in my truck and it's great

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
UC5 on 2022+ has an option on the Tom Tom maps to avoid "unpaved roads"

At least where I love knowing there is traffic doesn't really change anything as getting off the highway 25 miles away doesn't end up saving any time.
I used my phone for years until 2018 where I went nag unit only. If you have any kind of problem with your phone, that is now a problem with your nav. My Note 3 would sometimes reboot on its own and when it happened I would have no nav and it would really suck to be in the middle of driving to lose your maps. Since then I have only used factory systems and have been fine ever sense.

As it is now I get in my truck, turn it on and go. I have 0 need to touch my phone or anything else as Bluetooth connects by itself and Poweramp knows to start playing music. I don't need to plug anything in or fumble around with my head unit when I get in my truck and it's great
Oh my God. Someone else like me. I hate f***ing with my phone in my Truck. I want to turn on my truck and drive like I used to do back in the 90s when driving was fun. I listen to CD's in my 2019 for the simple fact that I want to turn on my truck and hear music with out messing with my phone. Same with navigation, I just want it to work all the time without me having to mess with my phone. I work in IT and still hate it. I have since moved from CDs to USB stick with my music on it since my 2025 Limited won't have a cd player. Which seems to work out well for me. If you're asking I don't like SiriusXM never have. I listen to full CDs of artist I like. Glad I am not the only one who likes the simpler things in life.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've never had any really issue with the navigation, I use it frequently. I too don't like messing with my phone when driving, I have a second car that does not have navigation so I have started to use my phone for that only because I have to but it's more of a pain.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
With wireless Android Auto or Apple Carplay, not much messing about to be honest. My phone stays in my pocket, I climb in and it starts up right away, the only difference compared to not using my phone is the better overall experience with NAV and music. Not wires or fiddling about, pretty seamless these days, I don't even have to press a button on the screen for everything to already be working after I start the truck.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you are messing with your phone while driving, that has nothing to with with using Google maps, navigation, music........ I get in my truck and just drive 99% of the time. The few times I need to use navigation, I get the route up on my phone before I ever put the truck in gear and bring up Android auto display on head unit. Being UC4, I do have the plug the phone it, but that takes seconds. After that I don't have to touch my phone again until I stop at destination and get out of the truck.

Takes longer to program in the route on my factory Nav than it does to do the same in Google maps on my phone and plug it in. And, at least in my area, there are still plenty of roads that haven't been updated in the factory Nav maps that have been around for over 10 years. I'm sure the TomTom on UC5 is probably better at that. But with Google Maps, it will have streets for new housing developments shown before the houses are even built. And the route is usually a more efficient route than the factory Nav gives.

lonepeak

Reaction score
2 days ago video. Discussion by Stellantis I6 turbo development engineer on the turbo engines, oil life, oil monitor, extreme testing, reliability, etc. Can skip first :10. He discusses oil grade and weight for both engines, break-in, etc. Rather long but worth the listen for us motor types. He does not discuss difference between construction or internals between the SO and HO. That was discussed under a Redline video posted here awhile back.

Engineer Deep Dive: 3.0L Hurricane Engine - Turbo Life, Oil ...YouTube · Pickup Truck Plus SUV Talk38 minutes, 57 seconds2 days ago

SD Rebel

Reaction score
If you are messing with your phone while driving, that has nothing to with with using Google maps, navigation, music........ I get in my truck and just drive 99% of the time. The few times I need to use navigation, I get the route up on my phone before I ever put the truck in gear and bring up Android auto display on head unit. Being UC4, I do have the plug the phone it, but that takes seconds. After that I don't have to touch my phone again until I stop at destination and get out of the truck.

Takes longer to program in the route on my factory Nav than it does to do the same in Google maps on my phone and plug it in. And, at least in my area, there are still plenty of roads that haven't been updated in the factory Nav maps that have been around for over 10 years. I'm sure the TomTom on UC5 is probably better at that. But with Google Maps, it will have streets for new housing developments shown before the houses are even built. And the route is usually a more efficient route than the factory Nav gives.

Pretty much, definitely more effort to use the factory NAV. I can just say a destination and Google Maps gets it perfect everytime, whereas the factory unit I actually need to put in the address or spell it out correctly just to find the destination. Far less fiddling about in my experience, and again, my phone is in my pocket this whole time.

Users who are viewing this thread