5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anti spin or not?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
4wd, auto or otherwise, is a crutch for most people who can't drive for the conditions. Also, leads to more accidents in snow/ice as makes people over confident in the abilities of their vehicles, especially when trying to slow down
I completely agree...so is anti spin?

With the information the OP gave...i would not lose a minutes sleep without it.

4wd auto is the proper tool for the job on most highways.

We are saying the same thing...he lives in Wisconsin I am assuming he knows how to drive in winter.

I spent many a winter we driving this on main roads...open diff 2wd...AT tires. 20160628_113336.jpg

But i also know how much easier it is with a true 4x4.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I completely agree...so is anti spin.

With the information the OP gave...i would not lose a minutes sleep without it.

4wd auto is the proper tool for the job on most highways.

We are saying the same thing...he lives in Wisconsin I am assuming he knows how to drive in winter.

I spent many a winter we driving this on main roads...open diff 2wd...AT tires. View attachment 115677

But i also know how much easier it is with a true 4x4.
Not sure I'd call anti-spin a crutch. If you aren't used to it, most people will spin out of control easier with it. My Ram is the first 4wd truck I have owned. Had an AWD Magnum R/T I sold for the Ram, which was the first AWD vehicle I have ever owned. Drove most of my life with RWD, and several years with FWD. Both my Dakota R/Ts I had were limited slip 9.25 axles with 3.92 gears. Until I replaced the limited slip clutches with a Powertrax locker. Still drove them year round. Made them way more fun to drive because I knew how to control the trucks when the back end kicked out, which I usually did in purpose.

Tires make more of a difference than limited slip/anti-spin or even 4wd when just driving every day on roads/highways.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
My 11 Bighorn didnt have a limited slip diff and it was fine for the New England winter snow. I bought my 21 BTS off the lot and it came with the E-locker diff but I don't think I'll ever use it. I dont go offroading and the truck has traction control and is 4x4 so I think it's not necessary for my use

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not sure I'd call anti-spin a crutch. If you aren't used to it, most people will spin out of control easier with it. My Ram is the first 4wd truck I have owned. Had an AWD Magnum R/T I sold for the Ram, which was the first AWD vehicle I have ever owned. Drove most of my life with RWD, and several years with FWD. Both my Dakota R/Ts I had were limited slip 9.25 axles with 3.92 gears. Until I replaced the limited slip clutches with a Powertrax locker. Still drove them year round. Made them way more fun to drive because I knew how to control the trucks when the back end kicked out, which I usually did in purpose.

Tires make more of a difference than limited slip/anti-spin or even 4wd when just driving every day on roads/highways.
Yup. You just have to know how to drive it. Much to your advantage to have 3 wheels of traction when needed than just two.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We are saying the same thing.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was under the impression that it's basically a must-have IF you also have the 3.92 gears, due to the extra low-end torque. From what I understand 4WD auto (or High if the roads are really a mess) will take care of you, though I've also heard that driving in 4WD Auto all the time is bad for your drivetrain. Not sure why.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Clutch pack in the tcase stays partially engaged, your front driveline is engaged in auto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Clutch pack in the tcase stays partially engaged, your front driveline is engaged in auto.

Nope, still don't know why 😅

Just puts more wear on the front driveline? I had a JGC 4x4 before this, with the Quadra-Drive II system and of course its standard mode was "Auto", which would engage 4-wheel drive under certain slippage conditions. Had assumed Ram's would work similarly but I guess not...?

Anyway, point is, I feel a lot more comfortable staying in 2WD in most conditions with the ASD. If I didn't have that, I'd be tempted to stay in 4WD Auto except on dry highway runs.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Because parts of your driveline are still partially engaged when in auto. It’s not like an awd system

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Because parts of your driveline are still partially engaged when in auto. It’s not like an awd system

Okay, I *think* I understood *most* of that lol.

So a JGC's "Auto" mode is really an AWD application, and it's not actually in full-time 4WD mode unless you put it in something like "Snow" or "Mud", is that right?

And then Ram's "4WD Auto" is similar to the "Auto" portion of the JGC's default mode, but it also still has part of your front driveline engaged, similar to what you'd see in the JGC's "Snow" or "Mud" settings, making Ram's 2WD + ASD a good combo to retain traction while not having to go into 4WD Auto very often...

HAL9001

Reaction score
Mine came without a locker or anti-spin diff which really pissed me off. It was specd by the dealer without either. I bought the truck because everything else was a near-perfect match to what I was going to order and they made me an offer I couldn't refuse. The dealer said I wouldn't need either due to the electronic traction control. Others on this forum also confirmed that. I still didn't believe it.

I live deep in the snow belt and routinely travel on icy mountain roads. My long driveway is on a steep grade. In all of last winter and so far this winter, I have never come close to being stuck. I even tried to get it stuck on my steep driveway when it was covered with snow and ice to test it. I went halfway up and then stopped cold on the steepest part (knowing I could still back down). In 4WD, the wheels will start to spin but then the traction control quickly takes over and applies braking to the spinning wheel(s) causing the others to grab. It's effectively an electronic antispin. I could not get it stuck no matter how hard I tried, it always made it up the driveway, even better than my previous trucks with mechanical antispin diffs. It may not be as fast and immediate as a locker, but it works as well as an antislip without the side effects. It even works well in 4WD Auto. I can even back my 8,000 lb travel trailer up my steep loose gravel driveway uphill with no issues. The traction is great even with the stock 22" Goodyears.

They did a great job designing this truck. While I still would have liked a locking diff, I have no worries about the effectiveness of mine without one.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Correct. And with more of your driveline engaged it also decreases mpg.

That’s why it’s suggested to use in marginal conditions.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine came without a locker or anti-spin diff which really pissed me off. It was specd by the dealer without either. I bought the truck because everything else was a near-perfect match to what I was going to order and they made me an offer I couldn't refuse. The dealer said I wouldn't need either due to the electronic traction control. Others on this forum also confirmed that. I still didn't believe it.

I live deep in the snow belt and routinely travel on icy mountain roads. My long driveway is on a steep grade. In all of last winter and so far this winter, I have never come close to being stuck. I even tried to get it stuck on my steep driveway when it was covered with snow and ice to test it. I went halfway up and then stopped cold on the steepest part (knowing I could still back down). In 4WD, the wheels will start to spin but then the traction control quickly takes over and applies braking to the spinning wheel(s) causing the others to grab. It's effectively an electronic antispin. I could not get it stuck no matter how hard I tried, it always made it up the driveway, even better than my previous trucks with mechanical antispin diffs. It may not be as fast and immediate as a locker, but it works as well as an antislip without the side effects. It even works well in 4WD Auto. I can even back my 8,000 lb travel trailer up my steep loose gravel driveway uphill with no issues. The traction is great even with the stock 22" Goodyears.

They did a great job designing this truck. While I still would have liked a locking diff, I have no worries about the effectiveness of mine without one.
Do you have the 3.92 gears?

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Correct. And with more of your driveline engaged it also decreases mpg.

That’s why it’s suggested to use in marginal conditions.

This is definitely the best grasp I've ever had on the whole AWD vs 4WD drive thing, much appreciated. I've been using 4WD Auto on the highway during moderate-to-heavy rain. You think that's overkill and I'm good so long as I'm not hitting sharp curves? I have 3.92's and the ASD.

HAL9001

Reaction score
I see. And do you use 4WD Auto in like highway rain driving, or you feel solid in just 2WD?
The only time I use 4WD Auto is when there is snow or ice on the road, (or offroad) otherwise, I stay in 2WD even in the rain. Maybe if the rain was torrential and the highway was becoming flooded, I might be tempted to use 4WD Auto, but ordinary rain, no.

Keep in mind that the Electronic Traction Control system is always looking after you whether you're in 2WD or 4WD and in many cases, especially in the rain, it can be considerably more effective than 4WD Auto in ensuring that you remain on the road and in control.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a used truck and I definitely wanted the ASD or E-Locker. However, a great truck at a great price, but without either is sitting in the driveway as I type. And guess what...After almost 40K miles of driving it I have not yet had a need for it, or kicked myself for not having it. To the contrary, last winter I easily pulled a stuck camry out of a ditch on half worn tires using 4WD high, and again just a few weeks ago on a steep log road in the mountains of Pennsylvania I made it all the way to the top of the mountain in 2WD, and then it snowed about 4 inches in top of soft mud and I thought I'd be in trouble with a particularly steep and untraveled muddy section...threw it in 4WD High and did not once slip a wheel. I do somewhat credit having nearly new all season tires, but still...not the slightest spin. I'm not saying I'd avoid having one or the other by any means, just that for most occasions it's not necessary.

Point is, based on your description of your use case, and factoring in my personal experience, I would not worry about it one little bit.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is definitely the best grasp I've ever had on the whole AWD vs 4WD drive thing, much appreciated. I've been using 4WD Auto on the highway during moderate-to-heavy rain. You think that's overkill and I'm good so long as I'm not hitting sharp curves? I have 3.92's and the ASD.
Way overkill using 4auto in the rain. It would really only make a difference when pulling away from a stop. Once driving at speed, the 4auto setting would do nothing to keep you on the road. If you are going to hydroplane, it's going to hydroplane no matter what your transfer case is set to.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Way overkill using 4auto in the rain. It would really only make a difference when pulling away from a stop. Once driving at speed, the 4auto setting would do nothing to keep you on the road. If you are going to hydroplane, it's going to hydroplane no matter what your transfer case is set to.
I agree with your hydroplaning theory, but that's not all there is to rain causing slick conditions. When you have extended periods of no rainfall, the first rain will cause all kinds of things to be released from the pavement. Oil, rubber, and just general dirt, can all make the pavement very slick until it's washed clean by the rain. For that short period of time, auto 4wd can be very beneficial. How long that lasts depends on the amount of rain that's falling, as the more rain there is the faster the pavement is washed clean.

Users who are viewing this thread