5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Engineer's Ultimate Guide To 3.21 VS 3.92 Axle Ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh man. I ordered 3.92 with mine, but now I’m wondering if I made a mistake. These MPG stories have me worried. I didn’t do great in physics class, but I think I could make up for the bad gearing choice with larger tires. Anyone have an idea on how big I’d have to go to offset then 3.92, or am I thinking about it incorrectly?

😜

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Oh man. I ordered 3.92 with mine, but now I’m wondering if I made a mistake. These MPG stories have me worried. I didn’t do great in physics class, but I think I could make up for the bad gearing choice with larger tires. Anyone have an idea on how big I’d have to go to offset then 3.92, or am I thinking about it incorrectly?

😜
Definitely 6" lift with 37s and you should be good

Redfour5

Reaction score

😜
If you do NOT tow, live in a flat state where it never gets below 40 degrees, the 3.21's are perfect. I live in MT, had a 2013 3.55 and a 2015 3.92 and now a 2021 3.21. I tow a 6700 lb travel trailer...and did I mention I live in Montana... Oh, I see I did... I wish I had my 3.92 back. The 3.21 is...adequate... The towing mileage is virtually no different but the transmission and engine work completely differently and much harder. Now, on a now wind sunny day running down one of the valley routes and a good road, I've definitely seen 22 mpg with the 3.21, but that is a rare occasion... I do NOT understand why any dealer would build a truck to tow (full tow package) and order the 3.21's. OBVIOUSLY, whomever orders trucks at that dealership doesn't get it and gee, saved 95 bucks...

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep. This is going to be my do anything/everything truck so I think 3.92 will be perfect. If I hate it or really need that extra mpg or two I could always regear.

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep. This is going to be my do anything/everything truck so I think 3.92 will be perfect. If I hate it or really need that extra mpg or two I could always regear.
Jay leno might be the only person that has ever regeared anything. But you are correct 3.92 is perfect

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Jay leno might be the only person that has ever regeared anything. But you are correct 3.92 is perfect
Well, most of my experience off-road comes from Jeeps where regearing is not uncommon. Not that this will be an off-road rig but it will see the occasional trail I think.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, most of my experience off-road comes from Jeeps where regearing is not uncommon. Not that this will be an off-road rig but it will see the occasional trail I think.
If it's 4wd, regearing isn't a cheap option as you have to replace the entire front axle. You can't just swap the gear set out

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone ever "regeared" any vehicle? While this may have been common in the 60's I would have to believe it is long gone

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Lol no it’s still a thing. Especially on cars and off-road vehicles.

Or people who buy the wrong truck and think it will increase their towing capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I mean, I am pretty much a gear head, and don't know anyone other than my 70 yo dad that has ever "swapped gears"

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lol no it’s still a thing. Especially on cars and off-road vehicles.

Or people who buy the wrong truck and think it will increase their towing capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So while I get that you love to argue, your answer is still 'no'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread