5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning performance

CaptLiteBeerd

Reaction score
So i bought the amazon AC vent temp gauge. I calibrated it to show 0*C when in a cup of water and ice. This morning it was 79*F outside on my way to work. 10min drive the temp got down to 48*F. I think this was fine though I thought it would be colder as the outside temps weren't that high. Let's see what the temp is driving home today after being parked in the sun. Should be about 87* in Charlotte this afternoon. Will report back with my findings

ktl5005

Reaction score
Why not post your vent temps for reference then? :sneaky:
405BDDDD-038E-4A4A-B201-7A9C61686B77.jpeg 6A7BD4D7-2860-4A4E-90CC-51D439CEE511.jpeg
Driving to work this morning. 68 degrees and per weather app, 92% humidity. Fan speed 1, A/C, set on upper and lower vents. First picture drivers side, about 46-48 degrees. Second picture passenger side, about 42-44 degrees.
Just for reference my wife’s Durango last night got 45 degrees....
Again, not everyone has a problem.

parnine

Reaction score
Again, not everyone has a problem.
First off, per your measurements, and the FCA specifications, you DO have a Problem - your truck is not meeting the specs (of course I doubt you actually followed the troubleshooting process) as your ambient air temp of 68 (less than 70 so no need for humidity consideration) your vent temp above 45 - it should be 45 or less.

But we all know that you don't have a 'problem' because for you, the specs, and how your truck performs, are 'okay', you don't need any measurements as you've stated. However, for many the actual performance and the performance specifications are NOT 'okay' so that is the problem. FCA is on record that form most the AC performance of these trucks is NOT a 'problem' because it is within design specifications - it is working as designed LOL.

Why are you so intent on proving to others on this forum that you 'don't have a problem' ? (just asking to give you an excuse to continue to junk up this thread with more posts, shoot you've even got me doing it by responding to you with this post LOL, not to mention this thread has added virtually nothing to the previous times this subject has been addresses in other threads, gota love internet forums :) )

1591369694754.png
1591369821328.png

ktl5005

Reaction score
First off, per your measurements, and the FCA specifications, you DO have a Problem - your truck is not meeting the specs (of course I doubt you actually followed the troubleshooting process) as your ambient air temp of 68 (less than 70 so no need for humidity consideration) your vent temp above 45 - it should be 45 or less.

But we all know that you don't have a 'problem' because for you, the specs, and how your truck performs, are 'okay', you don't need any measurements as you've stated. However, for many the actual performance and the performance specifications are NOT 'okay' so that is the problem. FCA is on record that form most the AC performance of these trucks is NOT a 'problem' because it is within design specifications - it is working as designed LOL.

Why are you so intent on proving to others on this forum that you 'don't have a problem' ? (just asking to give you an excuse to continue to junk up this thread with more posts, shoot you've even got me doing it by responding to you with this post LOL, not to mention this thread has added virtually nothing to the previous times this subject has been addresses in other threads, gota love internet forums :) )

View attachment 58181
View attachment 58182
So even at 70 degrees the temp at the central panel is spot on with that picture you posted lol. 42-44ish passenger, 45-46 ish driver. Lol it’s spot on

parnine

Reaction score
So even at 70 degrees the temp at the central panel is spot on with that picture you posted lol. 42-44ish passenger, 45-46 ish driver. Lol it’s spot on
You will always be right :) - and happy! Stay safe and enjoy your truck.

CaptLiteBeerd

Reaction score
So i bought the amazon AC vent temp gauge. I calibrated it to show 0*C when in a cup of water and ice. This morning it was 79*F outside on my way to work. 10min drive the temp got down to 48*F. I think this was fine though I thought it would be colder as the outside temps weren't that high. Let's see what the temp is driving home today after being parked in the sun. Should be about 87* in Charlotte this afternoon. Will report back with my findings

On my drive home yesterday. Truck was sitting in 90*F sun. The truck said it was 109* out but slowly came down to about 95*. The first 10 minutes with max AC, the coldest the vent got was to 60*F, after about a 10-15 min drive on the highway at 70MPH, the temp got down to 10*C roughly 50*F. I think that the system is "working normal" however when getting into a vehicle and the air is coming out rather warm, it does not feel pleasant! I made appointment with service dept to check out the Freon levels and check the systems because it seems to work better when driving on interstate vs idling/around town traffic.

When i set the temp to Lo it feels identical to the same temp being set at 70*F in climate controls. When I hit MAX AC, it turns off the A/C button light and the recirc light goes off. When i move it up a notch from Lo, or off max ac, the lights come back on? I would think that the AC light would stay on and it would activate the recirculate to accomplish max AC.

I also noticed that my coolant temp sensor shows the truck running on the cold side. It never appears to get up to full operating temperature (looking at the gauge the needle is noticeable to the left of where a normal car would operate). I checked the dash and the coolant temp was 203*F. I'm not sure but it seems like the truck is letting off too much heat in the heater core which is causing the AC temps to be warmer than desired. I hope it's an issue with the blend door not fully closing and separating the hot/cold sections of the heater core.

ac1dd

Reaction score

Indeed, but in FCA case the systems have design defects and or failures, especially since those with inferior cooling performance can hack their heater core to take it out of the loop and get 40 F temps at 95 F and 50% humidity ambient. I tend to agree that the problems lie in the blend door design failures and or possible heat radiating from the main media screen in the center console.

FCA really needs to good will repairs on those vehicles where it is very obvious failures and faults and the customer makes repeated complaints. I would urge them to do that at the very least on the QT since they are really burning their bridges with many customers now, and they will never return or recommend RAM to others.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not sure it's as simple as blend door design, I think it's more in the logic and software. 90% of the time, mine is fine, 5% of the time it will freeze me or my passenger to the point of having to turn fan speed down to low and adjust temps off of low, and 5% of the time I feel it's not cooling very well. The system itself isn't very consistent. I typically have it on Auto and Low and let it do whatever it does. Spring to fall down here is stupid hot & humid most days. Right now we are reaching peak HAF, rain every day, sweating in the shade just standing still sauna-like conditions.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My dealer thinks 58 degrees is what the air is supposed to be at the vent.
The 58 degrees would be within spec IF the outside temperature was over 100 degrees F. Was it?

Even at 100 degrees the vent outlet temp should be 55 degrees.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 035551 miles.

U

User_3336

Not understanding the question, but, its an a/c thermometer showing the TEMP coming out of the VENT, and it was taken using my cell phone. It was 90 degrees that day, not very humid. this was after about 20 minutes of driving. This was about 11:45am.

This is totally unrelated, but how or what were you using to take the pictures?

regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 035551 miles.

Jim64

Reaction score
I'm not sure it's as simple as blend door design, I think it's more in the logic and software. 90% of the time, mine is fine, 5% of the time it will freeze me or my passenger to the point of having to turn fan speed down to low and adjust temps off of low, and 5% of the time I feel it's not cooling very well. The system itself isn't very consistent. I typically have it on Auto and Low and let it do whatever it does. Spring to fall down here is stupid hot & humid most days. Right now we are reaching peak HAF, rain every day, sweating in the shade just standing still sauna-like conditions.
I agree with you 100% that’s exactly the way ac does.

Users who are viewing this thread