5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Engineer's Ultimate Guide To 3.21 VS 3.92 Axle Ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Visit a wrangler forum, especially the JK ones, and you'll find lots of gear swapping going on. Of course over there owners aren't afraid to admit when they make a mistake and fix it. It appears a solid axle swap is also a lot easier.

I did go back and forth quite a bit on which one to choose. The good news is, both seem great options since it seems most everyone loves what their choice is and appears to defend it at all costs. 😂

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
And yet, no, you have not swapped gears....

Have in the past, yes.

Current truck no, because I bought it how I wanted. But people do still swap gears in modern vehicles.

Can you wrap your mind around that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

m.hamner

Reaction score
I don't know. I just think from the limited exposure I have to the 3.21-3.92 debate, Ram provides the 3.21 stock for a reason and I don't imagine it's because of providing a negligible "savings" of $95 from the "ultimate gearing of 3.92". If 3.92 was the end all be all, I just would think they wouldn't even offer the 3.21 considering the price difference and considering how wide open Ram would be leaving themselves open in customer satisfaction. The 3.21 seems to be good enough for most towing for the 1/2 ton truck. Granted the 3.92 maximizes the max potential towing which is great, but if I'm towing that much where I'd want to maximize the upper limits of the engine, gearing and frame, payload and towing, I'd just want to move up to the 2500 and increase my safety margin.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know. I just think from the limited exposure I have to the 3.21-3.92 debate, Ram provides the 3.21 stock for a reason and I don't imagine it's because of providing a negligible "savings" of $95 from the "ultimate gearing of 3.92". If 3.92 was the end all be all, I just would think they wouldn't even offer the 3.21 considering the price difference and considering how wide open Ram would be leaving themselves open in customer satisfaction. The 3.21 seems to be good enough for most towing for the 1/2 ton truck. Granted the 3.92 maximizes the max potential towing which is great, but if I'm towing that much where I'd want to maximize the upper limits of the engine, gearing and frame, payload and towing, I'd just want to move up to the 2500 and increase my safety margin.
The 3.6L V6 is the standard engine option, but that doesn't make it useful.

Imagine ordering that. Now imagine you did that but with gearing. :cool:

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dude, don't start making sense, we have no reason for it on forums

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have in the past, yes.

Current truck no, because I bought it how I wanted. But people do still swap gears in modern vehicles.

Can you wrap your mind around that?

We're getting a little pissy, and yet, 3.92, still better 👶

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
If you’re going to play around in the troll thread. At least try and make it some what of an intellectual challenge to play.

Your retorts are just shallow, boring, and lazy. Which in fact, does not rule.

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you’re going to play around in the troll thread. At least try and make it some what of an intellectual challenge to play.

Your retorts are just shallow, boring, and lazy. Which in fact, does not rule.
Dude, are you really taking this s$$ seriously? Wow so sad

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
If that’s the best you can do and how you perceived my reply. Bless your heart.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure it has nothing to do with fuel mileage and CAFE requirements.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Someone needs to invent a continuously variable rear axle, LOL.

The nice thing about all the love on both sides of the equation is that when it comes time to sell/trade, there's someone out there that wants what we've got!

BowDown

Reaction score
I've regeared in the past, my old Charger with a 8 3/4 rear three times and my Z06 once but that was a trans re-gear so I could lengthen some shifts , 2nd, 3rd and 4th are very close and hurt my mile an hour in the 1/4 and 1/2 mile runs. I bought the truck this way intentionally, I sought out a truck with every specific option my truck has, even passed on a close truck because of the 3.93 gear.
The 3.21 suits my needs fine and having had a 392 truck and rented a 5th gen 3.92 and a 3.21 truck a 3 days and a week respectively, I don't miss the 3.92. If it works for you, great, I have to drive Dallas to Houston often and driving that drive at 65-67mph to get decent fuel mileage sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread