5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning performance

dmodem

Reaction score
What Zeronet said. Just do it and enjoy your truck.
So installing an $8 hose clamp on a $65k truck as a fix when the manufacturer won't remedy or acknowledge an issue, is like saying "although the driver's door won't stay closed at 60 mph+, a strip of duct tape will take care of your concern. " Enjoy your truck and let FCA slide.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So installing an $8 hose clamp on a $65k truck as a fix when the manufacturer won't remedy or acknowledge an issue, is like saying "although the driver's door won't stay closed at 60 mph+, a strip of duct tape will take care of your concern. " Enjoy your truck and let FCA slide.

True, but you gotta do what you gotta do as @RamCares obviously is ignoring this issue.

KcRay

Reaction score
Way different than a door not staying closed. Let's say you like your truck to be louder, so you put on, or take off a muffler. This is not a safety thing. Many thousands of people are absolutely fine with the way the AC cools. Feeling cool is subjective and very personal. This can be a big deal if you make it such, or you can fix it the way you like it, and move with your life and leave this this one behind.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it makes you feel better just tell yourself that the hack is just a temporary fix until FCA addresses the issue. I seriously doubt they ever will though.

The inadequate AC had been my one disappointment with this truck. With the valve installed it’s just a distant memory and my satisfaction with the truck is very high. My happiness and comfort were more than worth the 15 minutes and $20 it took to resolve.

broman66

Reaction score
I bought in March and it hasn't gotten hot and humid enough to notice, but I will definitely keep an eye on it.
It would be a total bummer if the A/C is sub-par.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So does the HF clamp idea damage the line if left on? I can see a proper valve working better, I’m no “wrencher” but just thinking of a garden hose or a radiator/cooling hose, if you clamp it closed wouldn’t that degrade/damage the hose walls?

Jack Whitefield

Reaction score

It is pretty obvious at this point, that FCA does not have an answer, and cannot fix the HVAC issues that are plaguing 5th gens. Therefore, for the unlucky owners that have a crappy AC, there's really only two solutions.

1. AC hack
2. Sell the truck

If you like the truck, do the AC hack and live with it.

KcRay

Reaction score
So does the HF clamp idea damage the line if left on? I can see a proper valve working better, I’m no “wrencher” but just thinking of a garden hose or a radiator/cooling hose, if you clamp it closed wouldn’t that degrade/damage the hose walls?
You are correct, the clamps are only meant to hold back the fluid for a short time, while a mechanic works on whatever they needed to remove.

Scram1500

Reaction score
How buried in the dash is the blend door? I'd like to see it in action, maybe get in there with a borescope. The reason FCA won't fix this problem is the repair most likely requires dash removal which is time consuming and a small fortune. Also the dash rarely goes back in without something else going wrong or breaking

Jack Whitefield

Reaction score
How buried in the dash is the blend door? I'd like to see it in action, maybe get in there with a borescope. The reason FCA won't fix this problem is the repair most likely requires dash removal which is time consuming and a small fortune. Also the dash rarely goes back in without something else going wrong or breaking
You're absolutely right. Getting access to the HVAC box requires tearing the dash apart. To my knowledge, only one dealer has attempted the procedure, and they trashed board member Albert193500's new truck. Plus, he said his AC was still messed up, when he got his truck back. He never did post a follow up, as to whether he got any resolution to his problems. His story is in the link below.

JimD007

Reaction score
Even if the blend door seals completely you still have a bunch of hot coolant very close to air you are cooling. There isn't a super insulator separating the cooling from the heating portion of the system. If you remove the heat source the AC will work better.

I bought my truck in December and haven't used the AC much, it has been cool here. I picked up the parts, however, and will put them in tonight or tomorrow after the truck cools off. It might be OK for me without the change but will be better with it.

