5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning performance

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A characteristic of the vehicle is such an excuse, although I wouldn't be surprised if it's a design issue they can't fix without some modification that we see in the next model year. We don't need Facebook or Twitter, go get TFLTruck, Edmunds, Consumer Reports or another popular YouTuber bring up these issues and watch something happen!

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, I went to pick up my truck yesterday and had a discussion with the Service Manager who has been involved with the A/C issues.
He has had conversations with the Area Technician as well as with the Technical Assistance Factory representative for the Engineering group.
The area technician has noted that this is a problem but no fix. The response from the Factory rep for Engineering is "maybe characteristic of the vehicle".
Chrysler not taking ownership of the issue as it states "no related cases or concerns at this time." Attached is the response from the rep.
Think it's going to take a number of complaints at Factory level to make anything happen.
Someone that has well documented the individual vent temps with corresponding ambient temps should then bypass heater core by shutting off coolant flow and then document temps again to see if it truly is a blend door issue. If with no heater core thermal output, the two center vents now are equal temps, it will be an "AHA"moment! We will all have to shut down heater for the summer until FCA decides they "can't take the heat" anymore from the customers . LOL :eek::cry::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
*****good news***** I just received an email reply from Andre Smirnov of TFLtrucks. I asked if they had experienced poor AC cooling from their 2019 Rebel long term test truck. I pointed out that many members of "fifth gen ram" are seeing up to 8 degrees warmer drivers vents vs passenger vents. He replied that it hasn't been very warm yet but that they would look into it in coming weeks. :cool: Yeah! I explained dealers were not resolving problems and claim 60 degree vent temp "is normal" so maybe this will "turn the heat up" on FCA to figure it out. I still think pressuring a high level (and fat helps) manager in a suit coat to drive your truck after it has been parked in the hot sun on a hot day and pull out your digital thermometer and show him problem. After he melts into a puddle, perhaps he will agree with you that things aren't what they should be. (Don't heat stroke him as funerals are expensive!)(y):ROFLMAO::cry:;)o_O

Last edited:

I Love Grits

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Update to this thread. Member @KcRay put in a shut off valve & was able to get vent temps down 15*. See here:

Tag @James Cole

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here are more options to control heater core temperature from inside truck.....The Vintage Air $88 unit is electronically controlled with cab mounted (hid in glove box?) potentiometer knob for variable adjustment IMG_3038.jpg IMG_3037.jpg IMG_3034.jpg IMG_3033.jpg

chalin

Reaction score
Here are more options to control heater core temperature from inside truck.....The Vintage Air $88 unit is electronically controlled with cab mounted (hid in glove box?) potentiometer knob for variable adjustment View attachment 25723 View attachment 25724 View attachment 25725 View attachment 25726
You know, my truck has this problem. Less than 4000 miles. Personally I think it is inherit of the design. FCA engineers screwed up and won't admit it. I appreciate that with a modification you can get reasonable temps from the unit. But, why would you accept this to be the resolution on a 55 thousand dollar truck? This is not the fix, FCA needs to step up an admit they fu---- up and come up with an acceptable workable solution. To accept this as the norm perpetuates the thinking that as a manufacturer you can continue to put crap in the market and it will be accepted. Just like any PC I've ever owned. Rant. I'm po'd.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You know, my truck has this problem. Less than 4000 miles. Personally I think it is inherit of the design. FCA engineers screwed up and won't admit it. I appreciate that with a modification you can get reasonable temps from the unit. But, why would you accept this to be the resolution on a 55 thousand dollar truck? This is not the fix, FCA needs to step up an admit they fu---- up and come up with an acceptable workable solution. To accept this as the norm perpetuates the thinking that as a manufacturer you can continue to put crap in the market and it will be accepted. Just like any PC I've ever owned. Rant. I'm po'd.
You are absolutely right!!! This temporary band aid will at least get us through the summer until a proper fix is launched as a TSB. I am basically stirring the pot and getting attention from RamCares and TFLtruck as well as all the members here. Ram has built such a cool truck that they have to fix this as Ford and Chev/GMC will start showing ads for colder AC than Ram.

Gladiator77

Reaction score
61k sticker price and a 99 cent pair of Needle Nose Vise Grips to pinch the heater hose and now I have AC in Florida... SMH

I think with the all new redesign of the RAM truck and the lovely new 12 inch display they have a few too many software bugs that make it perfect. After all isn't it a digital door that isn't closing all the way?

