5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Suspension not returning to Normal mode after Easy entry setting.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well today for the first time, the truck appears to doing as designed, and w/o any service. (I have a scheduled visit this week, go figure.) No matter how I lowered the truck, and or started the truck, meaning from key fob or using the interior selector and push to start, the truck would raise to NORM height at 15 MPH as designed... I am not sure what to make of this but prior it would not function at all after lowering the truck unless manually selecting to raise it.. Hmmmmmm

That would be the MO ! Mine done the same thing four or 5 times then after setting over night a few days it would go straight to AERO mode and stay there unless I manually changed it.Also another check I would make was after Truck was moving at any speed select Tow\haul it should default to NRH when you engage Tow/haul mode. Mine would stay in AERO mode even in tow haul once it started going back to AERO mode.Crazy.

DraKhen99

Reaction score
I know this thread is a little old, and I'm new to the RAM's air suspension, but here's what's happening:

I used the fob to lower the truck to entry/exit mode (one of the reasons I bought the RAM in the first place - easy on my bad knees!).

I then got in the truck to drive home, and realized as I got on the highway (I had already driven 40-50mph) that the air suspension display was still in EE mode. I manually bumped it up to Aero, and it raised and when asked to lower to EE mode again, a message popped up saying it wouldn't do it due to speed.

I read through the manual and it seems like the truck should automatically raise itself to aero or normal height after driving 15mph or faster, right? And then go back to Aero mode on the highway? Is there some reset I can do without having to go to the dealer. 100 miles on this beast and I'm already experiencing an issue?

Thanks,

-John

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I know this thread is a little old, and I'm new to the RAM's air suspension, but here's what's happening:

I used the fob to lower the truck to entry/exit mode (one of the reasons I bought the RAM in the first place - easy on my bad knees!).

I then got in the truck to drive home, and realized as I got on the highway (I had already driven 40-50mph) that the air suspension display was still in EE mode. I manually bumped it up to Aero, and it raised and when asked to lower to EE mode again, a message popped up saying it wouldn't do it due to speed.

I read through the manual and it seems like the truck should automatically raise itself to aero or normal height after driving 15mph or faster, right? And then go back to Aero mode on the highway? Is there some reset I can do without having to go to the dealer. 100 miles on this beast and I'm already experiencing an issue?

Thanks,

-John
You know, this reminds me...in a previous thread, and based on my own experience, this issue only seems to occur when I lower the truck with the fob. When I do so while sitting in the truck (while it’s running), it automatically raises to Normal as I drive off. I haven’t really worried about it, since I can always raise it with the toggle.

DraKhen99

Reaction score
You know, this reminds me...in a previous thread, and based on my own experience, this issue only seems to occur when I lower the truck with the fob. When I do so while sitting in the truck (while it’s running), it automatically raises to Normal as I drive off. I haven’t really worried about it, since I can always raise it with the toggle.

That's reassuring ... I noticed yesterday I could manually toggle it up into Aero mode, which is where it stayed the rest of the trip home and my commute in this morning. At least the manual adjustments work! I should be able to remember to raise it up to NRH when taking off (I will be using EE mode to load/unload stuff from the bed), and then the system should function properly.

I'll have to bring it up with the service advisor.

-John

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Seems to do it when remote started in EE as well. Just check to make sure that 'Auto Aero mode' is enabled and it should be automagic (most of the time).

I've also found when the truck isn't behaving, that disabling a feature and re-enabling seems to work.

DraKhen99

Reaction score
Seems to do it when remote started in EE as well. Just check to make sure that 'Auto Aero mode' is enabled and it should be automagic (most of the time).

I've also found when the truck isn't behaving, that disabling a feature and re-enabling seems to work.

HAHA, I'm in IT, so I get the whole "turn it off and back on again" adage.

I will disable/enable the Auto Aero Mode when I get out to my truck to go home.

I DID go out earlier, start up the truck while sitting in it, and go from EE to OR2 and back to EE, using the toggle switch.

As an aside, I've read that a "reset" can be done on the air suspension - how does one accomplish this? I tried searching, to no avail.

Thanks,

-John

Zinger

Reaction score
The one time I tried letting it raise itself from EE mode I got 1/4 mile down the road and it didn't seem to be raising so I raised it manually. I haven't tried it again.

I leave it in Aero all the time, and after reading this thread I hit tow/haul on the way home to see if it would go to Normal automatically and it stayed in Aero. It will automatically lower to aero on the highway if I put it in Normal.

I'm not sure what the correct behavior in each mode should be, but these are my experiences.

DraKhen99

Reaction score
The one time I tried letting it raise itself from EE mode I got 1/4 mile down the road and it didn't seem to be raising so I raised it manually. I haven't tried it again.

I leave it in Aero all the time, and after reading this thread I hit tow/haul on the way home to see if it would go to Normal automatically and it stayed in Aero. It will automatically lower to aero on the highway if I put it in Normal.

I'm not sure what the correct behavior in each mode should be, but these are my experiences.

