5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any Drawbacks to 33 Gallon Tank?

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
I’d bet the majority that ordered trucks and had the $445 option to select a 33 gallon fuel tank did so. Doing long distance towing, it’s a big advantage being able to travel 4+ hrs without stopping for fuel.

During the 4 winter months that I’m not traveling rarely will I fill over 3/4 full. I seldom fuel before the low fuel light comes on.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, there are two significant drawbacks to a 33 gallon tank.

1. Reduced payload.
2. Depends aren't that comfortable to wear for a long distance trip.

My Ecodiesel has a 26-gallon tank which assuming only 25 mpgs (it typically gets 28 to 29 mpg on the highway) would yield a driving distance of approximately 630 miles. Assuming I'm doing 75 mph, that means I can drive almost eight hours before filling up.

I used to have a nine-hour bladder but with age it's been reduced to four hours. And that is reduced significantly if you have a female in the cab! ;) There is no way I'm wearing or going to get my wife to wear Depends for a long distance trip.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just tossing in some statistics for discussion. Out of the 137,351 build sheets that have been issued for the 2022 model year:
  • 15,490 have the 23 gallon tank
  • 81,778 have the 26 gallon tank
  • 40,083 have the 33 gallon tank (keep in mind that 7,210 of them are TRX's and that's the only tank option)

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Payload is a drawback? Really? I mean, you must take a dump and strip to your jock strap before going to pick up some lumber at Home Depot. Take your moisture meter with you too. Don't want a wet 2x4.

Really. Gas is like 6 pounds a gallon. Is 60 pounds breaking your limit to haul something?

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
Just tossing in some statistics for discussion. Out of the 137,351 build sheets that have been issued for the 2022 model year:
  • 40,083 have the 33 gallon tank (keep in mind that 7,210 of them are TRX's and that's the only tank option)
Interesting, but not surprising, as I would bet the majority of those trucks are dealer (not customer) orders.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I'm alone in this opinion, but I have the 23 gallon tank and don't feel like I'm missing out. I do prefer the additional payload, though.

We just finished up a trip where the computer tells me we averaged 10.2 MPG. We stop every couple of hours and I just fill it up then. No issues for me.

When I was younger and would try to stretch out driving distance, I'd have probably sacrificed the payload for the bigger tank.
I get what you're saying. Payload is important to anyone who tows or hauls cargo. But it's really not much of a hit to payload. 10 gallons of gas weighs roughly 60 pounds. Someone who's worried about 60 pounds of payload might want to consider a more stripped down 1500, or even an HD.

doolin64

Reaction score
It's all mental for me. I was looking for and then specifically ordered a 33 gallon tank. I rarely let it go below halfway. It's convenient for the 2-3 roadtrips we do each year. But as others stated, I couldn't drive a tank from Full to Empty without stopping to empty my bladder. If I had a diesel, a 26 gallon would be more than fine.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Payload is a drawback? Really? I mean, you must take a dump and strip to your jock strap before going to pick up some lumber at Home Depot. Take your moisture meter with you too. Don't want a wet 2x4.

Really. Gas is like 6 pounds a gallon. Is 60 pounds breaking your limit to haul something?
You're making the assumption all you gain is fuel weight. There is the weight differential of the smaller tank over the larger tank plus additional supports, etc.
I get what you're saying. Payload is important to anyone who tows or hauls cargo. But it's really not much of a hit to payload. 10 gallons of gas weighs roughly 60 pounds. Someone who's worried about 60 pounds of payload might want to consider a more stripped down 1500, or even an HD.
I'll keep my 26-gallon factory diesel tank so I can take my 60-pound grandson with me and still be able to stop pee every four hours. ;) Stopping can be good for stretching the old legs...I'm not driving a Peterbuilt with 250-gallon saddle tanks.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Yes, a reduction of 70 lbs to my payload is a drawback when I bought the truck specifically to tow a camper and haul the gear that goes along with it. I need the 70 lbs a lot more than I need extra miles I'll never use.

Some of us do a little more than go pick up avocado toast in our trucks.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's 70 lbs, I wanted a truck that was comfortable to be in, and the HD doesn't have the features we wanted.

My truck is exactly what I wanted (minus the interior color), and it fits my needs perfectly.

If I needed fuel range, I'd be driving something else.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's 70 lbs, I wanted a truck that was comfortable to be in, and the HD doesn't have the features we wanted.

My truck is exactly what I wanted (minus the interior color), and it fits my needs perfectly.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I don't want to wear Depends!

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Haha...well, since you started the nitpicking, 10 gallons of gas weighs 64 pounds (6.4lbs/gallon * 10 gallons).

Not sure what your 1500 Laramie has that a 2500 Laramie doesn't. But then again I wasn't shopping for a 2500 so I'm not completely clear on the differences other than the sheet metal. But we're all entitled to buy the vehicles we want, and I fully support that. I'm just not sure I'd buy a truck that barely meets the tow and cargo ratings I'll be needing. Glad you're happy with the size of your tank. That's what matters the most in the end. (y)

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Haha...well, since you started the nitpicking, 10 gallons of gas weighs 64 pounds (6.4lbs/gallon * 10 gallons).

Not sure what your 1500 Laramie has that a 2500 Laramie doesn't. But then again I wasn't shopping for a 2500 so I'm not completely clear on the differences other than the sheet metal. But we're all entitled to buy the vehicles we want, and I fully support that. I'm just not sure I'd buy a truck that barely meets the tow and cargo ratings I'll be needing. Glad you're happy with the size of your tank. That's what matters the most in the end. (y)
Ride son, ride! :) He won't admit it but even Mountain Whisky learned his lesson and dumped his 2500 when "Maw's" dentures fell out driving up the hollar in that 2500! ;)

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
That 33 gal tank didn’t affect my Laramie 1595# payload very much, but I Do Not have DP panoramic sunroof, etorue, power running boards, MFT, Ram Box or Off Road pkg.

I ordered for towing 7k# and greatest distance on gas. I tow Upper Midwest / Midwest 70% of the trips and these roads are uncomfortable towing compared to South of the Mason/ Dixon line. Traveling alone I do over ten 1,000 mi/ 16+hrs with 3 stops straight through trips yearly, not a problem. I’m 70.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Well, while we're nitpicking, the empty tank weighs more and so do the additional mounting materials for the tank. The difference in weight between a truck with a 23 gallon tank and a 33 gallon tank is 70 lbs. 🍻

My 1500 has a panoramic sunroof (wife's requirement), a lower purchase price, better fuel economy, and is easier to drive around and park in bigger cities we'll be visiting frequently.

It wasn't about buying a truck that barely meets my requirements. We were about 260 lbs under payload last trip. I like having that buffer for when we decide to boondock and take the generator or when we want to bring kayaks or bikes.

Another point for me, is that we're adding a Diamondback bed cover which weighs 100+ lbs. I have zero use for a 33 gallon tank, and the weight I don't add for that will be better served with that bed cover.

Last edited:

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The additional weight of the bigger tank and support bracket is ~6 lbs for 26g to 33g. Going 23g to 33g will still be <10 lbs. Simply a non-factor

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
15,490 people are getting screwed

Users who are viewing this thread