5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone Considering The '24 Ram Dakota?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Will the Dakota engine compartment be long enough for a straight 6? The originals were not. More than likely turbo 4.
Didn't take much to drop a v-10 or Cummins in the 2nd gen Dakotas.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
Now that's a sleeper! Nothing but the exhaust note to give it away and the V10's sound like V6's anyways.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any ideas if they will think about a electric dakota?

Like taxes, Gas prices keep going up, full size trucks prices are high, and personally I might downgrade my ram to something smaller. In the next couple of years. I can get a VERY good spec out midsized compared to a very pricy full size ev.

I'm trying to keep an open mind here and electric is just soo much cheaper for me, it's something I want to do next. Out of the big makers. The only one I would be comfortable in getting electric because of experience is toyota so I'm waiting to see more details on the taco ev. I haven't heard much from anybody else and their smaller Trucks.

It would make sense for smaller trucks to ev then larger ones...just due to range and towing absolutely sucks in an ev.

2022 Ram Big Horn Back Country
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

BNeal

Reaction score
Just stopped by the local Chevy dealer to see if I would fit in a '23 Colorado. Surprising amount of room in the front seat and I found it to be pretty comfortable. The back seat on the other hand is for decoration only. If the front seat is all the way back - which it is with me, there is literally only about 2" between the back seat and the front. Also, they are still marking the truck up $2k over MSRP. No way I'll pay that.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just stopped by the local Chevy dealer to see if I would fit in a '23 Colorado. Surprising amount of room in the front seat and I found it to be pretty comfortable. The back seat on the other hand is for decoration only. If the front seat is all the way back - which it is with me, there is literally only about 2" between the back seat and the front. Also, they are still marking the truck up $2k over MSRP. No way I'll pay that.
gm always has the smallest interiors in class for everything they build. I laughed 8 or 10 years ago, when I went to a Chevy dealer, and saw the model that compared with the Charger I was driving. It was the same way, with the front seat about 2" from the back seat. The salesman tried telling me it was the largest interior in class. LOL. Their largest full size cab is smaller than a quad cab Ram. My daughter has an Equinox, and the interior is so small, my left hip is pressed hard against the console, and my right shoulder is hard against the door, making me lean, when in the passenger seat. They must have Chinese engineers working on their interiors, now that they are half owned by China.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I decide to get a midsized truck (only real reason is because price tags on full size trucks are just ridiculous) I would be spoiled with the amount of room in my ram.

That's why I'm closely looking at EV pricing on the new ram Rev and smaller trucks. I'm already looking at prices STARTING at $55k for full size trucks and that's just crazy money for the average middle class worker.

On a separate (but related) issue, I know the EV stuff is not for everybody, and that's ok . Just tired of paying $3.50 for gas....I can deal with slow charging it at home. If I can get away with a cheaper midsized EV, that price point would work out better for me instead of full size.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
gm always has the smallest interiors in class for everything they build. I laughed 8 or 10 years ago, when I went to a Chevy dealer, and saw the model that compared with the Charger I was driving. It was the same way, with the front seat about 2" from the back seat. The salesman tried telling me it was the largest interior in class. LOL. Their largest full size cab is smaller than a quad cab Ram. My daughter has an Equinox, and the interior is so small, my left hip is pressed hard against the console, and my right shoulder is hard against the door, making me lean, when in the passenger seat. They must have Chinese engineers working on their interiors, now that they are half owned by China.
The Chevy Traverse has the most passenger room if any full size SUV. And up until last year, even had more room than the Tahoe. Now you can get slightly more room in the Tahoe XL, but it has to be the XL model. .

6of36

Reaction score
The Chevy Traverse has the most passenger room if any full size SUV. And up until last year, even had more room than the Tahoe. Now you can get slightly more room in the Tahoe XL, but it has to be the XL model. .
I beg to differ. Her last car was a Traverse, and was much larger than that Equinox, but my Durango is still roomier. Neither is a full size in my opinion. I'm talking front and second row. They may have larger third row, but I don't even use the second. I just needed towing capacity, which none of their SUVs have.

Ramintime

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone is considering a move to the new Dakota. Depending on what it looks like, I may be interested in checking it out. Would really love the extra garage space, and am no longer towing anything. However, I'm tall, and my 1500 fits me like a glove, so that will be a huge factor. Anyway, just interested in your comments.

View attachment 158705
I was originally considering one until I read an article that said the Dakota will most likely be competing against the Ford Maverick instead of the Ranger/Colorado.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
If I decide to get a midsized truck (only real reason is because price tags on full size trucks are just ridiculous) I would be spoiled with the amount of room in my ram.

That's why I'm closely looking at EV pricing on the new ram Rev and smaller trucks. I'm already looking at prices STARTING at $55k for full size trucks and that's just crazy money for the average middle class worker.