From what I understand, the air suspension is supposed to automatically raise the truck to NRH at surface street speed, and then lower to Aero mode at 60 plus, then return to normal when you slow down.

This is how mine functioned on my drive home tonight, after setting EE mode using the toggle.

I'm gonna play with it some more over the next week or so and bring it up at my first service.

John

BigHorn-SV

Reaction score
My truck has stuck in EE mode at speeds above 15 MPH at least a half dozen times. The truck's suspension is not supposed to perform in this manner. At 15 MPH, the 4-corner air suspension is supposed to automatically raise from EE to Aero mode or Normal mode - based upon which of those two ride-heights you last manually set it to (i.e., using the dash switch) after reaching 15 MPH. I haven't noticed whether my truck's suspension gets stuck in EE mode only when using the key fob, and there is nothing in the owners manual that states it should. Service Manager at my dealer said he's seen other truck's 4-corner air suspension fail in this manner as well. Ride quality is horrible in this mode. My dealer said FCA currently offers no fix yet available for this fault.

DraKhen99

Reaction score
My truck has stuck in EE mode at speeds above 15 MPH at least a half dozen times. The truck's suspension is not supposed to perform in this manner. At 15 MPH, the 4-corner air suspension is supposed to automatically raise from EE to Aero mode or Normal mode - based upon which of those two ride-heights you last manually set it to (i.e., using the dash switch) after reaching 15 MPH. I haven't noticed whether my truck's suspension gets stuck in EE mode only when using the key fob, and there is nothing in the owners manual that states it should. Service Manager at my dealer said he's seen other truck's 4-corner air suspension fail in this manner as well. Ride quality is horrible in this mode. My dealer said FCA currently offers no fix yet available for this fault.

Correct. No fix as of yet except to hit the toggle to raise the suspension.

A previous poster mentioned that the truck shouldn't be driven in EE mode because the geometry is wrong and it'll create bad wear patterns on the tires.

I use my key fob and the toggle almost every day to put the truck in EE mode (bad knees), and so far it hasn't failed when using the toggle to lower - it only fails after using the key fob, and it's not 100% of the time that it fails.

I am not concerned about it and will just use the toggle switch to raise the truck if it doesn't do it automatically. Coincidentally, my automatic parking brake doesn't always release either, but that's just pushing another button to release, so no big deal.

-John

BigHorn-SV

Reaction score
Correct. No fix as of yet except to hit the toggle to raise the suspension.

A previous poster mentioned that the truck shouldn't be driven in EE mode because the geometry is wrong and it'll create bad wear patterns on the tires.

I use my key fob and the toggle almost every day to put the truck in EE mode (bad knees), and so far it hasn't failed when using the toggle to lower - it only fails after using the key fob, and it's not 100% of the time that it fails.

I am not concerned about it and will just use the toggle switch to raise the truck if it doesn't do it automatically. Coincidentally, my automatic parking brake doesn't always release either, but that's just pushing another button to release, so no big deal.

-John
I chose air suspension to ease loading motorcycles into the bed. It also helped our access into the truck too, but we don't need it now that I had AMP power running boards installed, In fact, now keep truck in NORMAL mode, as when parked the running boards will contact curb in EE or AERO.

Interesting point about the truck failing to exit EE mode only when using the fob. I'll try to see if mine does same. Yeah, I can flip a switch - it's easy once to do I notice that it hasn't raised. However, I hate the fact that I spend $50k for a truck and it doesn't function the way it was designed and intended 100% of the time.

Only time it seems that my automatic parking brake fails to release, is when my seatbelt isn't attached BEFORE the truck is started.

DraKhen99

Reaction score
I chose air suspension to ease loading motorcycles into the bed. It also helped our access into the truck too, but we don't need it now that I had AMP power running boards installed, In fact, now keep truck in NORMAL mode, as when parked the running boards will contact curb in EE or AERO.

Interesting point about the truck failing to exit EE mode only when using the fob. I'll try to see if mine does same. Yeah, I can flip a switch - it's easy once to do I notice that it hasn't raised. However, I hate the fact that I spend $50k for a truck and it doesn't function the way it was designed and intended 100% of the time.

Only time it seems that my automatic parking brake fails to release, is when my seatbelt isn't attached BEFORE the truck is started.

I'll have to pay attention next time I get in to make sure my seatbelt is fastened before I start the truck, thanks!

As for the air suspension, after coming from one truck where the touch screen went funky, the rear slider broke in the closed position, and the sunroof broke in the tilted-up position, and then another truck that had vibrations and grinding noises for 34k+ miles, I can live with having to push a toggle button now and again, even if it stickered at $70k. Being a software engineer, I understand intermittent bugs and they don't bother me, so long as I have a workaround for them :D

Considering your loading of motorcycles - one of my bikes is 9' long and weighs almost 900lbs, so with a 5.5' bed on this truck and my last one, I wasn't getting a motorcycle into the truck. I bought a 7x14 enclosed trailer to haul them - and tomorrow may be my first time towing with the new truck! Exciting times :D

It's very interesting that the AMP power steps would hit the curb in Aero or EE... I don't park close enough to a curb for the factory running boards to hit, but thanks for the heads-up! As low as they are in EE mode, I bet the factory ones would hit too.

-John

Lize

Reaction score
Just checking this thread as mine doesn't automatically go up as I thought it would. I set off and thought it bouncy and realised it was still in entry height so toggled the switch to raise. It does lower to aero at speed from normal but doesn't raise from entry or aero on its own. I'm happy with this as I think being able to run in entry mode for a short period could be reassuring in low car parks and under barriers :)

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Usually you're moving slow enough to stay in entry/exit in a low clearance parking garage. I did it a few weeks ago.

DraKhen99

Reaction score
Just checking this thread as mine doesn't automatically go up as I thought it would. I set off and thought it bouncy and realised it was still in entry height so toggled the switch to raise. It does lower to aero at speed from normal but doesn't raise from entry or aero on its own. I'm happy with this as I think being able to run in entry mode for a short period could be reassuring in low car parks and under barriers :)

1500 miles later and mine still goofs once in a while - but only if I lower the air suspension using the key fob. If I use the toggle, it works properly 100% of the time. With the key fob, it's like 1/3rd of the time that it'll raise itself. I just go a hundred feet and hit the toggle up, or even when I first start the engine I'll raise the truck. No biggie.

-John

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used my key fob to lower my truck to E/E yesterday. This morning, I got in and drove to the gym, parked for a while, then to Chick-fil-a, then home. I saw 52 MPH on the speedo on the way to the gym (as my max that I saw). I was over 30 MPH for most of the 10 minute trip to the gym. Ditto for the 15 minute drive to CFA and then home. It stayed in E/E for the entire round trip.

I do believe it is what some of y'all have said. If you lower it to E/E with the key fob, it just stays there, no matter what.

Other observations:

- The Owner's Manual section on Air Suspension is wrong on several details.

- I can use the toggle to raise it up or lower it in 5 different positions. E/E, Aero, NRD, OR1, OR2. That all works fine (and seems to conflict with at least one post here that said you can't manually put it in Aero mode).

- Before having it "stick" in E/E, I had manually hit the toggle to put it in Aero mode. It has stayed in Aero mode at all times. When it was set to NRH, then it would go in and out of Aero mode at the appropriate speeds. I don't have running boards (yet), so having it stay in Aero mode makes it a little easier to get in and out. I wish there was an option to have it automatically lower to E/E any time you shut the truck off. Then I would leave it in NRH all the time. And maybe not feel a need to add running boards (and maybe that's why they don't have that feature?).

- It is pretty easy to hit that ride height toggle switch by accident. I've done it several times when putting my phone in or out of the wireless charging slot (and I've had my truck less than 2 weeks). I wonder if people who are saying their truck gets "stuck" in Aero mode are simply accidentally manually toggling it into Aero mode and then that's just where it stays. Maybe there's nothing wrong with the truck - it's just that the manual is wrong and dealership people don't know that it's working the way it's supposed to.

- I will probably mention it to my dealer at my first service, but if the only thing "wrong" with the air suspension is that it stays in E/E if you put it there using the key fob, I think I can live with it. :)

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, not that there was any doubt, but I took a picture of this today, so I can show it to my Service Writer later.

Sorry for the glare making the middle of the EVIC hard to read. But, if you look, you can see I have the Cruise Control set at 70 MPH, the truck is actually going 70, and the ride height is still at Entry/Exit. This is after previously putting it into E/E using the key fob. @RamCares: I don't know if you consider this a "bug" or not but it definitely does not match what the Owner's Manual says about how the Air Suspension is supposed to work.

Shortly after I took the picture, I came to a stop light. At the light, I double-tapped the dash toggle to raise it to NRH and that worked fine. When I got where I was going, I parked but before I turned the engine off, I double-tapped the dash toggle again to lower it back down to E/E. It finished lowering and I turned off the engine, got out, and had some lunch.

When I got back in the truck, it was, of course, still in E/E. I started driving and it was automatically raising itself back up to NRH by the time I was pulling out of the parking lot. And, it went in and out of Aero mode like it was supposed to during the drive home.

EntryExitStuck.jpg

Wildmanbill57

Reaction score
My 2019 Ram 1500 with only 937 miles on it has had the suspension stick in E/E mode 3 times already. Dealer can't find the problem. They claimed it was set aero height, which it was not, I always have it in NRH. From what I am reading this iss a common problem. When set to E/E with the fob it likes to fail to raise when it is suppose to. I also have an issue with a mushy brake pedal that they claim is normal. I guess I will have to bleed the brakes my self to prove them wrong. had the same brake problem on my 2005 Ram too till I bleed them myself after dealer pushed it off till warranty ran out.

DraKhen99

Reaction score
Mine functions the same way.

That's interesting. Did you accelerate quickly to a speed which would trigger Aero mode?

If I lower the truck while sitting in it, 100% of the time it returns to NRH when I hit 15mph, and then Aero somewhere north of 60mph.

I LOVE the air suspension for loading and unloading... used it on a family vacation and it was very helpful.

-John

Users who are viewing this thread