5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ambient Lighting Issues

TXlaramie

Reaction score
Hello,

I’m having issues with the ambient lighting in my ‘19 Laramie. The light above the glove box only works some of the time, the other lights work as they should. Is anyone else having this issue? I’m going to take it to the dealer, but I’m a little nervous about how much would have to be removed to get to the light itself if it needs to be replaced. I’ve tracked acouple pics to show you what I’m talking about.

Thanks

Attachments

• 3BB227C3-4E53-4DF2-951B-F3408C920BE1.jpeg
    3BB227C3-4E53-4DF2-951B-F3408C920BE1.jpeg
    161.4 KB · Views: 681
  • 1BCCE2DF-322A-4F34-BB85-D366776F6BE2.jpeg
    1BCCE2DF-322A-4F34-BB85-D366776F6BE2.jpeg
    177.4 KB · Views: 680

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I think mine only lights up in the far corner of the upper glovebox, not the whole length of it.

TXlaramie

Reaction score
That’s weird, mine lights up all the way across when it decides to work. I do know that it lights up from right to left.

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I will play around with mine tonight. I dont know if it has any quirks likes only coming on when the car is started rather then when door is open, etc. Additionally, I more have a hotspot on the far right and slowly fades out towards the left. When yours works, it looks pretty uniform.

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I guess my black interior might be harder to throw light all the way to left versus your gorgeous brown interior!

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sr6Aara.jpg

I stand corrected. Truth be told, I haven't driven it at night just yet and that picture was from the day I bought it home.

TXlaramie

Reaction score
It looks different depending on the angle. It looks more uniform if you’re looking at it from the passenger seat.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here is what I discovered. If you turn the dial for ambient lighting all the way up until it clicks the gauges are bright at night but no ambient lighting. One click down you get ambient lighting and can adjust the brightness of it. Your gauges are dim though when you have ambient lighting on. I don't get RAM's thinking.

I Love Grits

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I will play around with mine tonight. I dont know if it has any quirks likes only coming on when the car is started rather then when door is open, etc. Additionally, I more have a hotspot on the far right and slowly fades out towards the left. When yours works, it looks pretty uniform.

My longhorn is the same way. I looked at the upper glove box closer and noticed that the spacing between the glove box door and the adjacent trim is not even. Towards the center console, the fit is a lot tighter and covers up most of the light. As you head to the door side, the spacing increases and the lights become uncovered.

I'll try to grab a pic with a ruler.

ETA photos:

So the biggest issue seems to be the difference in height of the wood from left to right when looking at the dash. I think this is mainly attributed to the door being made out of actual wood and the variances that will come with working with a natural product.

How flush the door sits to the surrounding trim above:

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

Door sits about 1/8" more towards the front of the truck on the right side. But notice there is a lot more black space visible on the right, despite being only 1/8" less flush.

Checking the gap along the bottom:

image6.jpeg

image7.jpeg

Door is about 1/16" higher on the left than the right side.

The gap along the top is the culprit:

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

Notice how there is no gap at the top on the left side (1st photo) but quite a gap exists on the right.

Pulling down on the door a little bit further accentuates the difference:

image5.jpeg

Given that all of the other measurements are within 1/8" of each other, the only thing I can figure is the door itself is not the same height from left to right.

So the door is taller on the left than the right, and there's a small gap - does it really affect anything though? The problem is that the accent lighting runs along the top of the door and is tucked nearly directly above. With the door being taller on the left side and having a curve built into it, the light on the left side is blocked by the height of the door. As the door tapers to the right, more of the led strip is exposed and the lights are able to shine on the door itself as intended.

The end result looks something like this:

IMG_1385.JPG

Last edited:

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I think mine only lights up in the far corner of the upper glovebox, not the whole length of it.

Same here.
Regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 002469 miles.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Hello,

I’m having issues with the ambient lighting in my ‘19 Laramie. The light above the glove box only works some of the time, the other lights work as they should. Is anyone else having this issue? I’m going to take it to the dealer, but I’m a little nervous about how much would have to be removed to get to the light itself if it needs to be replaced. I’ve tracked acouple pics to show you what I’m talking about.

Thanks
I have a similar issue, except mine stays dark 100% of the time. Exact same area also.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
I have the same issue, my ambient light above the glove box has never turned on. Don't think I'm willing to let the dealer remove a bunch of panels just to fix a light, and have it returned to me with rattles in the dash because it got put together wrong. IMO

borant

Reaction score
I put ambient light brightness dial all the the down because I hate hissing sound of power converter somewhere in the back.

WickedMachine

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the top glove box lighting issues.
Not only does the top light sometimes work, it only lights up the very corner of the compartment instead of a straight line.
When I took a closer look, this entire piece was installed crooked.
The picture below was taken at night with iPhone's flash inside the truck to demonstrate that even with every door closed, illumination off, etc. The light on the inside of the top glove box will remain on until you press on the cover.
IMG_0800.JPG

Last edited:

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Here is a picture of the top glove box lighting issues.
Not only does the top light sometimes work, it only lights up the very corner of the compartment instead of a straight line.
When I took a closer look, this entire piece was installed crooked.
The picture below was taken at night with iPhone's flash inside the truck to demonstrate that even with every door closed, illumination off, etc. The light on the inside of the top glove box will remain on until you press on the cover.
View attachment 4357
Yeah. That stinks. And this is not even ambient lighting. That’s your inside glovebox light.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The dealer replaced my upper glove box assembly because the interior glove box lamp would never go out when the glove box door was closed. After replacement I noticed that the ambient lighting across the top was much more uniform than before, but still slightly biased towards the right side.

I did learn that the glove box assembly is a vendor supplied item.

Regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 003178 miles.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
The dealer replaced my upper glove box assembly because the interior glove box lamp would never go out when the glove box door was closed. After replacement I noticed that the ambient lighting across the top was much more uniform than before, but still slightly biased towards the right side.

I did learn that the glove box assembly is a vendor supplied item.

Regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 003178 miles.
Thanks for the update. So what did they replace?

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. So what did they replace?

They replaced to entire upper glove box assembly. Apparently there are no individual replacement parts so it's spared as a complete assembly.

Regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 003274 miles.

Andrew_h33

Reaction score
They replaced to entire upper glove box assembly. Apparently there are no individual replacement parts so it's spared as a complete assembly.

Regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 003274 miles.

Having the same problem. What did that cost you? Did warranty cover any of it?

Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread