5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning performance

Ilya23

Reaction score
Been sitting in my truck with it running for over an hour trying to cool it down enough so CarPlay will turn on. Outside Temp is 99. Truck thinks it is 129 degrees. Vents are around 60ish. Lowest I could get it to read is 58°. I hate this truck.

89593c13950ea84fb04c2c67baae9d55.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Use circulation inside cabin that way you can get lower temperatures. From that pic I see your intake from outside

Synergy26

Reaction score
I'm happy to report I got the TSB done and I'm glad I did. The dealer gave me some push back, but I told them to make it happen. I was a little worried because none of the "advisors" really knew what I was talking about and they didn't know if they had performed the TSB before. They said they would put their most experienced tech on it so I rolled the dice. The dash looks fine and there are no new rattles or sounds. The temperatures are lower for sure and because of the advice of this thread I picked up a K&N cabin filter, which seemed to increase air flow. All in all I'm happy, over 100* in Phx and for the first time in 3 summers I'm having to turn the fan speed down to 4-5 on longer drives. Worth the risk.
What is you center left vent temp?

Av1

Reaction score
I know there have been issues with the RAM A/C system, so I'll give the following recommendation assuming everything is working properly:

After then interior temperature drops below the outside ambient temperature, switch over to RECIRC.

The reason for this is that your temperature split between the air intake and vent output stays the about the same. So, if you switch over to RECIRC the intake temperature gets progressively cooler and as a result the vent output temperature gets cooler. If you leave the AC set to the outside air intake, the interior vent temp always stays the same. It takes MUCH longer to cool the vehicle leaving it set to outside air after the interior temp is below outside ambient temp.

I am MACS certified. That doesn't mean much, but I only mention it to show I have a little experience in the advice I'm giving.

Good luck.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Any properly functioning AC should be able to hit the green.
How long should it take to hit the green of my truck was in the sun all day, after also driving in direct sunlight? My commute is about 25 min.

BNJMN

Reaction score
Mid 80s and my truck puts out 52 degree air, compared to wifes' kia which gets to 42 degree air within a minute. Not good enough to keep the cab comfortable; I don't know how anyone in a hot state manages. Had my truck in for first service today and was told it's normal, they tested it and it is within spec. Makes no sense at all!

morris08

Reaction score
I've had my 1500 for almost 3 months now and have been pretty disappointed in the A/C and "ventilated" seats. Granted I'm in Houston and we've been getting 5-6 days in a row of 102-103.... But I am coming from driving a 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium for the past 8 years... black on black and it was waaaay colder A/C and the "cooled" seats were ice cold too! When I turn my Ram's seats on, i can barely feel it, and it's not cold at all... I guess they truly are just "ventilated" seats though. Why couldn't they have installed "cooled" seats! aaarrrggghhh!

oh, and by the way, I have full Luxor ceramic on all windows/windshield.

Last edited:

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
FCA kinda missed the boat on the hvac compared to other manufacturers. Still good enough for me since the TSB

Bigbags85

Reaction score
I'd say mine performs adequately but not great. When it's up in the 80s-90s I think it'd be uncomfortable without the seats on. My 11 Maxima easily destroys this A/C wise although I think the seats on the RAM perform slightly better. The RAM windshield also lets in a lot of heat.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Its because they picked 1234yf refrigerant for CAFE credits. R134a is 30% more efficient and also 100% compatible while being 8% of the cost of 1234yf as well.

If you ever have to open the system you may as well replace the fittings and put 134a in.

"The R-1234yf CAFE credits are 13.8 g/mi for cars, 17.2 g/mi for trucks. (GWP, a metric used by environmental regulatory agencies worldwide, is a measure of how much a given mass of a gas contributes to global warming. It is a relative scale which compares the amount of heat trapped by greenhouse gas to the amount of heat trapped in an equal mass of CO2. The GWP of CO2 is by definition 1.)

The value of storing CAFE credits for a low GWP refrigerant enticed Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) into beginning its changeover in 2014MY. General Motors has had just one entry in that period, the Cadillac XTS, but GM will be virtually across the board by the end of this year. Ford reportedly will begin its changeover in April with the Escape, but no details of its rollout are available. Sending vehicles with either refrigerant down the same assembly line is not a difficult process.

Warranty payments

The "street retail" price of R-1234yf—over $100 lb/ $220 kg has reportedly dropped slightly for volume buyers, and there are internet advertisements (of unknown validity) for as low as $72.50 lb ($160 kg). However, that's still much higher than the typical $3 lb/$6.60 kg for R-134a.

FCA's list price for R-1234yf is per ounce—because its dealers are instructed to bill the factory only for the additional amount (total refrigerant charge at the conclusion of the repair, less amount recovered from the vehicle system at the start). The recovery/recycle/recharge machines have a charge accuracy of ±1 oz and print out the amount added; the printout must be attached to a warranty claim."

BNJMN

Reaction score
I don't see where that TSB applies to 2022's. If it does I should mention it to my dealer.

Synergy26

Reaction score
Its because they picked 1234yf refrigerant for CAFE credits. R134a is 30% more efficient and also 100% compatible while being 8% of the cost of 1234yf as well.

If you ever have to open the system you may as well replace the fittings and put 134a in.

"The R-1234yf CAFE credits are 13.8 g/mi for cars, 17.2 g/mi for trucks. (GWP, a metric used by environmental regulatory agencies worldwide, is a measure of how much a given mass of a gas contributes to global warming. It is a relative scale which compares the amount of heat trapped by greenhouse gas to the amount of heat trapped in an equal mass of CO2. The GWP of CO2 is by definition 1.)

The value of storing CAFE credits for a low GWP refrigerant enticed Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) into beginning its changeover in 2014MY. General Motors has had just one entry in that period, the Cadillac XTS, but GM will be virtually across the board by the end of this year. Ford reportedly will begin its changeover in April with the Escape, but no details of its rollout are available. Sending vehicles with either refrigerant down the same assembly line is not a difficult process.

Warranty payments

The "street retail" price of R-1234yf—over $100 lb/ $220 kg has reportedly dropped slightly for volume buyers, and there are internet advertisements (of unknown validity) for as low as $72.50 lb ($160 kg). However, that's still much higher than the typical $3 lb/$6.60 kg for R-134a.

FCA's list price for R-1234yf is per ounce—because its dealers are instructed to bill the factory only for the additional amount (total refrigerant charge at the conclusion of the repair, less amount recovered from the vehicle system at the start). The recovery/recycle/recharge machines have a charge accuracy of ±1 oz and print out the amount added; the printout must be attached to a warranty claim."
Know anyone that has replaced with r134a? I'm wondering if the temps would drop

Users who are viewing this thread