5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone done the big 3 yet?

Clayssport

Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone picked to ground? Obviously power from alt to power on battery, negative on battery to a ground point on frame.. but what about the alt ground? Seems the alternator is part of the engine case almost.. i would think its pretty well grounded there.. Alt case bolt to negative on battery?? Just a big 2??

Willy66kp

Reaction score
Thank you for asking!! I'm going alt + to batt +, leaving stock wiring alone between alt and fuse box. Battery- to chassis ground ( should be right near battery) and then block to frame ground. Thanks for any input!!!!

Clayssport

Reaction score
Have you looked to see where on the block your planning to ground? There is a bolt off the alt case that is directly bolted to the block.. or it looks that way.
Thanks for reply

Willy66kp

Reaction score
Have you looked to see where on the block your planning to ground? There is a bolt off the alt case that is directly bolted to the block.. or it looks that way.
Thanks for reply
That is exactly where I'm stuck!!! I want to use that bolt for the second ground/block location and then I think it's either a factory spot by the firewall/frame or I've seen where others have used the strut bolt???? That would complete the Big 3 for the new 5th gen (I I think). This forum is the best so I'm sure somebody will also chime in. Thanks again!!!!!!

Willy66kp

Reaction score
Are we supposed to know what the big 3 is?
Fair enough! Big 3 is a reference to adding cables from alt+ to bat+ and adding 2 additional ground cables. Cables typically comprised of 4 gauge ofc or 1/0. Why, mostly when adding high draw aftermarket components, typically car stereo equipment and Big 3 is very common in that world. With the new 5th gen I myself am uncerrainof correct path to install wiring to open up the electrical flow and enhance ground. The end result is longer battery life, less wear on alt, better stereo performance, it's a very cheap yet worthwhile mod. Its proven on older vehicles. I live in AZ so I'm concerned with temps and draw when its 115 degrees outside.

Fartknocker

Reaction score
Fair enough! Big 3 is a reference to adding cables from alt+ to bat+ and adding 2 additional ground cables. Cables typically comprised of 4 gauge ofc or 1/0. Why, mostly when adding high draw aftermarket components, typically car stereo equipment and Big 3 is very common in that world. With the new 5th gen I myself am uncerrainof correct path to install wiring to open up the electrical flow and enhance ground. The end result is longer battery life, less wear on alt, better stereo performance, it's a very cheap yet worthwhile mod. Its proven on older vehicles. I live in AZ so I'm concerned with temps and draw when its 115 degrees outside.
I used the bolt right under the alternator case and added another 4awg to the stock frame mount. Both blue arrows in the pick. Im running about 2000 watts to subwoofers and door speakers with 2 amplifiers. I have no voltage drops even at max volume since i did the big 3

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200324-004306_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200324-004306_Gallery.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 502

Fartknocker

Reaction score
That is exactly where I'm stuck!!! I want to use that bolt for the second ground/block location and then I think it's either a factory spot by the firewall/frame or I've seen where others have used the strut bolt???? That would complete the Big 3 for the new 5th gen (I I think). This forum is the best so I'm sure somebody will also chime in. Thanks again!!!!!!
20200324_005027.jpg 20200324_005027.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200324-005500_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200324-005500_Gallery.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 257

Clayssport

Reaction score
Thanks for the pic. I got everything installed over the last couple days here except the 2nd ground cable. Just running alt + to bat + and bat - to stock ground location. No voltage drop even at insane volumes. I will probably add the extra ground when the weather is nicer. Im running 1/0 so there isnt much more room on the battery. Wish the bolt was taller on the negative terminal.

M Rob

Reaction score
For those of y’all who have done the big three .. what alternator do you guys have , the stock 220. Also, did you upgrade the battery ?
Thinking bout getting back into the aftermarket sound system game !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m assuming that f you have the etorque it can’t be done

M Rob

Reaction score
Sorry ... I can’t figure out how to add my specs into the signature on mobile ( or see any of yalls for that matter)

But I do not have e torque Mine is a 2019 rebel 4x4

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sorry ... I can’t figure out how to add my specs into the signature on mobile ( or see any of yalls for that matter)

But I do not have e torque Mine is a 2019 rebel 4x4

We can see your specs...

Th8785

Reaction score
I’m assuming that f you have the etorque it can’t be done

Obviously this thread is rather old. I have the etorque myself and will be wiring for my sound system in the next week weather dependant. Obviously without traditional alt big 3 will be different, but will figure out some way to make this work. Stock cabling to my 12v batt is rather weak. Would help of anyone knows where it steps down from 48v to 12v under the hood.

Ram FF

Reaction score
Obviously this thread is rather old. I have the etorque myself and will be wiring for my sound system in the next week weather dependant. Obviously without traditional alt big 3 will be different, but will figure out some way to make this work. Stock cabling to my 12v batt is rather weak. Would help of anyone knows where it steps down from 48v to 12v under the hood.
I’m in the same boat, wanting to know how it should be done with etorque. I’m finishing up my sound deadening and was going to do that next before ordering gear.

Th8785

Reaction score
I’m in the same boat, wanting to know how it should be done with etorque. I’m finishing up my sound deadening and was going to do that next before ordering gear.
Well. Ive already picked up all my equipmemt. Haven't pulled truck apart yet but found the runs from the etorque batt to the front. Look to be 2/0 but not sure how much shielding there is. If I get a dry day to work on it I'll.make sure to post back anything I figure out

Users who are viewing this thread