5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AlfaOBD Known Changes 5th Gen

pyrowagon

Reaction score
I am a new member but have read the form and used search feature, I have 2020 ram 2500 tradesmen with factory bed light I would like to turn off the bed lights when opening the door, only want to work when I push the button is this possible with alphaobd, I ordered the cable from koadtech and have the program

John Jensen

Reaction score
I am a new member but have read the form and used search feature, I have 2020 ram 2500 tradesmen with factory bed light I would like to turn off the bed lights when opening the door, only want to work when I push the button is this possible with alphaobd, I ordered the cable from koadtech and have the program
Welcome to the forum.

I don't know the answer but here's what I do when I wonder if a feature is in Alfa. I open Alfa on my phone or my computer without it hooked to the truck and leisurely search around Alpha. I go through the paces as though I'm hooked up to the truck, ignoring the "Connect" command. I especially like it if I'm in the Body Computer, Car Configuration Change because it allows you to do a search. If there is a bed light item I believe it would be in the Configuration Change listings.

Hope this helps

rwo978

Reaction score
Finally got an AlfaOBD setup for my birthday. Truck is a year and a half old, finally getting to changes.
I was able to find the instructions to change the fog light dropoff to off and activate the brake controller I added, works fine and comes up on the dash.

What I couldn't find...

activate the power inverter (mounted in the dash with the 2 plugs in the console, not the Rambox). I searched various "inverter" settings and swapped some of them, changed some from no to yes, but still didn't work. tested with a known plug and phone, no dice.

disable the seatbelt chime. self explanatory. I have plug in extenders I plug in for the meantime, but that's annoying.

Thanks!!

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure of your other stuff but YouTube the seat belt chime it's a sequence of ignition button then buckling and unbuckling the seat belt. Not an Alfaobd thing.

rwo978

Reaction score
Not sure of your other stuff but YouTube the seat belt chime it's a sequence of ignition button then buckling and unbuckling the seat belt. Not an Alfaobd thing.
Not for the 20's and newer. Worked on my 19, but not on this 22. Its in the computer, has to be deactivated.

rwo978

Reaction score
Seat belt stop worked fine on my 22 Limited.
Post in thread '2023 disable seatbelt alarm?'
2023 disable seatbelt alarm?

I did some Google searching. 21s seemed to still work. 23s didn’t. And 22s seemed to be 50/50. Could be maybe a tweak to a setting pushed out during a software update. I dunno. I’ll try the sequence again. I also found a YouTube video of a 4th Gen and Alfaobd disable. Maybe the process is the same.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Post in thread '2023 disable seatbelt alarm?'
2023 disable seatbelt alarm?

I did some Google searching. 21s seemed to still work. 23s didn’t. And 22s seemed to be 50/50. Could be maybe a tweak to a setting pushed out during a software update. I dunno. I’ll try the sequence again. I also found a YouTube video of a 4th Gen and Alfaobd disable. Maybe the process is the same.

AlfaOBD can’t even disable the seatbelt chime on any 5th gen cluster type.
Seatbelt trick works on all model years and instrument clusters except the new 12” digital cluster.
Witech can disable the chime on the 12” digital cluster via dealership or aftermarket user.

I’m sure the new 12” digital cluster has some type of manual sequence to disable the chime, but just hasn’t been figured out yet.

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not for the 20's and newer. Worked on my 19, but not on this 22. Its in the computer, has to be deactivated.
It worked on my 2023 but I had to buckle/unbuckle 5 times instead of 3 times. It works! Just play around a little.

rwo978

Reaction score
5 worked. Seatbelt message still shows up on the dash though.

Anyone have the info for the in cab inverter and the bed lights?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

The seat belt indicator will always be on. There isn't a way to disable it.

Will98208

Reaction score
Press and hold the two most outer soft keys on the screen
View attachment 120675

This will bring you to Dealer Mode.
View attachment 120676

Press System Information
View attachment 120677
Press Radio Part Information
View attachment 120678
That is where you verify.
Pressing the two outermost keys does not work on my 2023 Ram 1500 Laramie. Just tries to move one of the icons no matter how I try to press and hold them at the same time. Did I miss something? Is there another way to get to this info?

rwo978

Reaction score

Figured out the cab inverter. I had everything right, just needed to add the fuse (F60) in the cab panel under the steering wheel. I couldn't find the specific fuse anywhere in town and the stealership had to order them, so I have a jerry-rigged fuse holder for now. I also found the bed lights settings with the help of the software people.

I'll do a separate writeup on the entire inverter install process.

I also found that this video for the seatbelt disable also works on the new style, it's in ALFAObd as is displayed here.

JimStinson

Reaction score
Any recommendations for which OBD2 connector to use. The prices vary so much. Also will Alfa work with the Zurich 15 from Harbor Freight?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for which OBD2 connector to use. The prices vary so much. Also will Alfa work with the Zurich 15 from Harbor Freight?
Alfaobd is an app for Android and a program for Windows.
The Zurich is a handheld scanner... So no it's not going to work.

Almost any ODB2 Bluetooth should work. Mine was $14 off ebay from around 2008 and it works fine.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Alfaobd is an app for Android and a program for Windows.
The Zurich is a handheld scanner... So no it's not going to work.

Almost any ODB2 Bluetooth should work. Mine was $14 off ebay from around 2008 and it works fine.

The cheap adapters don't connect to all modules.

Users who are viewing this thread