5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AirBags - Timber Grove vs AirLift 5000 Ultimate Plus+

2020 Rebel

Reaction score
I have a lift, off road quite frequently and tow quite a bit during the summers and have had no issues with my Timber groves. Love them.
I have a 2020 stock quad cab Rebel and want to get these to help carry a Cirrus 620 truck camper. BUT I run around with the bed empty 99% of the time if not carrying the camper. I find the Rebel OEM suspension bouncy enough already when the bed is empty.

Honestly ,do the Timber grove ASAM bags add more bounce when empty ?? Even if the bags are at minimum pressure ?

Also you said you off road too ! Another huge concern is that they will not allow for full suspension droop & compression travel ? True? False?

I am seeing mixed reviews on this thread

Last edited:

2020 Rebel

Reaction score
Anything you add to increase support will affect the ride. To help keep the bags from getting damaged, the manufacturers recommend that you keep a minimum amount of air in them. This is usually only 5 psi or so. This adds a little bit of resistance to the trucks suspension to move up and down as it normally would. I had the Air Lift 1000 HD bags for a while and did not care for them. I found they affected the ride too much. It felt very stiff with only 5 psi in them. I now have Timber Grove bags, but my truck is lowered and I have the CRM’s which replace the factory springs. So, I do not have personal experience with the ASAM’s (assist bags).
I was and still am considering the Timber grove CRM instead of the ASAM for my Stock rebel. I cant handle the ride getting ANY worse than stock when empty. I know you are lowered, but bet the ride is Cadillac ! ??

Rock Crawler

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was and still am considering the Timber grove CRM instead of the ASAM for my Stock rebel. I cant handle the ride getting ANY worse than stock when empty. I know you are lowered, but bet the ride is Cadillac ! ??

I also have Ridetech adjustable coilovers up front and Ridetech adjustable shocks in the rear. So, the overall ride is stiffer than stock, but I prefer a more responsive feel in suspension over the plush “Cadillac“ feel it was when stock. I think if you don’t want to stiffen the ride at all, stick with the stock springs and deal with the sag when towing. Anything you add most likely will change the feel of the suspension. I cannot comment on the effects of the ASAMs since I have never used them.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a 2020 stock quad cab Rebel and want to get these to help carry a Cirrus 620 truck camper. BUT I run around with the bed empty 99% of the time if not carrying the camper. I find the Rebel OEM suspension bouncy enough already when the bed is empty.

Honestly ,do the Timber grove ASAM bags add more bounce when empty ?? Even if the bags are at minimum pressure ?

Also you said you off road too ! Another huge concern is that they will not allow for full suspension droop & compression travel ? True? False?

I am seeing mixed reviews on this thread

My pair of pennies: you will be very unsatisfied hauling that camper with a 1500. 1600 lbs dry weight, before adding propane/water/food/cargo, then you need to climb into the truck at 150 lbs min, possibly your wife and/or other passengers. Not only will you exceed your payload (which can't be more than about 1600?) but a very good chance you exceed your RAWR as well. Even if you manage to stay under the ratings, that camper is top heavy and the rams suspension will not carry that well regardless of extra air bags. Even Ram 2500's do not haul truck campers well, the coil suspension is in board vs a more traditional leaf spring setup found on the Chevy/Fords, so they rock left to right more easily.

So there is a huge difference in performance carrying 1600 lbs of firewood vs 1600 pounds of truck camper. I would try to rent/beg/steal one for a day or two first before putting money down on one.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Timber Groves add some bounce if the bed is empty. Even at 5psi (measured by my onboard compressor) it lifted the back of the truck almost 1/2". They replace your bump stops, so at 5 psi they'll still allow for full suspension travel.

2020 Rebel

Reaction score
My pair of pennies: you will be very unsatisfied hauling that camper with a 1500. 1600 lbs dry weight, before adding propane/water/food/cargo, then you need to climb into the truck at 150 lbs min, possibly your wife and/or other passengers. Not only will you exceed your payload (which can't be more than about 1600?) but a very good chance you exceed your RAWR as well. Even if you manage to stay under the ratings, that camper is top heavy and the rams suspension will not carry that well regardless of extra air bags. Even Ram 2500's do not haul truck campers well, the coil suspension is in board vs a more traditional leaf spring setup found on the Chevy/Fords, so they rock left to right more easily.

So there is a huge difference in performance carrying 1600 lbs of firewood vs 1600 pounds of truck camper. I would try to rent/beg/steal one for a day or two first before putting money down on one.
Payload for my truck believe it or not is 1810 lb. Don't plan on driving on the interstate with the camper. Just 55 mph highways with me at 220, dog at 50, a paddle board that's too damn big at 33, some clothes provisions and dog food for the weekend maybe another 150? So fully wet with I think it's 17 gallons of water 141.78 ? I may be pushing close to 500 hundred pounds over, I honestly haven't added it all up yet. But CRM full replacement bags can easily handle that, and I drive like Grandpa. The build has started: Timber Grove full replacement bags most likely(maybe ASAM), Bilstein 6112 in the front at circlip 7 w/ RC OEM UCA's, probably 5160s in the back we're going to see how the Rebel shocks work first, a metal cloak JT rear track bar, and more than likely the bigger fatter rear hell wig or somebody else's fatter sway bar. The Cirrus 620 truck camper might look top heavy but the center of gravity is 24.75 inches up from the base/ bed floor and the tanks minus propane are in the floor. That's top heavy? It may be overloaded a bit, aye, but I think she'll handle it.

Last edited:

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Check your driver door jam theres a sticker there on the B pillar don't rely on google the sticker will have “your” actually specs

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Should say something like the combined weight should not exceed xx KG or xx lbs will also have your tire information on it. Just take a picture we can explain it. Should be right below the door latch.

2020 Rebel

Reaction score
Should say something like the combined weight should not exceed xx KG or xx lbs will also have your tire information on it. Just take a picture we can explain it. Should be right below the door latch.
yeah I found it with the tire info/inflation/size sticker

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
research and websites, jamb sticker is a bit lower

How much though, probably around 1500 to 1600?

As I suspected, you'll be over payload and more concerning you'll quite likely be over your rear axle limit. Could be wrong, but this is sort of the wrong truck for that camper despite how they market it.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep I haven’t heard of a rebel trim having 1800lb of payload.. the very few that I heard of having numbers anywhere close to that would be a tradesman/lower optioned big horn.

Maybe look into a small travel trailer or pop up camper or maybe the setup that @boogielander runs would fit your needs.

Users who are viewing this thread