My truck had a crummy radio because it is a base model. I put in what I wanted at far lower cost than through the dealer. To get what you want it is pretty normal to have to make a few changes.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Feel free to try and get FCA to fix it for you. They want even acknowledge that there is a problem. Maybe you can convince them where many others have failed.

dmodem

Reaction score
Way different than a door not staying closed. Let's say you like your truck to be louder, so you put on, or take off a muffler. This is not a safety thing. Many thousands of people are absolutely fine with the way the AC cools. Feeling cool is subjective and very personal. This can be a big deal if you make it such, or you can fix it the way you like it, and move with your life and leave this this one behind.
My '19 Limited was blowing between 68-72 degrees last summer during the 90 degree days. Opened a Ram case, and the dealer opened a Star case. Both agreed there was something wron, and the compressor, temp. sensor, and refrigerant were all replaced. Guess what happened on the 20 minute ride home after the dealer said it was fixed? Correct. Warm temps from the vents, but since the summer temps were done at that point, the cases were closed until I can replicate the problem. Guess where it's going come June/July? Correct back in for the same issue.

dmodem

Reaction score
Feel free to try and get FCA to fix it for you. They want even acknowledge that there is a problem. Maybe you can convince them where many others have failed.
What will be ridiculous is if FCA drags their feet on a fix until many owners install the hack and then say they won't cover eventual recall repairs because the system was altered.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My '19 Limited was blowing between 68-72 degrees last summer during the 90 degree days. Opened a Ram case, and the dealer opened a Star case. Both agreed there was something wron, and the compressor, temp. sensor, and refrigerant were all replaced. Guess what happened on the 20 minute ride home after the dealer said it was fixed? Correct. Warm temps from the vents, but since the summer temps were done at that point, the cases were closed until I can replicate the problem. Guess where it's going come June/July? Correct back in for the same issue.
Let us know if they fix it for you. Blowing 68-72 degrees doesn’t sound like the issue a lot us have been dealing with. Most of us were getting cooler air out the vents than you were getting, with the coolest air coming out the front, passenger side vent.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe. I thought about this but I don't think it would. I didn't clamp mine completely shut. Still a little bit of flow for proper HVAC function and to keep coolant circulating through the core, so the clamp process was just a one-and-done. I think if you clamped it over and over eventually you might stress the hose too much. But just sitting there? I think it'd be fine. Worst case scenario the hose cracks or blows where the clamp is - you cut the bad bit of hose out and install a valve or just replace the hose. People have had valves fail too.

DraKhen99

Reaction score
Life is all about perspective, right?

Is anyone else coming from a 2015+ F-150, like me? If so, you probably experienced the dreaded door latch issues - to which weak A/C pales in comparison! Sounds like FCA is taking a page out of Ford's playbook when it comes to these climate-dependent issues.

Imagine being handicapped and not able to get into and out of your truck easily when temps are low? I'll take a slightly sweaty ride every day of the week over the door latches not working properly, if at all.

That said, my truck's A/C is weak - definitely not as cold as the other vehicles I ride/drive in. I'd like it to be better, but I'm fortunate enough to have the ventilated seats, which help a lot.

-John

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Life is all about perspective, right?

Is anyone else coming from a 2015+ F-150, like me? If so, you probably experienced the dreaded door latch issues - to which weak A/C pales in comparison! Sounds like FCA is taking a page out of Ford's playbook when it comes to these climate-dependent issues.

Imagine being handicapped and not able to get into and out of your truck easily when temps are low? I'll take a slightly sweaty ride every day of the week over the door latches not working properly, if at all.

That said, my truck's A/C is weak - definitely not as cold as the other vehicles I ride/drive in. I'd like it to be better, but I'm fortunate enough to have the ventilated seats, which help a lot.

-John
Or the Ferd cooled seat fiasco...

DraKhen99

Reaction score
Or the Ferd cooled seat fiasco...

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one! That plagued my truck too, until I installed the SeatGuru fix. Then there's the IWE issues, which also showed up on my truck - repeatedly.

-John

Users who are viewing this thread