5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

amplifier drain my battery!

Kyles

Reaction score
Lol, I’m committed to it. I put a larger H8 AGM battery in it a couple months ago so hopefully that helps
Besides upgrading battery & alternator, recommended a big 3 upgrade. Battery ground to chassis wire, the chassis to engine block wire, and the alternator plus to battery plus wire. 4 AWG or bigger

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Besides upgrading battery & alternator, recommended a big 3 upgrade. Battery ground to chassis wire, the chassis to engine block wire, and the alternator plus to battery plus wire. 4 AWG or bigger
I thought one of the main things that shows that you need something like this is dimming headlights and I don’t have that problem at all.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I thought one of the main things that shows that you need something like this is dimming headlights and I don’t have that problem at all.
Would a big system dim LED headlights?
I know the old halogen bulbs would, but I'm curious now if HID and/or LED dim too.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
I know the old halogen bulbs would, but I'm curious now if HID and/or LED dim too.
Dimming third brake light or interior lights or anything? I’m not sure. I know I have had my system for a year now and no issues. I even sat in it bumping my music with it not running for about 30 minutes recently.

Kyles

Reaction score
Yes the led headlights will dim when the voltage is fluctuating high and low as the alternator is trying to keep the truck at the desired voltage. I have 2 10’s on a 1500 watt amp and when i first installed my system my lights dimmed a bit. Doing the big 3 will not hurt anything just be there incase

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
Yes the led headlights will dim when the voltage is fluctuating high and low as the alternator is trying to keep the truck at the desired voltage. I have 2 10’s on a 1500 watt amp and when i first installed my system my lights dimmed a bit. Doing the big 3 will not hurt anything just be there incase
Does having etorque change anything? I definitely have no dimming at all anywhere. I’ve heard doing the big 3 can make dimming worse sometimes.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i wanna change my factory sub maybe to something bigger alphine 9 amp speakers lacking in that bass section ... do i have to upgrade the amp and how big of a amp .. also if i dont change the sub and just add another 8 inch can i get away with. factory amp? or do i upgrade that amp ?

Kyles

Reaction score
Does having etorque change anything? I definitely have no dimming at all anywhere. I’ve heard doing the big 3 can make dimming worse sometimes.
Maybe it helps? I don’t know much about the Etorque.

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe it helps? I don’t know much about the Etorque.
from what i read on it.they say that our trucks come with 850cca any amp over 764 RMS will be to big of a draw.one member here said he's getting away with 1500.my brother in his old impala is using the same.but was warned by "BestBuy"..."Dont go to crazy with turning it up"😲 if you have a battery with CCA of 710 and your amp is 650W your ok,but not if its 9000w.it will go dead 😟 .

Last edited:

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your use of "RMS" as a power rating got me digging around some car audio sites. I found the chart you're referencing about the 850 cca battery being able to only support a 764 watt RMS amplifier. Definitely, some interesting info.
Way deeper than I ever got into car audio.

saylor

Reaction score
just got off the phone with my brother.who help me install my stereo.he wanted to know how i made out.i told him what happen.and how does he get away with his(1500amp).he said he was having the same issue in his car,so he went to "BestBuy".he told me that the people there said he would be ok as long as he quits turning it up so loud :LOL: :LOL: ...wish he had told me that before...oh well😄
hey boss lemmie buy your old amp you took out

Users who are viewing this thread