5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Engineer's Ultimate Guide To 3.21 VS 3.92 Axle Ratio

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
s-l640.jpg

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's a great thread. Ssooooo much good information after the first page of posts. Hopefully in reading through it you have gleaned valuable knowledge.

In a nutshell, those that have 3:21 gears realize that the truck is anemic and are covering for thier regret by swearing the only factor in gas milage is rpm. By believing this farce they convince themselves that they get great mileage. Since thier daily driver is a 4 cylinder minivan they think they have power now to.

The guys with 3:92 geared trucks know they made the right choice because they understand trucks. They put on larger tires and know what milage to expect from a V8.

Simple.
the one and only truth. Thank you oh wise one 😂😂

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
imho, the real decision is open vs. lsd vs. locking
Which begs the question:
Isn't LSD and traction control kind of redundant anymore?
I can see before traction control existed the huge advantage of LSD, but what's the point of a LSD with traction control? Isn't the 'computer' figuring out which wheel to give power to?

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Which begs the question:
Isn't LSD and traction control kind of redundant anymore?
I can see before traction control existed the huge advantage of LSD, but what's the point of a LSD with traction control? Isn't the 'computer' figuring out which wheel to give power to?
As far as I know, LSD can apply power to a wheel to give you extra traction because the other wheel is slipping. Traction control can apply braking to said spinning wheel to stop it from digging you in. So they can both do something at the same time.

Also, I think the anti-spin, on these trucks anyway, is only for the rear axle.

Somebody double-check my work please!

german88

Reaction score
Yea, if you read the hundreds of posts, you will find some 3:21 guys who brag they get better milage than a Tesla or at least a Prius. Many think milage has only to do with mathematic equations depicting rpm with no reguard given to how hard the motor works to maintain those rpms.

Drive a smaller motor and this becomes even more apparent. Go on the jeep forums a bit and you will see guys going up to crazy 4.56 and up seeing milage improve because the motor is not lugging along to try and keep up when they put real tires on.

But you know, some just have to justify their decisions, even when wrong.
After reading your last two posts I feel I have not choice but to hop in my anemic 3.21 geared Ram and go "Thelma and Louise" myself off a cliff. Before I go I'll just post one last parting shot.

Attachments

• IMG_3246.JPG
    IMG_3246.JPG
    169.1 KB · Views: 64

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
After reading your last two posts I feel I have not choice but to hop in my anemic 3.21 geared Ram and go "Thelma and Louise" myself off a cliff. Before I go I'll just post one last parting shot.
I'll have to take a pic of mine coming down from the Fernan Saddle...99.9 mpg. :ROFLMAO:

tdog65

Reaction score
Great entertainment on this forum. Debating on trading in Suv for a 19 ram limited that checks all my box's. It does have 3.92 and for me would rather have the 3.21 as I drive 95% hwy and lot of miles. As I've been looking at these its hard enough and so far almost every 19 or 20 ram I look at has the 3.92 gears. MPG is almost impossible to get on. The truck I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on is about 8 hour drive away. I've driven both 3.21 and 3.92 and best I could do in short highway run about 20 miles was 18 and that was 3.92. What could I realistically expect on a day to day driving highway 3.92 or should I wait to find a 3.21.

Mirowpl

Reaction score
Yea, if you read the hundreds of posts, you will find some 3:21 guys who brag they get better milage than a Tesla or at least a Prius. Many think milage has only to do with mathematic equations depicting rpm with no reguard given to how hard the motor works to maintain those rpms.

Drive a smaller motor and this becomes even more apparent. Go on the jeep forums a bit and you will see guys going up to crazy 4.56 and up seeing milage improve because the motor is not lugging along to try and keep up when they put real tires on.

