5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another Poor Warranty Experience with RAM

pinkerton

Reaction score
In normal times possibly. Are we in normal times?
Your situation sucks yes but your logic isn't sound as FCA doesn't make all the components that go into this truck and do to the world wide pandemic, everyone is short on inventory.
I own an IT business, I've gone from 1-2 week turnarounds on a DELL server to 60-120 days before a tracking number is even produced why? Because parts suppliers don't have parts, is that DELLs fault? NO
I think you're missing my point: It is DELL's responsibility regardless of where the problem lies in the supply chain.

RAM makes very few of the components that go into the truck - this is why they must take responsibility for their supply chain. In this case, I belive it's more likely a failure rate issue than a pandemic issue. My dealer even stated that "this was normal with RAM and these radios"

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think you're missing my point: It is DELL's responsibility regardless of where the problem lies in the supply chain.

RAM makes very few of the components that go into the truck - this is why they must take responsibility for their supply chain. In this case, I belive it's more likely a failure rate issue than a pandemic issue. My dealer even stated that "this was normal with RAM and these radios"

100,000's of these trucks on the road without issue, the failure rate isn't the issue getting parts, the fact that America doesn't make anything anymore is.
And no, its not DELLs fault that covid hit causing world wide supply chain issues unless you're of the opinion that DELL, or in this case FCA, must keep millions of parts in inventory in the event that a pandemic hits. If I sell a server to a customer and DELL cant deliver it to me, its not my fault that the customer cant get their server.
Is it frustrating? Yes, their fault? No

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My logic is flawed? Only if the supply was shut down for longer than the demand. If the demand was down longer than supply then my logic is sound. Your rebuttal is based on "reading about how Ford's production was slowing". If true, then the supply was almost keeping up before the OEs shut down, then would have had time to catch up when they did shut down. China was 90%+ back on line in March.

BTW: IT'S STILL A RAM ISSUE - they must plan for their spare parts demand!!!! (this means they should have a buffer or pay overtime, etc when their is a shortage)

Many people I speak to are often being told that "COVID" is the reason they're getting poor service. We should beware of those taking advantage.

China isn't the only supplier, secondly, if shipping is shut down or slowing then production doesn't matter as it cant leave the manufacturer, then there's the people who handle the shipping/cargo then the people at the shipping ports that are understaffed to unload container ships. Thats why when they say world wide supply chain issue, its world wide as in every aspect of the part being made all the way to the shelf.

pinkerton

Reaction score
China isn't the only supplier, secondly, if shipping is shut down or slowing then production doesn't matter as it cant leave the manufacturer, then there's the people who handle the shipping/cargo then the people at the shipping ports that are understaffed to unload container ships. Thats why when they say world wide supply chain issue, its world wide as in every aspect of the part being made all the way to the shelf.

China was the supply chain that shut down from Feb 1 (as usual for Chinese New Year) through appx March 1 (about a month longer than usual). This is most likely where the Radio in question comes from (or most of it's subcomponents)

There was a dip in port activity in Feb/Mar (see below) but that was due to Asia slowing down. As stated, it has been back on line for a while and now far exceeds last year's volume. There is no issue with "the people handling the shipping cargo" at ports, etc as they have been essential since day one as well as the entire freight and warehousing industry.

1605124642100.png

I still don't think you understand my point

Attachments

• 1605124599172.png
    1605124599172.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 1

pinkerton

Reaction score
100,000's of these trucks on the road without issue, the failure rate isn't the issue getting parts, the fact that America doesn't make anything anymore is.
And no, its not DELLs fault that covid hit causing world wide supply chain issues unless you're of the opinion that DELL, or in this case FCA, must keep millions of parts in inventory in the event that a pandemic hits. If I sell a server to a customer and DELL cant deliver it to me, its not my fault that the customer cant get their server.
If the failure rate is greater than planned (due to poor quality management) then it most certainly could be the issue - you've provided no evidence to the contrary. And as far as your customer promise goes, if you have an agreement that states "you'll deliver when the supplier delivers" then you're right, otherwise it's on you - I expect RAM to keep their promise

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I buy a hundred million dollars of hardware every year and when one of my prime contractors (like RAM) has a supply chain issue I beat them up and depending on the situation charge them a penalty for late delivery. The pandemic may be an extenuating circumstance I take into account but the bottom line is that my contract is with the prime contractor, not one of his vendors. Contractors try all the time to place blame on their supplier but 90% of the time the issue could have been avoided with better management.

It is RAM's problem and the fact that they did not plan for it or have inventory to carry them over was a business decision. Some people will cut them slack because of the pandemic and some will decide not to do business with them again. Apparently from Ram's perspective it is better to loose a few customers than to have a lot of money tied up in inventory.

Wsmith

Reaction score
My logic is flawed? Only if the supply was shut down for longer than the demand. If the demand was down longer than supply then my logic is sound. Your rebuttal is based on "reading about how Ford's production was slowing". If true, then the supply was almost keeping up before the OEs shut down, then would have had time to catch up when they did shut down. China was 90%+ back on line in March.

