5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning performance

Ram4Lou

Reaction score
All "cooled/ventilated" seats are is a fan underneath projecting cabin temperature upwards thru little holes in the seats. If the cabin isn't cool, especially at floor level, you ain't getting "cooled" seats.

Are people thinking the seats have mini a/c's under them?> LOL
Actually, many car models use thermoelectric technology to cool the seats, instead of just a vent fan moving cabin air through the seats. I have owned several vehicles with this technology, including a 2009 Buick Enclave and a 2014 GMC Sierra Denali. The AC seats work way better that the regular ventilated seats and cool your butt and back almost instantly, instead of having to wait for the cabin temps to come down 😉

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
All "cooled/ventilated" seats are is a fan underneath projecting cabin temperature upwards thru little holes in the seats. If the cabin isn't cool, especially at floor level, you ain't getting "cooled" seats.

Are people thinking the seats have mini a/c's under them?> LOL
You are simply just incorrect. You think because Ram doesn't do it, it doesn't exist?
Actually, many car models use thermoelectric technology to cool the seats, instead of just a vet fan moving cabin air through the seats. I have owned several vehicles with this technology, including a 2009 Buick Enclave and a 2014 GMC Sierra Denali. The AC seats work way better that the regular ventilated seats and cool your butt and back almost instantly, instead of having to wait for the cabin temps to come down 😉
My wife's 2013 GMC Acadia Denali also has AC seats that actually work. They get colder before the cabin temp even starts to change especially because the cabin is huge on an Acadia.
When you turn on the seats you can even hear the compressor turning on (in the seat) and they work even if you have the windows open and the AC\vents off in the main system.

The ventilated seats in my 22 Ram are a joke but I can't really complain as they are not marketed as AC seats but ventilated seats. I just assumed they were AC seats because it's not new technology and the price of a Ram dwarfs most other manufactures, my fault for thinking price=quality

I wonder how hard it would be to swap out seats from a GMC and put them into a Ram, I bet they would be more comfortable then the ones that come in the Ram too.

U

User_3336

You are simply just incorrect. You think because Ram doesn't do it, it doesn't exist?
This is a RAM forum, and we were talking about ventilated/cooled seats IN A RAM. I have a RAM, I could care less if any other manufacturers have a/c units in their seats.

BNJMN

Reaction score
Now I just need to make a trip to harbor freight and find a pic of which line to clamp on the ecodiesel. Popped the hood and looked around, I see two right underneath the coolant bottle that appear to be on a route to/from the motor and behind the firewall. Just gotta figure which one it is. Both have that protective sheath.

U

User_3336

Now I just need to make a trip to harbor freight and find a pic of which line to clamp on the ecodiesel. Popped the hood and looked around, I see two right underneath the coolant bottle that appear to be on a route to/from the motor and behind the firewall. Just gotta figure which one it is. Both have that protective sheath.
This the diagram for the HEMI. Ecodiesel should look familiar. Its on the line that says OUT. CLAMP.jpeg

KcRay

Reaction score
Trace the hose to the fire wall heater core. I think on the diesel, the out hose from the water pump splits off and goes to the transmission. You may need to just pinch it off up by the heater core to be sure you are only restricting hot water to the heater core.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
All "cooled/ventilated" seats are is a fan underneath projecting cabin temperature upwards thru little holes in the seats.
This is a RAM forum, and we were talking about ventilated/cooled seats IN A RAM. I have a RAM, I could care less if any other manufacturers have a/c units in their seats.
People only talk about Rams on here? "all" seats means only Ram seats?
Do you even read what you type before you post it?

On other threads you keep talking about other truck manufactures, I guess only you're allow to refer to anything except Ram around here.

But go ahead and keep talking nonsense.

ALT_F13

Reaction score
When I was driving to Montana last week, the AC was barely able to cool down the cabin from 95 degrees outside to 76 degrees inside. Even in Max AC mode it wasn't blowing cool air.
I did some research and found this TSB. Basically, it means it is known problem and the whole AC unit needs to be replaced. TSB says that work takes 5 hours and requires a lot of efforts to be done. Looks like a very invasive procedure and I don't believe my local dealership will do it 100% right.
I think I will plan to do this later, maybe few months before basic warranty is out.

Attachments

• TSB RAM 1500 HVAC Poor Performance.pdf
    72.4 KB · Views: 30

Synergy26

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the TSB replacing the HVAC requires a larger amount of refrigerant than stock or is it the same?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the TSB replacing the HVAC requires a larger amount of refrigerant than stock or is it the same?
wouldn’t think it would be much different. The redesign was put in 21+ models though. Maybe you can check one of those to see if the capacity is different

GARebel19

Reaction score
RamCares has helped me get another appointment with my dealer for next week for the a/c issue. My dealer noted an 8 degree difference in my vents in May and ordered all the parts. Long story short they have not been willing to do the repair since the parts came in and next week they have only agreed to diagnose the problem again. Which I'm worried is code to now say nothing is wrong with it and we were wrong the first time.

U

User_3336

RamCares has helped me get another appointment with my dealer for next week for the a/c issue. My dealer noted an 8 degree difference in my vents in May and ordered all the parts. Long story short they have not been willing to do the repair since the parts came in and next week they have only agreed to diagnose the problem again. Which I'm worried is code to now say nothing is wrong with it and we were wrong the first time.
I'd go to another dealer. sounds like they don't want to attempt, and will probably f*** it up trying.

GARebel19

Reaction score
I don't disagree. There are only 2 dealers within 20 miles of me and this is the further one. I went to the other for a the leaking 3rd brake light and they were also unimpressive. At this point I would be happy if this dealer would even try to complete the TSB. The fact that they want to re-diagnose one side blowing warmer then another tells me they have no intention of doing the TSB. I'm also kind of screwed because my bumper to bumper ended in June. This dealer noted the temperature difference and agreed to do the TSB before then but another dealer I doubt will do warranty work based on their findings

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't disagree. There are only 2 dealers within 20 miles of me and this is the further one. I went to the other for a the leaking 3rd brake light and they were also unimpressive. At this point I would be happy if this dealer would even try to complete the TSB. The fact that they want to re-diagnose one side blowing warmer then another tells me they have no intention of doing the TSB. I'm also kind of screwed because my bumper to bumper ended in June. This dealer noted the temperature difference and agreed to do the TSB before then but another dealer I doubt will do warranty work based on their findings
If RamCares has been involved, and they agree to approve warranty work, since it was documented issue prior to warranty running out, it shouldn't matter what dealer you take it to. As long as they get paid

GARebel19

Reaction score
I don't know that they agreed to all that. They helped me get another appointment at the dealer after they stopped responding to me. I thought that the next appointment was for the TSB but I find out today they want to diagnose it again so now I don't know what they are planning.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don't know that they agreed to all that. They helped me get another appointment at the dealer after they stopped responding to me. I thought that the next appointment was for the TSB but I find out today they want to diagnose it again so now I don't know what they are planning.
Did you print the TSB and bring it with you?

Terrible_One

Reaction score
70 pages of ****ty AC should be more than a TSB, but since it's not a "safety" issue there will never be a recall and we all have to deal with subpar A/C or fix it ourselves. I'm so sick of this truck always needing something...

Users who are viewing this thread