On a separate (but related) issue, I know the EV stuff is not for everybody, and that's ok . Just tired of paying $3.50 for gas....I can deal with slow charging it at home. If I can get away with a cheaper midsized EV, that price point would work out better for me instead of full size.
I wonder if you would even save money buying an EV vs using gas even if you are able to slow charge is. Electricity is getting very expensive over here and from what i'm told by some local Tesla owners they pay around $40-55 to "fill the tank" although I am not sure how many miles they are getting with it.
The price of an EV is so much higher kind of like hybrids you gota do some napkin math to know if you will ever save.
I beg to differ. Her last car was a Traverse, and was much larger than that Equinox, but my Durango is still roomier. Neither is a full size in my opinion. I'm talking front and second row. They may have larger third row, but I don't even use the second. I just needed towing capacity, which none of their SUVs have.
The Traverse is the same as an Equinox but bigger.
I did notice there was more headroom in the third row on my Acadia vs the Traverse (they are suppose to be the same size but Chevy vs GMC)
The second row as sliding seats and again a boat load of space (I have 2 seats not a bench)

The Acadia is very very roomy if you're okay with being so low to the ground like a car.

My Acadia has more space inside then my fathers Yukon only difference is the Yukon is higher from the ground (and different engine)

6of36

Reaction score
I wonder if you would even save money buying an EV vs using gas even if you are able to slow charge is. Electricity is getting very expensive over here and from what i'm told by some local Tesla owners they pay around $40-55 to "fill the tank" although I am not sure how many miles they are getting with it.
The price of an EV is so much higher kind of like hybrids you gota do some napkin math to know if you will ever save.

The Traverse is the same as an Equinox but bigger.
I did notice there was more headroom in the third row on my Acadia vs the Traverse (they are suppose to be the same size but Chevy vs GMC)
The second row as sliding seats and again a boat load of space (I have 2 seats not a bench)

The Acadia is very very roomy if you're okay with being so low to the ground like a car.

My Acadia has more space inside then my fathers Yukon only difference is the Yukon is higher from the ground (and different engine)
An Equinox and a Traverse are not the same. That's like saying a Ranger and an F150 are the same. My son in law has an Acadia. The seats slide, unlike the Durango, that don't, but it doesn't have more room, until the back. Even at that we were talking Equinox. None of which have anything to do with a Dakota.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Still working out the numbers, so I'm no expert. Roughly charging would be 3 times cheaper than gas...then again the time it takes to do it. The official number would be something like if it charged the ford f150 lighnting $100 each month, the equivalent for gas would be $350ish. Now that is only charging times during peak hours. Charging cost can drop off during off peak hours.

The thing that folks need to account for with a EV is what time you charge. That's no different than gas prices changing every week. It either goes up, or goes down. At night is when you get the cheapest amount of charging.

To stay on topic is the midsized trucks.

What I'm hoping for the midsized segment is to have a decent size battery (something between an ev car and ev truck) and my target number is 300 miles on a single charge. Personally with my commute, I'm not looking to charge for at least 2 weeks ( I have a super small commute)

But that's just me and what I have calculated. I also have solar panels so my electric cost is going to be low anyway.

6of36

Reaction score
Still working out the numbers, so I'm no expert. Roughly charging would be 3 times cheaper than gas...then again the time it takes to do it. The official number would be something like if it charged the ford f150 lighnting $100 each month, the equivalent for gas would be $350ish. Now that is only charging times during peak hours. Charging cost can drop off during off peak hours.

The thing that folks need to account for with a EV is what time you charge. That's no different than gas prices changing every week. It either goes up, or goes down. At night is when you get the cheapest amount of charging.

What I'm hoping for the midsized segment is to have a decent size battery (something between an ev car and ev truck) and my target number is 300 miles on a single charge. Personally with my commute, I'm not looking to charge for at least 2 weeks ( I have a super small commute)

But that's just me and what I have calculated. I also have solar panels so my electric cost is going to be low anyway.

That's fine if you don't drive, you can wait for cheap times. If you travel, It can add hours to the daily trip, and therefore an extra day plus an extra hotel stay, to a cross country trip. Plus you can't wait each stop for the lower rate.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Also factor in the lack of oil changes, air filters, belts, spark plugs etc. The time and money involved in that maintenance adds up over time too.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

Keep in mind that most batteries charge best between 20-80%.

You will spend more electricity to "top off your EV" then if you can keep it charged to around 80% during the week.
If you for sure don't need the extra charge then don't drain it below 20% or charge it over 80-90%.

Have you looked in to Rivian?

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Keep in mind that most batteries charge best between 20-80%.

You will spend more electricity to "top off your EV" then if you can keep it charged to around 80% during the week.
If you for sure don't need the extra charge then don't drain it below 20% or charge it over 80-90%.

Have you looked in to Rivian?
If I had the money and afford it, yes. But it's out of my pay grade. I need something cheaper.

Initially I was on the ford lighting bandwagon with the first round of pricing which was around $45k. Then after that first year, they jacked up the pricing and that pretty much ended me getting that one. I was actually glad...was not ready to hear that stupid ford entry chime when I press the start button. I just hate that sound.

Right now, I'm perfectly happy with my ram back country. It has everything I need, but gas prices, like taxes only go up. Electric prices are going up, but literally on pennies. If I can save with an ev, that would be nice...but I'm going to wait to get more news about the dakota and if they will give us a ev platform. now my wife has a jeep wrangler and that 2.0 turbo engine is loud. So I'm not fond of that engine platform.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've sat in all the SUVs. And we need third row room for our family. But even second row room, there really isn't a comparison.

6of36

Reaction score
I've sat in all the SUVs. And we need third row room for our family. But even second row room, there really isn't a comparison.
I agree there is no comparison, they are nowhere near the vehicle the Durango is.

Users who are viewing this thread