5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning performance

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Asked dealership to follow TSB 24-001-20 and fix the issue with poor AC performance. They did some measurements and couldn't find any issued to get authorization for 5 hours of work and a lot of new parts. It is 45 degrees outside, so yes, hard to say that AC performance is poor.
The problem is - when it finally will become hot outside and AC will be needed, my truck may be out of warranty...
You can't print out a TSB, take it to dealer and say "do this". That's not how TSBs work

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
You can't print out a TSB, take it to dealer and say "do this". That's not how TSBs work
That’s 100% what I did, and the dealer performed the TSB. it helps them diagnose the problem. If it weren’t for this forum, my ac would still be junk and I would have sold the truck by now

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That’s 100% what I did, and the dealer performed the TSB. it helps them diagnose the problem. If it weren’t for this forum, my ac would still be junk and I would have sold the truck by now
That's the point of TSBs, to help the techs diagnose the problem. But, if your symptoms do not match anything on the TSB, or the troubleshooting steps don't detect and issues they can't just go in and do the repair called out in the TSB. Unless you want to pay out of pocket for it. And any decent tech should be looking for TSBs anyways

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Asked dealership to follow TSB 24-001-20 and fix the issue with poor AC performance. They did some measurements and couldn't find any issued to get authorization for 5 hours of work and a lot of new parts. It is 45 degrees outside, so yes, hard to say that AC performance is poor.
The problem is - when it finally will become hot outside and AC will be needed, my truck may be out of warranty...
save yourself the aggravation....just get the Harbor Freight hose clamp set, and clamp the ac line. You'll have to drive wearing a sweater after that! takes less than 5 minutes. Take clamp off in winter, on in summer.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
That's the point of TSBs, to help the techs diagnose the problem. But, if your symptoms do not match anything on the TSB, or the troubleshooting steps don't detect and issues they can't just go in and do the repair called out in the TSB. Unless you want to pay out of pocket for it. And any decent tech should be looking for TSBs anyways
I'm sure they wouldn't have done it if the symptoms didn't match. But it helped to inform them that there is one, so they didn't just add a little freon and say they fixed it, or something dumb like that.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure they wouldn't have done it if the symptoms didn't match. But it helped to inform them that there is one, so they didn't just add a little freon and say they fixed it, or something dumb like that.
I'm just saying you can't walk in with a TSB and expect the dealer to perform the repairs called out in TSB because you think there might be a problem. ALT-F13 basically did that. With it being winter, there is really no way to verify poor A/C performance.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got denied the first time I complained about poor ac performance. The next time I went in armed with a printout of the TSB and they took care of it.

Littlejoe81

Reaction score
I feel the ac system is a fatal design flaw with Ram and they dropped the ball because it lacks performance, too many people complain. People with the sliding moon roof suffer more because the roof acts as a heat sink on the glass and makes the problem worse. Like trying to kill ants with a magnifying glass when you were a kid.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I feel the ac system is a fatal design flaw with Ram and they dropped the ball because it lacks performance, too many people complain. People with the sliding moon roof suffer more because the roof acts as a heat sink on the glass and makes the problem worse. Like trying to kill ants with a magnifying glass when you were a kid.
The problem with the sun roof is because they did not use the proper material on the fabric cover.
They should of used a heat absorbinet material so when it's covered it doesn't let everything in. Instead it's a cover thinner then paper that has millions of holes in it so it doesn't even stop the sun from coming through.

Littlejoe81

Reaction score
H
The problem with the sun roof is because they did not use the proper material on the fabric cover.
They should of used a heat absorbinet material so when it's covered it doesn't let everything in. Instead it's a cover thinner then paper that has millions of holes in it so it doesn't even stop the sun from coming through.

Great to know thanks, I don't have a sunroof. I hope Ram is listening to this input.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Zero issues with A/C performance in my 2020 with panoramic sunroof. Set have controls to Auto and 68 degrees and am very comfortable driving

thebigalboski

Reaction score
Has this been addressed in the newer trucks. This was my biggest complaint about my 19. Looking at a 22 and wondering if they ever fixed it.

NHRoadking

Reaction score
If you look at the TSB that is posted above this post, ( I read it, just to learn) they redesigned the system in July 2020.
I looked at the TSB.

Can anyone describe what the big changes were from 2020 on?

Users who are viewing this thread