5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning performance

Magredvet

Reaction score
Its just so ridiculous that this has to be an option for us!
Yup, and I for one am going to be extremely displeased if I have to do a work around to get my $56k truck to be cool enough in a Texas summer. It's about to get HOT here, so we will see what happens.......
Surely someone at FCA can step up to the plate and find a solution for southern owners ? This attitude that it is within spec, even though there's obviously an issue, was what drove me away from Chevrolet in the late 90's.......

chalin

Reaction score
Yup, and I for one am going to be extremely displeased if I have to do a work around to get my $56k truck to be cool enough in a Texas summer. It's about to get HOT here, so we will see what happens.......
Surely someone at FCA can step up to the plate and find a solution for southern owners ? This attitude that it is within spec, even though there's obviously an issue, was what drove me away from Chevrolet in the late 90's.......
Guys - would it help to start a list of VINs with this problem? Make a central location where you can enter your VIN if you have this problem? We might start to see more and more as the summer gets going. An ever growing list of VINs might be something Chrysler would pay attention to.

Ickabod

Reaction score
Do we know if these are "in stock" at HF or an online order thing?
It was 98 here yesterday and my A/C was sucking pretty bad. Been following along and this looks like an easy remedy.
They were in-stock at my local HF.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Well, I kinda have good and bad news. I went and picked up these clamps and did some testing with a vent thermometer.
I really can't tell any difference. I don't think my truck is suffering quite as badly as others. I am able to get down to about 42 degrees with and without the hose clamped off.

I think my issue is just with the radiant heat coming off all the windows and pano sunroof. I am going to get ceramic tint installed and that will probably resolve my issue. The air from my vents seems fine at this point. I think the pano roof is the big heat generator at this point and certainly doesn't help.

KcRay

Reaction score
Well, I kinda have good and bad news. I went and picked up these clamps and did some testing with a vent thermometer.
I really can't tell any difference. I don't think my truck is suffering quite as badly as others. I am able to get down to about 42 degrees with and without the hose clamped off.

I think my issue is just with the radiant heat coming off all the windows and pano sunroof. I am going to get ceramic tint installed and that will probably resolve my issue. The air from my vents seems fine at this point. I think the pano roof is the big heat generator at this point and certainly doesn't help.
That is interesting, you are fairly sure that clamp is stopping all water flow, and on the correct hose?
Thanks for the effort and the update.

Sbroussard69

Reaction score
The cold producing freon part of AC is probably fine and if you search these various AC threads from the last few days you can see we recently figured out that the heater core is "leaking" heat into the airstream and diluting the cold air from evaporator. Member KcRay put a $15 valve on heater hose that supplies coolant to heater core next to water pump and vent temps plunged to 36-40 degree range when he closed valve! Possibly there is a blend door that controls mix of heat and cold that isn't closing off heat when we need full cooling. At least you can add the valve to get you through summer heat until Ram comes up with official fix. Hope this cools you down some. We are all pi$$ed about dealers blowing us off over issues!!!!
Take to Twitter, Facebook!

Rototerrier

Reaction score
That is interesting, you are fairly sure that clamp is stopping all water flow, and on the correct hose?
Thanks for the effort and the update.

100% sure. I had no heat... Just cold. Removed clamp, got heat back. Definitely got the right hose and expected behaviour. I was hoping to get below 40 but it just wouldn't go. But it was 98 degrees out. I might try again on a cooler day to see if it goes lower.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
100% sure. I had no heat... Just cold. Removed clamp, got heat back. Definitely got the right hose and expected behaviour. I was hoping to get below 40 but it just wouldn't go. But it was 98 degrees out. I might try again on a cooler day to see if it goes lower.
With the outside ambient temp at 98 degrees, getting 58 degree colder air (40 degrees!) out of dash vents is pretty great when you read what most members are measuring. Maybe AC pros can chime in but my understanding is there is a "delta" difference between ambient outside temp and evaporator refrigerated temp that limits how cold vents can get. And I have read others comments that the new freon formula R-1234yf isn't as efficient as earlier formulas (R-134a, R-12). I bet on a 80 degree day you will see 36-38 degrees. Nice info. Thanks for temp measurements! (y)

Last edited:

wayneli

Reaction score
I just did an experiment and do confirm there must be heat leak.

I turned off AC. Run fan only. Temp set to LO. Outside temperature is 75 degree. However, the driver vent temperature is 91 degree which should be 75 degree!

I am going to do same test on my other two cars to compare.

2wd

Reaction score
Can't speak for single zone climate, but for dual zone climate it likely appears to be a fault with the driver's side door in the HVAC that allows heat to bleed in. It's not closing fully. Driver's side for me is about 8-10 degrees warmer than passenger side. Passenger side I can get right around 45 degrees which is within spec according to the documentation posted earlier.

I will do another test with NO AC to confirm it's the heater door not closing fully on the driver's side. If true, I should still get temps 8-10 warmer on the driver's side with temp set to LO with no AC. This would rule out the AC system completely and likely leave the vent doors for heat not closing fully as the likely cause.

Finally, I will duplicate all of this testing on two other vehicles that also have dual zone climate.

Sbroussard69

Reaction score
Guys - would it help to start a list of VINs with this problem? Make a central location where you can enter your VIN if you have this problem? We might start to see more and more as the summer gets going. An ever growing list of VINs might be something Chrysler would pay attention to.
That is a really good idea! For starters here is mine:
1C6RREJT7KN683315

Also let us not forget social media! RAM has actually responded to me on Twitter; albeit with a “canned” response. I think the more heat we put on them the more apt they will be to come up with a solution.

chalin

Reaction score
That is a really good idea! For starters here is mine:
1C6RREJT7KN683315

Also let us not forget social media! RAM has actually responded to me on Twitter; albeit with a “canned” response. I think the more heat we put on them the more apt they will be to come up with a solution.
My VIN:
1C6SRFJT2KN695265
Not much of a etech guy, is there a central location where everyone could go to list theirs?

Gladiator77

Reaction score
If it didn't go below 40 it probably wont. Mine wont go below 40 even at 75 out... But 40 or 41 is good. I took the clamp off today and on the way home from work, an hour drive, it never got below 49. Stayed at 50 most of the time. And its 85 out today. Yesterday with clamped hose it was in the 90s out and it got to 41.

Sbroussard69

Reaction score
If it didn't go below 40 it probably wont. Mine wont go below 40 even at 75 out... But 40 or 41 is good. I took the clamp off today and on the way home from work, an hour drive, it never got below 49. Stayed at 50 most of the time. And its 85 out today. Yesterday with clamped hose it was in the 90s out and it got to 41.
I started a new thread. PLEASE help me pass it along.

Sbroussard69

Reaction score
I just did an experiment and do confirm there must be heat leak.

I turned off AC. Run fan only. Temp set to LO. Outside temperature is 75 degree. However, the driver vent temperature is 91 degree which should be 75 degree!

View attachment 26024

View attachment 26025

I am going to do same test on my other two cars to compare.
I started a new thread. Please pass it on.

Sbroussard69

Reaction score
The cold producing freon part of AC is probably fine and if you search these various AC threads from the last few days you can see we recently figured out that the heater core is "leaking" heat into the airstream and diluting the cold air from evaporator. Member KcRay put a $15 valve on heater hose that supplies coolant to heater core next to water pump and vent temps plunged to 36-40 degree range when he closed valve! Possibly there is a blend door that controls mix of heat and cold that isn't closing off heat when we need full cooling. At least you can add the valve to get you through summer heat until Ram comes up with official fix. Hope this cools you down some. We are all pi$$ed about dealers blowing us off over issues!!!!
I posted a new thread. Please pass it on.

BackAgain

Reaction score
Small comfort I guess knowing it's not just me. My 1500 Classic (V6) blows 'cool' almost immediately after sitting outside all day in San Antonio... but it never gets cold, and is largely ineffective for the 30 minute afternoon ride.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Small comfort I guess knowing it's not just me. My 1500 Classic (V6) blows 'cool' almost immediately after sitting outside all day in San Antonio... but it never gets cold, and is largely ineffective for the 30 minute afternoon ride.
I am sure many vehicles (I'm sure yours is different some from 5th gen) from many manufacturers can gain cooler AC by shutting off heater core. Just verify that engine has other coolant passage so it doesn't affect it for proper cooling. If so, can always put in "H" cross hose with valves to redirect from heater core without restricting coolant flow. Go get a probe thermometer (like checking if meat properly cooked on barbecue) and get some vent temps and then temporarily clamp (carefully) the "out" line from water pump to heater core and recheck your vent temps. You will be valve shopping in 30 seconds! LOL :cool:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread