5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another Poor Warranty Experience with RAM

pinkerton

Reaction score
It's my turn to complain - please send condolences or pile on as desired

List: Axle wrap, back up sensors too sensitive, carpet bulge in floor mat, driver's seat cover came off again, LR door bounce when closing, no carplay, front tire wear, bed light out at third brake light
10/16 drop off Ttruck
10/17: Axle wrap - did software update (which likely won't work according to this forum), Fixed bed light, acknowledged tire wear issue and agreed to push camber to upper limit, did software update for back up sensors, sent photos to chrysler for seat cover and floor mat carpet (really??) - did not understand door closing bounce or carplay issue (I asked to please check again)
10/20: No answers from Chrylser, still not acknowledging carplay issue or door bounce
10/21: Ordered new floor mat and new radio to fix carplay, ETA 7-10 days. Still not acknowledging door bounce
10/23: Had body shop manager look at the door and he agreed to fix
10/27: Truck back from body shop, still no radio or floor mat from Chrysler
10/28: Same
10/29: Same
10/30: I call and get the same answer and proceed to pressure the service manager. He admits they have an ETA on the radio of 11/17, other parts should arrive in a few days

Of course they offer me the option to come and pick up the truck if I need it..

For those of you paying attention, the problem of getting parts is compounded by the fact that the truck was in for almost a week before parts were ordered.

No fool should buy a vehicle from a manufacturer that can't stand behind it - RAM has made me a fool and I won't forget it.

RHeller1

Reaction score
So your issue is more with the dealership not moving at a pace you would prefer? It seems they are fixing everything and they did say to pick up truck if you need it. It does seem FCA is standing behind it...No?

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FCA will only re-imburse them for the days that they are working on the truck. After that the dealership isn't making any money and it turns into a loaner. My dealership charges FCA $40/day for my rental when they do my warranty work.

With COVID parts are scarce. I had to wait almost a month for my rear window to come in (took several days to get it approved by FCA then order the window) and I'm still waiting on a tailgate cable after 2 months. Personally, as long as the work/item is approved I'll wait however long it takes for the dealership to get supplies for the repair. If it's a safety issue and is not driveable then I rack up the miles on the loaner/rental.

I'm confused on your axle wrap. With a multi-link rear setup your axle cannot rotate around causing extreme pinion angles, only ride up and down.

One of the selling points for me was the coil spring rear/multi-link setup. It is a much better ride than leafs and there's no axle wrap. You effectively have traction bars from the factory.

reidcc

Reaction score
I understand your frustration - I'm dealing with FCA and dealer now, but I only have one issue. I'm on my 2nd week of driving a free loaner. Other than parts availability- most of the problem is the dealers themselves. So far my dealer has been ok.

Chris

pinkerton

Reaction score
So your issue is more with the dealership not moving at a pace you would prefer? It seems they are fixing everything and they did say to pick up truck if you need it. It does seem FCA is standing behind it...No?
In this case, the dealer dropped the ball for a few days without a clue regarding the carplay and door close issue - yet the inability to delivery a replacement radio is squarely on RAM as well as their wierd rules about requiring photos form the dealer on the floor mat and seat problem.

pinkerton

Reaction score
FCA will only re-imburse them for the days that they are working on the truck. After that the dealership isn't making any money and it turns into a loaner. My dealership charges FCA $40/day for my rental when they do my warranty work.

With COVID parts are scarce. I had to wait almost a month for my rear window to come in (took several days to get it approved by FCA then order the window) and I'm still waiting on a tailgate cable after 2 months. Personally, as long as the work/item is approved I'll wait however long it takes for the dealership to get supplies for the repair. If it's a safety issue and is not driveable then I rack up the miles on the loaner/rental.

I'm confused on your axle wrap. With a multi-link rear setup your axle cannot rotate around causing extreme pinion angles, only ride up and down.

One of the selling points for me was the coil spring rear/multi-link setup. It is a much better ride than leafs and there's no axle wrap. You effectively have traction bars from the factory.
Thanks for your input - my "axle wrap" issue is something that feels like axle wrap (and is defined as such by other threads on this forum). It basically "clunks" upon arrival at a stop on occasion. You can feel the clunk coming from the rear end and through the driveline

pinkerton

Reaction score
Well it's not fixed yet and I dropped it off at the dealer for 15 days to complete repairs that should only take 1-2 days. That's pretty poor service.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
In this case, the dealer dropped the ball for a few days without a clue regarding the carplay and door close issue - yet the inability to delivery a replacement radio is squarely on RAM as well as their wierd rules about requiring photos form the dealer on the floor mat and seat problem.

No its not, its a supplier issue much in the same way toilet paper and disinfecting wipes are hard to come by

BowDown

Reaction score
Well it's not fixed yet and I dropped it off at the dealer for 15 days to complete repairs that should only take 1-2 days. That's pretty poor service.

If they had ALL the parts, I may agree. With them having to wait for parts, no

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for your input - my "axle wrap" issue is something that feels like axle wrap (and is defined as such by other threads on this forum). It basically "clunks" upon arrival at a stop on occasion. You can feel the clunk coming from the rear end and through the driveline
That is one issue I have not had with my truck. My driveline concerns have centered around my transmission.

I had a clunk on my last truck (leaf spring F-250) which turned out to be the slip yoke on the 3 piece driveshaft. I don't think these trucks have nearly as many pieces but it could be a joint or bearing issue.

BowDown

Reaction score
A supplier issue is a RAM issue, plain and simple.

No its not, due to covid most places are short staffed or running limited schedules/production so parts availability is an issue. If FCA/MOPAR made it, that'd be different

pinkerton

Reaction score
No its not, due to covid most places are short staffed or running limited schedules/production so parts availability is an issue. If FCA/MOPAR made it, that'd be different
I'm not sure the point in debating this but the supplier is contracted by RAM. It is their responsibility. RAM decides how much the supplier produces and if they fail to meet the contracted volume, there is a penalty. It's up to RAM to ensure the supplier performs - this is their failure. And doubtfully caused by COVID since the OE's were down for quite a while - which would lead to supplier surplus. This shortage is more likely caused by a higher than expected replacement rate (which again is due to RAM's poor planning)

fredturner1313

Reaction score
I have a 2019 dodge ram1500 tradesmen. My truck was in the shop for broken manifold bolts. Got it out check engine light comes on. Well took it back and they had it for a month and replaced all upper gaskets on top half. And it still has oil in the coolant. I am so angry this is my work truck. I have 5 thousand miles left on the warranty and can't get any one to help. They will not give me a truck to work out of. What do I do?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure the point in debating this but the supplier is contracted by RAM. It is their responsibility. RAM decides how much the supplier produces and if they fail to meet the contracted volume, there is a penalty. It's up to RAM to ensure the supplier performs - this is their failure. And doubtfully caused by COVID since the OE's were down for quite a while - which would lead to supplier surplus. This shortage is more likely caused by a higher than expected replacement rate (which again is due to RAM's poor planning)

If the OEs were down but not suppliers, your logic here would make sense. There would be a surplus. But while some of these issues would not make me happy either, your logic here is flawed.

World-wide, supply chains are disrupted; OEMs, suppliers, everyone has had periods of no production, reduced production, or some mix of the two, whether it be due to lockdowns, staff staying home, or other reasons.

Even before OEs shut down (before COVID was really in the USA, but it was in Asia and other countries), I remember reading how Ford's production was slowing or periodically pausing due to shortages of some parts supplied by overseas manufacturers in affected areas. FCA, GM, etc. were probably also having similar issues.

FCA is not always known for having a great deal of parts to go around, but we cannot dismiss COVID as a cause of shortages so easily.

RamCares

Reaction score
I have a 2019 dodge ram1500 tradesmen. My truck was in the shop for broken manifold bolts. Got it out check engine light comes on. Well took it back and they had it for a month and replaced all upper gaskets on top half. And it still has oil in the coolant. I am so angry this is my work truck. I have 5 thousand miles left on the warranty and can't get any one to help. They will not give me a truck to work out of. What do I do?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Hi @fredturner1313
We are very sorry to hear about the concerns you are facing with your vehicle! If you would like additional support while working with your dealer, please send our team a private message with your VIN and mileage. Thank you.

Kathryn
RamCares

BowDown

Reaction score

In normal times possibly. Are we in normal times?
Your situation sucks yes but your logic isn't sound as FCA doesn't make all the components that go into this truck and do to the world wide pandemic, everyone is short on inventory.
I own an IT business, I've gone from 1-2 week turnarounds on a DELL server to 60-120 days before a tracking number is even produced why? Because parts suppliers don't have parts, is that DELLs fault? NO

pinkerton

Reaction score
If the OEs were down but not suppliers, your logic here would make sense. There would be a surplus. But while some of these issues would not make me happy either, your logic here is flawed.

World-wide, supply chains are disrupted; OEMs, suppliers, everyone has had periods of no production, reduced production, or some mix of the two, whether it be due to lockdowns, staff staying home, or other reasons.

Even before OEs shut down (before COVID was really in the USA, but it was in Asia and other countries), I remember reading how Ford's production was slowing or periodically pausing due to shortages of some parts supplied by overseas manufacturers in affected areas. FCA, GM, etc. were probably also having similar issues.

FCA is not always known for having a great deal of parts to go around, but we cannot dismiss COVID as a cause of shortages so easily.
My logic is flawed? Only if the supply was shut down for longer than the demand. If the demand was down longer than supply then my logic is sound. Your rebuttal is based on "reading about how Ford's production was slowing". If true, then the supply was almost keeping up before the OEs shut down, then would have had time to catch up when they did shut down. China was 90%+ back on line in March.

BTW: IT'S STILL A RAM ISSUE - they must plan for their spare parts demand!!!! (this means they should have a buffer or pay overtime, etc when their is a shortage)

Many people I speak to are often being told that "COVID" is the reason they're getting poor service. We should beware of those taking advantage.

Users who are viewing this thread