But you know, some just have to justify their decisions, even when wrong.
I think I will just trade in the truck and buy a minivan
A559B6C9-BFB6-42D2-9E69-1B513C63B052.jpeg

german88

Reaction score
Great entertainment on this forum. Debating on trading in Suv for a 19 ram limited that checks all my box's. It does have 3.92 and for me would rather have the 3.21 as I drive 95% hwy and lot of miles. As I've been looking at these its hard enough and so far almost every 19 or 20 ram I look at has the 3.92 gears. MPG is almost impossible to get on. The truck I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on is about 8 hour drive away. I've driven both 3.21 and 3.92 and best I could do in short highway run about 20 miles was 18 and that was 3.92. What could I realistically expect on a day to day driving highway 3.92 or should I wait to find a 3.21.

If you cut through all the entertainment here I think you'll find there really isn't much of a difference in fuel mileage for either side. I have 3.21 gears and avg. 19.5 on summer gas (mostly stop and go) and 18 so far on winter fuel. I know my buddies 3.92 geared Ram is very close to this. I would pull the trigger on the 3.92 option you found and never look back. Great all around and a bit sportier of the line if that matters to you.

Hasti17

Reaction score
Its not that the 5.7L 3.92 Chad's think their trucks are fast.... No no you have it all wrong
they're just in a REAL BIG HURRY to get home and Kiss their Dad on the lips. So having the proverbial safety blanket that you can get there a tenth of a second faster is very comforting to them.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Got me dem 3.92 gears to hide my little pee pee, got this cool shirt with ma gears tho

I-Have-A-Small-Penis-Humor-Micro-Penis-Saying-Shirt
Purchased and worn by the guy with 3:21 gears and a 2wd. Just a minivan with a bed on the Back! 🤣😂

Come on, 25 posts to hit the grand mark of usless nonsense!

BowDown

Reaction score
Purchased and worn by the guy with 3:21 gears and a 2wd. Just a minivan with a bed on the Back! 🤣😂

Come on, 25 posts to hit the grand mark of usless nonsense!

Nah, you got it wrong. The lifted, 3.92, 4x4 mall crawlin sister-cousin-mother lovin ex Silver-rado drivin balding mullet wearing guys wear dem shirts when they're crusin the dollar general parking lots in 4W Low lookin for their GILFS... which are actually their moms cause they all like the vibration of the knobby tires on pavement.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve had both! Bottom line if your pulling heavy loads often or in the hills go with the 3:92, if your not, go with the 3:21 and it will be fine and gain 1-2 mpg on the highway! ….😁 The debate is over lol

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Nah, you got it wrong. The lifted, 3.92, 4x4 mall crawlin sister-cousin-mother lovin ex Silver-rado drivin balding mullet wearing guys wear dem shirts when they're crusin the dollar general parking lots in 4W Low lookin for their GILFS... which are actually their moms cause they all like the vibration of the knobby tires on pavement.
It's OK. We understand. Let it all out.

The humiliation you must feel when your wife is berating you for all you do wrong as you have to carry her purse through the Walmart has to be hard enough. Then you to go back out to the parking lot and climb into the closest thing to a truck she would allow in the driveway....

I bet the real kick in the gut is when you are driving her home and you see the real truck in the parking lot at the strip club. She sees that longing look and starts berating you all over again. Probably takes the little tiny satchel out of her purse that she keeps your balls in and threatens to toss them out the window as tears stream down your cheek. Man, it must be tough.......

If only you had had the nerve to stand up that one time. Take that satchel back from her, as tiny as it is. You could have gotten a 4x4 with 3:92 gears and been a man for once. Sadly, it will never come to pass. 🥺

We're getting closer to the 1000 posts of unless nonsense, come on, we can make it!

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, I was driving down the main drag. I'd just passed Walmart and was thinking about pulling into the strip club, but it was a Monday and Bambi had the day off (I think she has feelings for me), so I decided to keep going. I saw a little satchel on the road. I had to make a split-second decision: swerve to miss it, or hope my manly, 10-ply rated, rugged 34" Falkens could take rolling over the debris without damage?

I grinned, and nailed that little thing. Great tires, ORG: I didn't feel a thing, but I heard two little "pops".

A few seconds later, through my open windows, there was a haunting scream, echoing from the hills.... It was like a mournful howl, but like no animal I'd ever heard.

I wonder what that was all about...

:)

Users who are viewing this thread