5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone Considering The '24 Ram Dakota?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I agree there is no comparison, they are nowhere near the vehicle the Durango is.
My Ex wife had a Durango R/T. Even my kids said our Traverse was more comfortable and had more room

river rat

Reaction score
If it ends up like this, I think it looks pretty good. Alot of 1500 design cues

ram-rampage-autos-segredos-projecao-du-oliveira-732x488.jpg

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Looks like a Ridgeline, not a truck. I just checked, and they are only capable of a class III hitch, and tow max 5,000 lbs. Not a truck.
Everyone has their own definition of what a truck is. I have lots of friends who don't consider a 1500 a real truck. Some don't consider anything with a pick-up bed a truck. If the vehicle @river rat posted is what gets made there will be plenty of buyers for it.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Everyone has their own definition of what a truck is. I have lots of friends who don't consider a 1500 a real truck. Some don't consider anything with a pick-up bed a truck. If the vehicle @river rat posted is what gets made there will be plenty of buyers for it.
I have even seen people say that my 4 door charger scat pack isn't a muscle car...so it definitely is an opinion.

But if it has a bed, in my eyes it's considered a truck.

Curious to know why Stellantis is using the name Ramage instead of dakota. Is there some kind of history I'm missing with that rampage namesake?

2022 Ram Big Horn Back Country
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have even seen people say that my 4 door charger scat pack isn't a muscle car...so it definitely is an opinion.

But if it has a bed, in my eyes it's considered a truck.

Curious to know why Stellantis is using the name Ramage instead of dakota. Is there some kind of history I'm missing with that rampage namesake?

Dodge made a Rampage in the early 80s. Looked like a compact El Camino, or Subaru Brat(if you remember those). From what I've read, the Rampage will be small unibody construction based off the Liberty/Renegade platform, and is currently only planned for South America. The Dakota will be midsize and possibly use the Jeep Cherokee platform.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Dodge made a Rampage in the early 80s. Looked like a compact El Camino, or Subaru Brat(if you remember those). From what I've read, the Rampage will be small unibody construction based off the Liberty/Renegade platform, and is currently only planned for South America. The Dakota will be midsize and possibly use the Jeep Cherokee platform.

You mean one of these?
IMG_0058.jpeg

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Ohh...yeah. I remember those. My dad had a burgundy el Camino ( I'm 45 btw) so yeah.. those things are just too small back then.

So it's more of a ridgeline (unibody) then a Tacoma, frontier, Colorado ( Body on frame). So right there towing and payload numbers will be lower.

ShortStack

Reaction score
That looks like the Honda pickup (or drop off in their case) - swap out the grill and you'll see it.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
And what is the true definition of a truck? If a Ridgeline truck fit my needs, I would buy the Honda truck, and enjoy driving the Honda truck.
Any real truck should be able to at least tow a pontoon boat, which a ridgeline won't.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not rated for my boat. Either you have a lightly built boat, or you are towing beyond rating. I do see you have very short pontoons for the deck.
Not mine. Just a Google find. Honda's truck doesn't fit my needs.

6of36

Reaction score
Not mine. Just a Google find. Honda's truck doesn't fit my needs.
My pontoon and trailer weighs 4,800 empty. Ridgeline has 5,000 lb towing. It can't tow a pontoon boat unless going over it's limit. Not a truck. But this thread is about Dakotas.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My pontoon and trailer weighs 4,800 empty. Ridgeline has 5,000 lb towing. It can't tow a pontoon boat unless going over it's limit. Not a truck. But this thread is about Dakotas.

And I’m sure those that are in the midsize segment looking for a smaller truck aren’t looking for those big tow numbers…like what you would want in a full size truck.

I don’t tow much and I don’t put too much in my bed ( outside the normal Home Depot trips, beach trips, bike trips, where 3 kids worth of crap comes into play) , but it is something that is very useful when needed. Storage is super important to me..and the more I have, the better. When I do use the bed and my rambox, I used up about 90% of it.

So back to topic….I’m going to guess here that the bed size for the rampage/Dakota will be universal. I think the Tacoma are the only one out of the makers that can have multiple bed sizes…even though the longer bed size just kinda looks weird.

2022 Ram 1500 Back Country
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (wife)

6of36

Reaction score
And I’m sure those that are in the midsize segment looking for a smaller truck aren’t looking for those big tow numbers…like what you would want in a full size truck.

I don’t tow much and I don’t put too much in my bed ( outside the normal Home Depot trips, beach trips, bike trips, where 3 kids worth of crap comes into play) , but it is something that is very useful when needed. Storage is super important to me..and the more I have, the better. When I do use the bed and my rambox, I used up about 90% of it.

So back to topic….I’m going to guess here that the bed size for the rampage/Dakota will be universal. I think the Tacoma are the only one out of the makers that can have multiple bed sizes…even though the longer bed size just kinda looks weird.

2022 Ram 1500 Back Country
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (wife)
My Durango tows 7,200 lbs. With tow and go it's 8,700. I expect any truck to surpass that.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Durango tows 7,200 lbs. With tow and go it's 8,700. I expect any truck to surpass that.
Your not going to get close to that in a midsized truck.

Users who are viewing this thread