BTW: IT'S STILL A RAM ISSUE - they must plan for their spare parts demand!!!! (this means they should have a buffer or pay overtime, etc when their is a shortage)

Many people I speak to are often being told that "COVID" is the reason they're getting poor service. We should beware of those taking advantage.
There is an ongoing worldwide pandemic, it has not magically gone away as someone predicted it would. Your situation sucks, but the parts supply problem is the fault of the virus, not any one company. Chill

pinkerton

Reaction score
I buy a hundred million dollars of hardware every year and when one of my prime contractors (like RAM) has a supply chain issue I beat them up and depending on the situation charge them a penalty for late delivery. The pandemic may be an extenuating circumstance I take into account but the bottom line is that my contract is with the prime contractor, not one of his vendors. Contractors try all the time to place blame on their supplier but 90% of the time the issue could have been avoided with better management.

It is RAM's problem and the fact that they did not plan for it or have inventory to carry them over was a business decision. Some people will cut them slack because of the pandemic and some will decide not to do business with them again. Apparently from Ram's perspective it is better to loose a few customers than to have a lot of money tied up in inventory.

Perfectly stated. Now we could begin a discussion about "force majeure" as a caveat to both our points but that's for another day.......

pinkerton

Reaction score
There is an ongoing worldwide pandemic, it has not magically gone away as someone predicted it would. Your situation sucks, but the parts supply problem is the fault of the virus, not any one company. Chill
It is not due to the Pandemic. Please read and advise what you don't understand or disagree with. I'll be glad to explain. This is not the "toilet paper phenomenon" that many of us are subscribing to. There was no change in demand and no disruption in supply greater than demand.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Perfectly stated. Now we could begin a discussion about "force majeure" as a caveat to both our points but that's for another day.......
True, but it really doesn't apply, or even matter to the consumer and that is a risk that they seller has to weigh.

Wsmith

Reaction score
It is not due to the Pandemic. Please read and advise what you don't understand or disagree with. I'll be glad to explain. This is not the "toilet paper phenomenon" that many of us are subscribing to. There was no change in demand and no disruption in supply greater than demand.
Like every manufacturer of anything, the available supply goes to new product. What is left ove,r the shortage (due to pandemic) is what goes as spare parts for repair. It may not be right, but no company is going to reserve parts for spares rather than incorporate them into new product.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

The Ford thing was just an example, not evidence.
Demand did not go down as long as supply. Consumers still found time/money for a lot of things, new cars included, during the pandemic, even when lots of things were down. (Me included, bought my truck in July.)
When supply of the new cars was an issue due to the shutdowns, the used market went way up (and is still somewhat up).

Expecting any profit-based supplier to be able to plan for a pandemic-scale issue is asking them to also be out of business soon.

Should you still hold RAM's feet to the fire a bit? Absolutely, things are starting to get back on track, and they should be improving.
Can you blame them for the entire supply debacle, acting as if a world-wide disruption can be fixed in only a few months or less? No.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They want you to pick up the truck because then your 30 days of it being in the shop for lemon law purposes don't keep adding up.
That's not how the lemon law works. They have 30 days to address the issue regardless of if it's still in the shop or not.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Demand did not go down as long as supply. Consumers still found time/money for a lot of things, new cars included, during the pandemic, even when lots of things were down. (Me included, bought my truck in July.)
When supply of the new cars was an issue due to the shutdowns, the used market went way up (and is still somewhat up).

Expecting any profit-based supplier to be able to plan for a pandemic-scale issue is asking them to also be out of business soon.

Should you still hold RAM's feet to the fire a bit? Absolutely, things are starting to get back on track, and they should be improving.
Can you blame them for the entire supply debacle, acting as if a world-wide disruption can be fixed in only a few months or less? No.
Things are going to get worse. Our governor here in Nevada is pushing for another full 30 day shut down.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I said the same thing to myself before I tried a Ram for the first time..."if Ram was really that bad then they wouldn't still be selling as many trucks or they would be out of business". And guess what....love my Ram! Aaand they stand behind their vehicles way more than Ford has in the last 10 years. FACT. (Speaking from experience).

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They want you to pick up the truck because then your 30 days of it being in the shop for lemon law purposes don't keep adding up.
yeah, don't pick it up. let them hit the magic 30 days and then you can lemon law it anytime you see fit.

If they insist you pick it up, tell them not until its fixed or they have a replacement ready for you.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That may be the law in NV, but in most stated it's 30 days in the shop.
That's true there are state laws that are a little different but there's also a Federal Lemon Law that protects a consumer if the law fails on a state level....heres the link!

pinkerton

Reaction score

My point regarding demand was not referring to the consumer (pardon), I meant the production plants were down longer than the supply disruption. This problem would exist (as my dealer suggested) with or without the Pandemic. It's a reason not to buy a RAM product.

Having said this, I don't know that the competition is any better.

Users who are viewing this thread