5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AlfaOBD Known Changes 5th Gen

Dogpatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Man O Man. Some people. I can see why you have 9,915 posts and the moniker of “locally hated”. You’re a right fighter. They’re all sarcastic posts!
I didn’t join this forum to have a pi$$ing match. It appears that you did.
Personally, I came to learn about my truck, share some of my experience with it and have the odd laugh. Likely the same as most others here.
I’ll take the high road, your Tazer DT is better than my AlphaOBD set up. You’re right and I’m wrong. There! Satisfied?
Just let it go for Gawd sake.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Man O Man. Some people. I can see why you have 9,915 posts and the moniker of “locally hated”. You’re a right fighter. They’re all sarcastic posts!
I didn’t join this forum to have a pi$$ing match. It appears that you did.
Personally, I came to learn about my truck, share some of my experience with it and have the odd laugh. Likely the same as most others here.
I’ll take the high road, your Tazer DT is better than my AlphaOBD set up. You’re right and I’m wrong. There! Satisfied?
Just let it go for Gawd sake.
TazerDT and AlfaOBD have nothing to do with each other.
I don't think you understand how it works...

Hes using the TazerDT as expensive SGW bypass module.
AlfaOBD is software that connects to an odb2 reader via your odb2 port to change settings on your truck. The TazerDT doesn't connect to your odb2 port, nor does it allow you to use AlfaOBD because it's not an odb2 device.
I use AlfaOBD while my Tazer is connected, which don't interact, irrelevant.....

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

AlfaOBD is software that connects to an odb2 reader via your odb2 port to change settings on your truck. The TazerDT doesn't connect to your odb2 port, nor does it allow you to use AlfaOBD because it's not an odb2 device.
I use AlfaOBD while my Tazer is connected, which don't interact, irrelevant.....
Technically, it does allow me to use alfaObd since it's acting as the SGW bypass needed for alfaObd to make changes. But I get what you are saying.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Technically, it does allow me to use alfaObd since it's acting as the SGW bypass needed for alfaObd to make changes. But I get what you are saying.
It allows you to use AlfaOBD just like owning a Ram truck does. Stretching it to call by itself an AlfaOBD setup. On its own it doesn't enable you to use AlfaOBD.

Dogpatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I have a fair understanding of how they both work, but I’m by no means a pro user with either. That’s why I’m on this thread. My point was merely that you have to leave the TazerDT constantly plugged in and that I felt the AlphaOBD had more permanent changes once done and removed.
It all went to sh*t from there. Unintentionally of course.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have a fair understanding of how they both work, but I’m by no means a pro user with either. That’s why I’m on this thread. My point was merely that you have to leave the TazerDT constantly plugged in and that I felt the AlphaOBD had more permanent changes once done and removed.
It all went to sh*t from there. Unintentionally of course.
You do not need to leave the TazerDT plugged in after you make changes using AlfaOBD while you have the TazerDT connected as a Bypass.

The TazerDT main purpose has nothing to do with AlfaOBD but it does allow you to bypass the SGW without that splitter cable directly into your odb2 port as a byproduct of what it does do.

Any changes you make are saved to the respective module (typically bcm) and thus are permanent.
The TazerDT does allow you to make changes via your instrument cluster that might be similar to what AlfaOBD can do such as changing location of DRL and tire size and persist when removed.
That said TazerDT also has live changes it can do while plugged in, 100% of which AlfaOBD can't do because they are different things that function differently.

Dogpatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You do not need to leave the TazerDT plugged in after you make changes using AlfaOBD while you have the TazerDT connected as a Bypass.

The TazerDT main purpose has nothing to do with AlfaOBD but it does allow you to bypass the SGW without that splitter cable directly into your odb2 port as a byproduct of what it does do.

Any changes you make are saved to the respective module (typically bcm) and thus are permanent.
The TazerDT does allow you to make changes via your instrument cluster that might be similar to what AlfaOBD can do such as changing location of DRL and tire size and persist when removed.
That said TazerDT also has live changes it can do while plugged in, 100% of which AlfaOBD can't do because they are different things that function differently.
Thanks for the info.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Blah blah blah. Still at it I see. LOL.
At least I know what I'm arguing about for someone who tries to call me out for wanting to argue, you sure do like to tell others about things you don't even understand
Screenshot_20240501-093957.png

Last edited:

Dogpatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
At least I know what I'm arguing about for someone who tries to call me out for wanting to argue, you sure do like to tell others about things you don't even understand
Unbelievable. Feel better now?
I‘m sure if you keep going you’ll soon reach your 10,000 post goal chastising the members here. You must be a real treat at parties!

Rambiss

Reaction score
Well, maybe you guys can help someone out who DOESN'T know much about either. I posted this on the comfort settings post, but haven't received any help. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong trying to change my comfort settings temps?

I can't seem to get this process down, obviously I'm doing something wrong. I'm using the black, with red plug ends, bypass cable. I have that in place, with the MC+ into it and connected to Alfa, but it won't connect to the "comfort, seat module". It shows me a message when I try to connect to the seat module, it's the middle picture below. Then after 4 tries, it gives me the error shown on the bottom pic. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? 2024 1500 BTW.

Alfa1.JPG

Alfa2.JPG

Alfa3.JPG

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Well, maybe you guys can help someone out who DOESN'T know much about either. I posted this on the comfort settings post, but haven't received any help. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong trying to change my comfort settings temps?

I can't seem to get this process down, obviously I'm doing something wrong. I'm using the black, with red plug ends, bypass cable. I have that in place, with the MC+ into it and connected to Alfa, but it won't connect to the "comfort, seat module". It shows me a message when I try to connect to the seat module, it's the middle picture below. Then after 4 tries, it gives me the error shown on the bottom pic. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? 2024 1500 BTW.

Alfa1.JPG

Alfa2.JPG

Alfa3.JPG
Can you connect to the BCM fine?

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Oh the irony. 🤣

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Alfa1.JPG

Alfa2.JPG

Alfa3.JPG
What exactly are you trying to change?

Rambiss

Reaction score
Yes, I can connect to the BCM and make changes. I'm trying to adjust the comfort setting temp set points, mainly so it works outside of the 40 and 80 thresholds.

Users who are viewing this thread