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I’m going to take my truck in so they can check the A/C. I feel it performs but it needs to be a tad colder. Figured I’d have them check. Anything in particular I should say?

UltraMadMax

Reaction score
Did you ask about trouble codes?

Not necessarily. Temperatures up to 64*F are within spec if the apparent temperature is high enough.

View attachment 1572

Good luck cooling down a black truck, with a pano sunroof, in the middle of a 110* day if AC is only putting out 64*...
I have had my truck for almost a year and learned last year how to cool my black Limited in Tucson. I set my temperature to low on both sides and control the blower myself and it works great. This even works with temperatures north of 110.

Gladiator77

Reaction score
I have had my truck for almost a year and learned last year how to cool my black Limited in Tucson. I set my temperature to low on both sides and control the blower myself and it works great. This even works with temperatures north of 110.
Can you please explain in detail what you mean exactly?

Barqs

Reaction score
I was worried about A/C performance after reading so many complaints and knowing I have an August 2018 build truck, but I am happy to report that as it has gotten warmer here (90's the last several days), my A/C is blowing cold like all my Chrysler/Dodge Ram vehicles have in the past. I have no complaints about the performance of the A/C in my new truck. I will have to admit the dealership had tinted the front windows on this one since it was a lot truck, and that could be playing into the performance. I also have very light colored tan seats. I purposely avoided buying a Rebel because there was no way I was going to live with black leather in the south. I reluctantly bought a Cherokee Trailhawk for my daughter for the same reason, but she gets to deal with it and not me. ;-)

chalin

Reaction score
You are absolutely right!!! This temporary band aid will at least get us through the summer until a proper fix is launched as a TSB. I am basically stirring the pot and getting attention from RamCares and TFLtruck as well as all the members here. Ram has built such a cool truck that they have to fix this as Ford and Chev/GMC will start showing ads for colder AC than Ram.
I hope it works. I would not have bought this truck if I didn't like it. There are a number of things I really like ,but this ac issue is clouding the positives. The dealer experience and the factory input doesn't make me feel like a valued customer.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I’m going to take my truck in so they can check the A/C. I feel it performs but it needs to be a tad colder. Figured I’d have them check. Anything in particular I should say?
There is TSB 24-001-19 that applies to truck builds prior to 09-20-18. I would point out drivers vent warmer than passenger side. Would be best if you had a thermometer to prove it. Even a digital kitchen probe thermometer for meat will work. Here is TSB attached as well as checkout procedure....

Attachments

• Flash HVAC Diagnostic and System Updates.pdf
    29 KB · Views: 19
  • Diagnosis and Testing - AC Performance.pdf
    16.2 KB · Views: 16

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you put valve on heater core hose you will drop another 10 degrees from vents

Last edited:

Hackmunch

Reaction score
where is the heater core hose at in the engine compartment. i want to test mine with it pinched off and see if there is a difference.

KcRay

Reaction score
where is the heater core hose at in the engine compartment. i want to test mine with it pinched off and see if there is a difference.
Two of them right next to each other coming out of the water pump. One says "out", the other says "in". They run together along the passenger side of the engine up to the heater core on the fire wall, just under the windshield. The one that says"out" is the one to close off. If you can't see where it says "out"and "in", it's the top hose going into the heater core. I'm assuming by asking this type of question you may not be familiar with this kind of engine, or mechanical work. I would strongly suggest not to do this unless you are absolutely sure of what you are doing. You run the risk of pinching off the wrong hose, or cutting the hose you are trying to pinch off. Looking at the pictures I posted shows the correct hose at the water pump. The make special auto hose pinch off tools as well.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is TSB 24-001-19 that applies to truck builds prior to 09-20-18. I would point out drivers vent warmer than passenger side. Would be best if you had a thermometer to prove it. Even a digital kitchen probe thermometer for meat will work. Here is TSB attached as well as checkout procedure....
Driver side and passenger side read different. Is the temperature blowing correctly at least on one side though? Will it be different if it was hotter outside like later in the day?

Attachments

• C3AF4A88-BA8C-45D9-936A-41E30324BE0B.jpeg
    C3AF4A88-BA8C-45D9-936A-41E30324BE0B.jpeg
    105.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 48EBE404-021F-4594-8D6D-A11527DCE0AB.jpeg
    48EBE404-021F-4594-8D6D-A11527DCE0AB.jpeg
    102.7 KB · Views: 45

Users who are viewing this thread