5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AlfaOBD

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The Uconnect 5 is still very buggy. They should have waited another year in development before releasing.

titan3636

Reaction score
Is there a forum that shows the feature change differences of alpha obd vs tazer dt? Just wondering what additional features / changes can be done from also getting a tazer dt to decide it it’d be worth it. Thx!!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is there a forum that shows the feature change differences of alpha obd vs tazer dt? Just wondering what additional features / changes can be done from also getting a tazer dt to decide it it’d be worth it. Thx!!
If you look up the "live functions" for the TazerDT, that is your difference.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Also, you can make more changes with alfaOBD than the TazerDT currently supports. Although, it's just a matter of updating the programming on the TazerDT to be able to make any changes alfaOBD can. But the TazerDT may be limited on how many functions it can support based on the chip used in it

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thx I found it googling “taxer dr live functions”

View attachment 130786
Also just look at the manual.

I think that's what you found by googleing it but it's on the sales page for Z Automotive.

Sucks that it doesn't work on the 2022s yet I ended up returning mine because 95% of the features didn't work.

since you have a 21 you should be fine.
Notable features are having turn signals (amber) running whenever you want including at night with headlights.
Navigation in motion
Cameras in motion
Auto start-stop memory

titan3636

Reaction score
Oh nice. I have my DRL switched to amber in the day but at night it changes to all white. That’d be cool if I could make it stay amber all the time

Corneeeeelius

Reaction score
AlfaOBD doesn’t do anything for my truck. 2019 ram tradesman. I bought it thinking I was going to be able to get remote start only to find out that it actually can’t program keys. It’s great that you can enable things but if you don’t have the hardware then what is the real point of buying this? Waste of money for the fifth gens.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
AlfaOBD doesn’t do anything for my truck. 2019 ram tradesman. I bought it thinking I was going to be able to get remote start only to find out that it actually can’t program keys. It’s great that you can enable things but if you don’t have the hardware then what is the real point of buying this? Waste of money for the fifth gens.
You can't add anything that the truck is not equipt to support. Meaning you have to buy and install the parts required for the options you want enabled. Sounds like you needed to do more research into alfaOBD before purchasing it.

Corneeeeelius

Reaction score
You can't add anything that the truck is not equipt to support. Meaning you have to buy and install the parts required for the options you want enabled. Sounds like you needed to do more research into alfaOBD before purchasing it.
Definitely. It just sucks that there are all these videos online of people programming stuff into their trucks like key fobs and auto windows down and such, then finding out that it only works for 4th gens. I just hope someone finds this thread and realizes that FCA screwed all the new truck owners by locking out these functions that Alfaobd is known for.

Also, how is everyone even finding out what parts are needed to make certain options work?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Definitely. It just sucks that there are all these videos online of people programming stuff into their trucks like key fobs and auto windows down and such, then finding out that it only works for 4th gens. I just hope someone finds this thread and realizes that FCA screwed all the new truck owners by locking out these functions that Alfaobd is known for.

Also, how is everyone even finding out what parts are needed to make certain options work?

Ask questions in the thread or search.

It's common knowledge the 2019+ trucks have a security gateway requiring a bypass, and rolling PIN codes that prevent you from programming your own key fobs.

FCA added a security gateway to prevent hacking the truck via the radio and to reduce vehicle theft by requiring a dealer or registered locksmith rolling PIN code access to program a FOB.

Adding sales codes requires certain hard parts, also found in sticky threads. You can't just magically turn something on that doesn't have the requisite parts installed.

Brunzca

Reaction score
Apologies in advance... I've been trying to find this answer, but there is just so much info here.

If I'm only trying to recalibrate speedo/change tire size, do I need to use the security bypass cable on a 2021 Bighorn? Or can I plug the OBD II reader directly in to the port?

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Apologies in advance... I've been trying to find this answer, but there is just so much info here.

If I'm only trying to recalibrate speedo/change tire size, do I need to use the security bypass cable on a 2021 Bighorn? Or can I plug the OBD II reader directly in to the port?
No. You need the security bypass for all changes.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

FYI I use https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DLB6VH6?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
It's only $25.
In theory you could use it to make changes and return it back to Amazon if you really wanted...

It's super easy to install, legit 30 seconds if even. Just 2 plugs to the left of your ODB2 port.

Brunzca

Reaction score
FYI I use https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DLB6VH6?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
It's only $25.
In theory you could use it to make changes and return it back to Amazon if you really wanted...

It's super easy to install, legit 30 seconds if even. Just 2 plugs to the left of your ODB2 port.

I've actually got the bypass cable already - ordered it with the reader/scanner... After looking under the dash the first time, and trying to figure out where to plug the cables in, I was hoping I could just plug the reader into the OBD port and be done.. LOL. I finally found the two wires, but ran out of time tonight, so will have to wait until later to try and mess with it.

Ibanez540r

Reaction score
Does anyone know where/what options are in AlphaOBD for the Homelink system?

Prior to doing any updates on my 12" display, or playing with Alpha, my screen on the dash used to display which button was transmitting when I was pressing it. Just realized somewhere along the way that it no longer displays anything.

I have an intermittent garage door opener issue and it is nice to know the truck is transmitting the signal while I'm holding the button. Would like to get that back if there is a setting somewhere.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
I followed the instructions posted on pg 26 and installed a front facing camera last weekend, had it all programmed in OBD and was just waiting for the video adapter to show up before I posted.

Other than the grill being far more complicated to take off than necessary, it was fairly simple and straightforward.

I lost connection to a bunch of the body modules, including the cameras, after unplugging the radio but they all came back after a few hours.

Not that it really matters but I would opt for a higher resolution camera if I was to do this again.

cb6c784a9942890ffa587d6f1640739b.jpg

09fd920dc075f49ff480c21af0dc008b.jpg

04c70ba3c2a703471bac068372fc6886.jpg

8da1e04e14437233d1ddde8bb04021ce.jpg

Last edited:

azzx

Reaction score
Did the same.
Now intermittently I get the blue screen saying camera is not available.
Loose connection somewhere?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/