5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anti spin or not?

golfnut

Reaction score
I'm looking at two 1500 big Horn trucks. A 2019 with anti spin differential and a 2020 without it. Is it really that good of an option if just using it for commuting to work? I live in Wisconsin and it does snow a few times a winter. I would just put it in 4wd Auto if there was snow.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You can get by without one, usually, if you know how to drive in snow and have good tires. I prefer to have one (or the e-locker) to give you some extra options/convenience in the white stuff and mud, and wouldn't buy a truck without one myself, but its not the end of the world.

79 300

Reaction score
I owned one pickup without it in the past. If you pull out from a stop in the rain (especially going uphill) you will usually start spinning without the anti -spin. This was if in 2WD, which is most of the time. I would never buy one with the open rear again. The salesman will say it isn't needed with the newer traction control systems and with 4WD, but believe me you will not regret having it.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Without an anti spin or e locker your 4wd truck is essentially a 2wd truck since the front is an open diff too.

Personally I wouldn't own one without it. It shouldn't even be an option in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If it was available, I would take it. You can get around most of the year, even in snow with RWD and the anti-soin without needing to use 4wd.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Get the truck you like. You will never miss it if you didn't feel you needed to have it.

Two identical trucks with or without...i would get the better deal.

Two different truck builds...one with everything you wanted but without anti spin...get the one with all the other options you want.

golfnut

Reaction score
One is a 2019 with 27,000 miles with anti spin, other is 2020 with 6500 miles without it. 2020 looks nicer with sport package. Just don't know what anti spin really provides in normal driving.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
One is a 2019 with 27,000 miles with anti spin, other is 2020 with 6500 miles without it. 2020 looks nicer with sport package. Just don't know what anti spin really provides in normal driving.
It helps prevent one wheel peel and traction control kicking in as soon, killing your power. If you like the 2020 betterz the anti-spin isn't worth it to get a truck you don't like as much

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's helpful when using 2wd. I drove my last truck for two winters without anti-spin. I just kept it in auto 4wd if there was snow on the roads and never had any problems. Given a choice I would get it. My current truck has it, and I'd order it if I was ordering a truck, but it wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me if I found a truck I wanted that otherwise checked all the boxes for options I wanted.

RC Turner

Reaction score
I like a limited slip differential but always remember that on slippery roads it will normally make the rear go sideways as opposed to straight ahead. Depending on the wheelbase and driving style they can be quite dangerous.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You can always add a locker down the road if you feel you need it. I know the market for good used trucks is pretty slim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Again. Especially now knowing the details...i would absolutely get the truck without it.

It provides no(minimal) help in normal driving.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Again. Especially now knowing the details...i would absolutely get the truck without it.

It provides no help in normal driving.
It can most definitely help in normal driving. It's usually transparent to most drivers who don't k ow any better. Improved cornering without spinning the inside tire all the time. Better traction in conditions where there is reduced traction.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It can most definitely help in normal driving. It's usually transparent to most drivers who don't k ow any better. Improved cornering without spinning the inside tire all the time. Better traction in conditions where there is reduced traction.
And with 4wd auto and an excellent traction control system...i would not chose the other truck in this particular discussion.

Not a chance.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I like a limited slip differential but always remember that on slippery roads it will normally make the rear go sideways as opposed to straight ahead. Depending on the wheelbase and driving style they can be quite dangerous.
Only makes rear go sideways if front wheels are turned, or there is a difference in traction between the two rear wheels. And if you can't control the rear end sliding out, should probably practice because it can happen even with an open diff in slippery conditions.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And with 4wd auto and an excellent traction control system...i would not chose the other truck in this particular discussion.

Not a chance.
4wd, auto or otherwise, is a crutch for most people who can't drive for the conditions. Also, leads to more accidents in snow/ice as makes people over confident in the abilities of their vehicles, especially when trying to slow down

Users who are viewing this thread