5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Engineer's Ultimate Guide To 3.21 VS 3.92 Axle Ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Will oversized tires make my truck go faster?
Umm, no. Pickups with a little N/A 5.7 don't go fast to begin with, no matter what tire you have.

Will oversized tires make my truck handle better?
Not on pavement. Pickup trucks are not really made to "handle". Might as well be cool. 😎 and have a little off road ability.

Will oversized tires attract the ladies?
Yes, despite your obsession with attracting men, women are attracted to trucks, modified vehicles and men type stuff. Well at least attractive women that appreciate men. If you are hanging out at Pink Hat events or Swimming Matches, perhaps 3.21s and Prius tires would be the best choice.

I'm going to make that a hard NO.
Obsession with Hard again? Maybe the swim meet type is the right choice. Don't ask, don't tell!

Yes, the compensation for poor choices is sad..

According to the Hot/Crazy Matrix, those are men, sooooo

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you can't do anything with it, isn't mileage irrelevant? I have a rice burner that will carry two people and a week's groceries.
No.

If it can’t work, it SHOULD get good mileage, like your rice burner.

Always tradeoffs between capabilities and mileage. Not sure how else to explain it.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you can't do anything with it, isn't mileage irrelevant? I have a rice burner that will carry two people and a week's groceries.

Also,

just like the peeps that lift and put bigger tires. More capable with door seal and ground clearance. Less handling, worse mileage but worth every penny who need it. I need it but putting money elsewhere now.

Cant get something for nothing usually.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No.

Always tradeoffs between capabilities and mileage. Not sure how else to explain it.
"Work" is a relative term. What you feel should be a measure of work for a truck is different than other people. My truck out in work yesterday, and did better than other vehicles there that should have been more capable. But this work isn't involve heavy loads or towing.

Attachments

• PXL_20240420_155103987.jpg
    PXL_20240420_155103987.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 12

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
"Work" is a relative term. What you feel should be a measure of work for a truck is different than other people. My truck out in work yesterday, and did better than other vehicles there that should have been more capable. But this work isn't involve heavy loads or towing.

Well, I get your point.

However, I don’t think most people think of “work” for a TRUCK as wheeling capabilities.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No.

My point was for the poster who said our trucks won't tow or haul. But those are the things I bought it for. So if it won't do what I bought it for, why would I drive it? I have other vehicles that also won't tow or haul which get much better mileage.

I don't agree BTW. I'm sure it will tow and haul just fine, probably way beyond the factory's wimpy, liability-paranoid specifications. Will it pull a road train across the outback? No, but I don't have a road train. I have tools and supplies, cargo and utility trailers, maybe a travel trailer soon. I expect it to be adequate for all those.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My point was for the poster who said our trucks won't tow or haul. But those are the things I bought it for. So if it won't do what I bought it for, why would I drive it? I have other vehicles that also won't tow or haul which get much better mileage.

I don't agree BTW. I'm sure it will tow and haul just fine, probably way beyond the factory's wimpy, liability-paranoid specifications. Will it pull a road train across the outback? No, but I don't have a road train. I have tools and supplies, cargo and utility trailers, maybe a travel trailer soon. I expect it to be adequate for all those.
Well, I drive mine because it’s comfortable, responsive and will haul stuff with the topper on it and keep it dry and kinda secure. I pull some small stuff.

Heck, I can’t even haul enough weight in the bed without running out of payload. I had to lift the rear to keep it from dragging its A$$ with ANY load.

Admittedly, I bought my first one hurriedly without much research and didn’t have 1/2 ton experience. I have found they are GREAT for daily driving, light work, and don’t need to mess with DEF and fuel additives.

I think you might have some wisdom to gain on your hauling and towing goals, and what your truck can comfortably, safely, and legally haul and tow.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I get your point.

However, I don’t think most people think of “work” for a TRUCK as wheeling capabilities.
Not everyone is looking to tow or haul to the max capabilities of their trucks. And if you are reaching max capacity, you might as well step up to the next level, that goes for 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton and all the HD lines. Is this same discussion happening on HDRams about guys with 3/4 ton trucks hauling heavy where a 1 ton+ would be a better option?

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not everyone is looking to tow or haul to the max capabilities of their trucks. And if you are reaching max capacity, you might as well step up to the next level, that goes for 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton and all the HD lines. Is this same discussion happening on HDRams about guys with 3/4 ton trucks hauling heavy where a 1 ton+ would be a better option?
I get all that.

My point is that these trucks CAN’T realistically get to max tow capabilities. You know, maybe haul some and tow some, and be able to put a family or friends in the cab. Psssh, can’t do it.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I get all that.

My point is that these trucks CAN’T realistically get to max tow capabilities. You know, maybe haul some and tow some, and be able to put a family or friends in the cab. Psssh, can’t do it.
Wrong tool for the job then. Light duty truck is for light duty stuff.
Fast car is for fast driving.
Luxury car for a luxury ride.
Jeep for off roading.
SxS for radical off road.
Heavy duty truck for heavy duty work.
Prius for commuting on little tires, low power and lack of cool factor. You know, stock 1500, 3.21 gears and all....

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Jeep for off roading.
Prius for commuting on little tires, low power and lack of cool factor. You know, stock 1500, 3.21 gears and all....
I drive a Luxury truck.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Jeep for off roading.

Yep.

I can’t, or even want (without going white knuckle) to get too much from my 3.21.

3.92 tow capabilities are a deception. But 3.92 boosts cool factor ?

Now, where is my toilet plunger? 🤣

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I get all that.

There are people that exceed manufacturer suggested towing and payload for these trucks. They CAN do it. But probably shouldn't

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Jeep for off roading.
All depends on what you want, and your expectations. I have a truck for fast driving(not my Ram), and I can easily off-road in my RAM. Just did it yesterday and had an easier time than some of the Jeeps that were there.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are people that exceed manufacturer suggested towing and payload for these trucks. They CAN do it. But probably shouldn't

There are lots that do it. Buy, and put on a lot of aftermarket stuff to help with the inadequacies built in. To get around mainly payload limitations.

All good, till a few OH $HITs due to its instability. Then surgery required to remove the seat cushion from their a$$.

I’ve seen a man with knee braces pull a bus. We “probably shouldn’t “.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread