5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone else annoyed by the "side pockets" on the center console? Ideas for them?

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For you guys putting your holster there, is there a reason you don't keep it on you? Just asking, and not trying to derail the thread, as the holster holder was the first thing I thought of. I would think you'd want to keep your gun on you at all times. In many states, Florida included, that is considered open carry, and is illegal, even in your personal car.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
For you guys putting your holster there, is there a reason you don't keep it on you? Just asking, and not trying to derail the thread, as the holster holder was the first thing I thought of. I would think you'd want to keep your gun on you at all times. In many states, Florida included, that is considered open carry, and is illegal, even in your personal car.

Uncomfortable sitting in the seat with it in your back and on your hip interferes with the seatbelt plus if you need to get it, both those positions will slow you down

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oddly, where just about everything is illegal, not in New York State as long as you are in the vehicle with it. And New York is not considered a true open carry state.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that the picture suggests a convenient way to access the firearm for self-defense purposes, but it does not imply anyone should leave a firearm in an unsecured vehicle unattended.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 045350 miles.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have my Pedal Commander sitting inside there versus mounting it to the dash. It also fits a Capri Sun juice "box" very well.

spiG

Reaction score

I keep I there for faster access if needed. Easier to put your arm straight down and nobody think anything of it than to try and reach down to my belt. Plus more comfortable as I keep it in the front waistband so sitting for long periods gets a little annoying, even with my Beretta Nano.

RSConsulting

Reaction score

Keep it there sometimes when driving if I'm carrying a fullsize that digs into the seat cushions. "Technically" in FL - "in plain view" is legal - though try telling a cop that. And the "two step rule" is an urban legend (at least down here). Securely encased in FL means: in a glovebox or console (doesn't have to be in a holster or locked) - snap holster or zippered bag under the seat.

If I get "blue lit" and it's in that holster - I grab it and put it back in my OWB holster. Than again - I also roll down all my windows, turn my interior lights on, and hang my hands out the window as LEO approaches. Also, FL is not a "duty to inform" state - but I still tell them as soon as they are at the windows that I am license and carrying. They appreciate the concern for their safety, and it usually makes whatever I was stopped for, forgotten.

I once had a cop give me a hard time - tried to tell me "your gun came back stolen" - at which point I told them to get their supervisor to come. At which point, I produced a copy of the receipt from the gun shop (I carry all of them on me, for just thing kind of occasion). Supervisor wanted to know why I didn't just show it to the cop that stopped me - told him the dude was being an ***, and lying about my gun "being stolen", and he needed to be aware of how his officer was treating a law abiding citizen. After that was over - cop wanted to put the "naked gun" under the seat, and I assumed he was trying to set me up - so I told him either glove box, or get your supervisor back over here.

99% of the time - LEO's are cool, if you are.

That all being said - I have NO IDEA why Ram put these pockets there, especially with the kind of easily accessible storage space in the console. If I actually smoked it my truck - they would likely be FILLED WITH ASHES (or french fries if I ATE in my truck). Since I do NEITHER - I've never looked to see what's fallen in there...

Rick

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you don't have the NAV, it's a great place for maps.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 045350 miles.
My wife keeps reading material in there when we are traveling, and yes, maps. Even with the nav, she wants to see the BIG picture. Go figure?

GARebel19

Reaction score
Putting the holster like that doesn't scratch the plastic? I'm left handed so I use the door pocket for my Glock but I found the console fits a machete nicely. You never know when you might need one (I haven't yet).

Attachments

• 20210117_143320.jpg
    20210117_143320.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 281

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Uncomfortable to have it clipped to waist when sitting. When I leave the truck the holster goes with me. Would never leave the gun on plain view in an unoccupied truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wasn't asking about it in regards to always being left there. My thought is that people get car jacked all the time. You need to release the seat belt to get out and "if" you were to get caught off guard, the bad guy would have you exit the vehicle and allowing you to reach for the gun wouldn't end well for you. If you keep it on you, you can easily exit the vehicle, then address the bad guy with the gun you're carrying, not the one still in the holster in that pocket.

Again, just my thoughts about the subject. Appendix carry or small of back would definitely be uncomfortable, that's why so may do 3 or 4 o'****.

The pockets on my console are empty. There's not even any dust in them as I'm so OCD about dust and clean, I'm constantly wiping all pockets and the dash!

Roaddog359

Reaction score
you guys took the words out of my mouth. I holder for my Holster with firearm.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wasn't asking about it in regards to always being left there. My thought is that people get car jacked all the time. You need to release the seat belt to get out and "if" you were to get caught off guard, the bad guy would have you exit the vehicle and allowing you to reach for the gun wouldn't end well for you. If you keep it on you, you can easily exit the vehicle, then address the bad guy with the gun you're carrying, not the one still in the holster in that pocket.

Again, just my thoughts about the subject. Appendix carry or small of back would definitely be uncomfortable, that's why so may do 3 or 4 o'****.

The pockets on my console are empty. There's not even any dust in them as I'm so OCD about dust and clean, I'm constantly wiping all pockets and the dash!
Wow. Not to threadjack my own thread, which is being threadjacked already, but if I lived somewhere so dangerous that I had to worry about whether my gun was on my hip or clipped to my console because of car jackers my *** would be moving :p . No one's ever going to carjack me because any son of a ***** that comes running up to my truck when I'm driving on the road is getting their *** run over!

Nukegm426

Reaction score
Nothing in the drivers side one but my windshield sun shades are stored in the passenger one. It sticks up above the console level a little but it’s better than roaming around lost and hard to find.

Users who are viewing this thread