5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alfa OBD or Jscan. Which is better?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks Jimmy. I gotcha. So something like this wouldn’t be able to read all the modules?

Vgate iCar Pro Bluetooth 4.0 (BLE) OBD2 Fault Code Reader OBDII Code Scanner Car Check Engine Light for iOS/Android https://a.co/d/5eO1KOq

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After you update your tire size and TPMS thresholds with JSCAN do you need to leave the Gateway cable and MC Linker attached or can all that be removed?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Looks promising. I’ve downloaded jscan just to poke around. I’ve found how to change DRLs, fog light dropout, disable seatbelt chime, and tire size.

Looking for these:
Accent light voltage (to make them brighter)

Side mirror turn signal LEDs on with headlights

Anyone found this yet?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Looks promising. I’ve downloaded jscan just to poke around. I’ve found how to change DRLs, fog light dropout, disable seatbelt chime, and tire size.

Looking for these:
Accent light voltage (to make them brighter)

Side mirror turn signal LEDs on with headlights

Anyone found this yet?
Accent light voltage can’t be changed.
Side mirror signals as runners lights can’t be done with Jscan. Need tazer live feature to do that.
Keep in mind, Jscan does the exact same things as AlfaOBD, and can not do any “live” things that tazer does.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That’s easy. In that post, he has his headlight switch in the parking lamp position.
Nope. That was key fob start with the headlight switch in the auto position like normal. The signature lights are bright only till hitting the start button when getting in the truck.

I turned off the signature lights and now just have amber turns activated in my Taser.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Nope. That was key fob start with the headlight switch in the auto position like normal. The signature lights are bright only till hitting the start button when getting in the truck.

I turned off the signature lights and now just have amber turns activated in my Taser.
Ah that makes sense. So obviously they are capable of being bright, we just can’t make ‘em do it. Sux they they have a way to increase voltage on a bunch of lights, just not these.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Ah, gotcha. I forgot remote start exhibits the running light behavior too

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Quick question, does jscan let you back up and restore the ecu config like alpha does?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just ordered these two. Is this all I need? Also, can someone confirm that you can backup/restore changes in jscan?

Cable Adapter Compatible with Chry-sler 12+8 Programming Cable Connector for Autel DS808 Maxisys Main Test Cable for Autel DS808 Maxisys MS905 MS906 MS906BT MS906S MS908 MS908S Pro https://a.co/d/aLByjzE

Vgate vLinker MC+ Bluetooth OBD2 Car Diagnostic Scan Tool for iOS, Android & Windows https://a.co/d/gLWsrfg

JRD

Reaction score
Two completely different things. TazerDT isa plug in module that you control umthrough the EVIC screen using steering wheel controls. Has a predefined menu that allows you to change certain things and also offers "live" features only the TazerDT can do.

alfaObd is an app you install on your phone/tablet/laptop that interfaces through an OBD2 adapter. It allows you to enable or disable certain features, most of which are just factory options.
Could you use the TazerDT & Alfa at the same time? For example, could I use the Tazer for auto folding mirrors and the Alfa for basically everything else? Or is that asking for trouble

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Could you use the TazerDT & Alfa at the same time? For example, could I use the Tazer for auto folding mirrors and the Alfa for basically everything else? Or is that asking for trouble
Yes, and the TazerDT acts as a SGW bypass, so no need to buy a separate cable for that

JRD

Reaction score
Yes, and the TazerDT acts as a SGW bypass, so no need to buy a separate cable for that
Awesome, good to know. I will definitely have to do some more research because I don’t even know what SGW stands for lol. I don’t really drive my truck so never really cared about mods until recently and now I’ve got a laundry list of things I want

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome, good to know. I will definitely have to do some more research because I don’t even know what SGW stands for lol. I don’t really drive my truck so never really cared about mods until recently and now I’ve got a laundry list of things I want
SGW is Security Gate Way. In order to use alfaObd you need to bypass the SGW. Most use a separate harness, but the TazerDT acts a bypass. I have made changes with alfaObd while using the TazerDT

JRD

Reaction score
SGW is Security Gate Way. In order to use alfaObd you need to bypass the SGW. Most use a separate harness, but the TazerDT acts a bypass. I have made changes with alfaObd while using the TazerDT
Thank you for clarification! Any issues with Tazer or have you been happy with it

Users who are viewing this thread