5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ambient Lighting Issues

Saints

Reaction score
Here is what I discovered. If you turn the dial for ambient lighting all the way up until it clicks the gauges are bright at night but no ambient lighting. One click down you get ambient lighting and can adjust the brightness of it. Your gauges are dim though when you have ambient lighting on. I don't get RAM's thinking.
I don’t have a Ram yet, but when I test drove one the other day the lights were on auto and it got dark enough for them to come on and the 12” screen and gauges got pretty dim. A lot more dim than I thought they should get. I did turn the switch up and down to make the gauges brighter, but is there a setting in uconnect to make them not dim as much without turning the switch all the way up to keep ambient lighting?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t have a Ram yet, but when I test drove one the other day the lights were on auto and it got dark enough for them to come on and the 12” screen and gauges got pretty dim. A lot more dim than I thought they should get. I did turn the switch up and down to make the gauges brighter, but is there a setting in uconnect to make them not dim as much without turning the switch all the way up to keep ambient lighting?
Yes, there is.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For me when panel and screen is full bright at night, it’s distracting to me.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, there is.

Only for the screen not the gauges. The problem for me is there is a big jump in brightness when you feel that clock on the dial. (referring to gauge brightness). The lights come on way too early during dusk/dawn overcast and while I don't like blinding bright gauges at nighttime I also can't handle how dim them are during the day especially during the dusk/dawn conditions.

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you have ambient lighting everywhere else on the dash, than yes, you should have it above the glovebox as well. Otherwise, you only get the single "ambient" LED above the overhead center console (on the headliner).

Cheers,

on my rebel that is the only ambient light i have(map light)

silverbullet

Reaction score
Only for the screen not the gauges. The problem for me is there is a big jump in brightness when you feel that clock on the dial. (referring to gauge brightness). The lights come on way too early during dusk/dawn overcast and while I don't like blinding bright gauges at nighttime I also can't handle how dim them are during the day especially during the dusk/dawn conditions.
It's a software issue unfortunately. My laramie is the same way and it's mentioned elsewhere on here. My challenger has got it right and so did my Durango. In the situation that you are describing the dash lights should continue with the 'day/brightness' setting even though the 'auto' headlights were triggered. When it's actually dark(er) outside it should then revert to your 'night' settings for cluster brightness.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's a software issue unfortunately. My laramie is the same way and it's mentioned elsewhere on here. My challenger has got it right and so did my Durango. In the situation that you are describing the dash lights should continue with the 'day/brightness' setting even though the 'auto' headlights were triggered. When it's actually dark(er) outside it should then revert to your 'night' settings for cluster brightness.

If it's a software issue then it should be remedied by RAM but they won't do anything about it because you can't get to the people who can actually make a difference. The proof is FCA surveys. When I complete a survey I make meaningful comments and I have asked someone like a product manager to call me so I can actually speak to someone who has some influence but they never do because in the end they really do not care.

Fidomac

Reaction score
Hello,

I’m having issues with the ambient lighting in my ‘19 Laramie. The light above the glove box only works some of the time, the other lights work as they should. Is anyone else having this issue? I’m going to take it to the dealer, but I’m a little nervous about how much would have to be removed to get to the light itself if it needs to be replaced. I’ve tracked acouple pics to show you what I’m talking about.

Thanks
Just had mine replaced... It was not working at all .... To my understanding they don't have to tear into the dash to work on it

Briencrotty

Reaction score
That definitely
That definitely stinks. I've had the same trouble. Even late at night, the gauges are too dim, or blazingly bright. There's no in between. That's honestly my only beef about the truck so far.

B

James Cole

Reaction score
Hello guys...

My ambient lighting worked previously now the rear doors and dash wont light up... is there a trick to make them work again?

Lize

Reaction score
on my rebel that is the only ambient light i have(map light)
So I'm right in thinking the only ambient lighting in the Rebel is the footwells and from map console onto the sliding cup holders?
I didn't actually check the rear of the cabin.

I haven't looked does anyone happen to know if the footwell is bulbs or LEDs, just wondering whether to change these to red and maybe add some more in other places.

Users who are viewing this thread