5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning performance

Limited

Reaction score
I’m refusing delivery at this point. I will see if I can get my deposit back but I doubt it since the dealer says nothing is wrong with it.

I Love Grits

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for that chart - I'll throw a temperature probe in mine over the weekend. @Ilovegrits is there any more test data/procedure available?

I did notice an odd blower noise change today just sitting stopped at a light. I do wonder if there is some blend door / recirc door shenanigans going on.

BTW: Whatever you do, don't right-click on that image and say "Search Google for Image..." in Chrome...

See attached.

Attachments

• Diagnosis and Testing - AC Performance.pdf
    16.2 KB · Views: 202

I Love Grits

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m refusing delivery at this point. I will see if I can get my deposit back but I doubt it since the dealer says nothing is wrong with it.

I don't blame you. I think it can be hard to appreciate just how F'n hot it can be in the summer in places like Houston. Some guys might give you flak about refusing delivery but if you're not from around here, it could be hard to see just how miserable a marginal AC system would make things.

My truck sits in covered parking at work M-F and the ride home at 5:00 pm is manageable because the cabin hasn't baked in the sun all day. During the weekend however, the truck stays outside. Truth be told, I sorta dread loading the kids up at 2 pm on a Saturday and going somewhere because the truck just will not cool off. This afternoon we went to the grocery store and I left the truck running while we were inside in order to get as much help as it could. That's with quality ceramic tint all the way around too.

The dread is a sucky feeling. Especially when you've spent $50K+ on a vehicle. From one Texan to another, I think you made the right choice.

Limited

Reaction score
Stick a thermometer in its vent and then your F150. Things should get better, not worse.

My F150 has been sitting out in the sun and the display say 98 degreees which matches a thermometer I have outside. I started the truck, put on the Max A/C and let it run for exactly 10 minutes. I then took the temp from inside the vent and it stayed right around 45 degrees. Attached is a photo showing the vent temp and ambient air temp on the display. It was freezing in my truck after only 10 minutes on Max A/C and that’s in direct sun and the truck not moving.

Attachments

• BBD1BBDC-3746-4B22-BA24-A8F77E704C3E.jpeg
    BBD1BBDC-3746-4B22-BA24-A8F77E704C3E.jpeg
    486.9 KB · Views: 162

Boatjockey

Reaction score
I am in Houston as well. Today my temp on the patio read 102 degrees in the shade. When my truck eventually gets here I will test the A/C and will refuse the truck if it does not perform well enough.
For those not familiar with Houston weather, we usually have 4-5 months above 90 degrees (and frequent heat waves of days over 100 degrees) and a weak A/C just will not do it for me. My GLS550 has a panoramic roof and the A/C is very cold within a few minutes so I expect the same from the Ram.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My F150 has been sitting out in the sun and the display say 98 degreees which matches a thermometer I have outside. I started the truck, put on the Max A/C and let it run for exactly 10 minutes. I then took the temp from inside the vent and it stayed right around 45 degrees. Attached is a photo showing the vent temp and ambient air temp on the display. It was freezing in my truck after only 10 minutes on Max A/C and that’s in direct sun and the truck not moving.

Yep - your Ram won't match that A/C.

1Raider

Reaction score
I hope this issue gets fixed before my truck goes down the line for sure.. I love the interior an all the cool bell's an whistles but if the truck doesn't have cold air then I may be back in a Ford and live with it..
That's one thing I've never had a problem with in the Fords is the air blows ICE cold..

Craftman

Reaction score
Well, my dealer just called up and said the truck I was interested arrived today. Current temp here is 81. First thing I will do is check out the Air Con. No sunroof or vented seats on this truck so maybe that will make a difference. But if AC sucks - no deal. Heading to check out the truck now.

Aries Ram

AriesRam
Reaction score
I'm getting close myself to refusing , has never owned a Ram but I know every manufacturer have hiccups with a new launch but this is seriously too much. I'm starting to look at 19 GMC this evening.

Craftman

Reaction score
Test drove Rebel with eTorque engine this evening. After reading all the AirCon issues was more concerned with the air than start-stop. Outside temp was 78 and air was plenty cold. Going back tomorrow to possibly make a deal and temperature is supposed to be the upper 80s. Will see how it does when it's hotter outside.

Comparing the AC to my Tacoma I would say it is not as good. but only went for a quick drive.

Mohab

Reaction score
I am glad you guys mentioned this issue before I start locating my next truck, I am in Florida and good AC is crucial. My 16 ram limited AC is good even though truck is black and white all day out in the sun. I can't keep the seat on cold for a long time coz it will feel a bit cold.
I will definitely not accept delivery for underperformed AC truck, we are paying high dollar and we should get high quality at least for a basic function like AC. I will wait and keep eye on this forum untill FCA fixes all issues, meaning while I will look into f150 Raptor even though I don't like the interior there

warvet

Reaction score
800 miles on my Long Horn. Upper 90s, but reading 100 all last week. My truck sits outside from 7am-430pm. If I don't put a window shade up, the wood on my steering wheel is too hot to even touch. Even with the shade up, the wood is still pretty warm....as are the metal Long Horn emblems, etc.

Having said that .....my GMC got colder much faster, but my Ram is just fine. I have yet to use Max setting. Page 95 of my manual says when its hot to set the fan to "face only" put the fan on "high" and roll the windows down for a few minutes to flush out the hot air. I have done that ever day and it works wonders. I noticed my setting was automatically on "face and floor" and the manual says that warmer air comes out of the floor on purpose.....so, I do face only like the manual suggests in the upper 90/100 degree days when I first hop in.

I don't use recirculating mode. I also read someplace that the outside air will cool down quicker than the inside air.........hence, rolling windows down to flush it out at first. Here is an excerpt from the manual:
Continuous use of the Recirculation mode may make the inside air stuffy and window fogging may occur. Extended use of this mode is not recommended. It also states that recirculation mode is used when there is smoke, dust, etc outside and you don't want that inside the cab. I know we all like what we like......but I find recirculation mode not to be as "fresh" as the outside mode in any car I drive.....recirculation mode seems stuffy to me.

Then I noticed my fan would speed up after like 5 minutes of driving, when I used auto mode when leaving work and I thought something was wrong. Then I read this in the manual:
To provide you with maximum comfort in the Automatic mode during cold start-ups, the blower fan will remain on low until the engine warms up. The blower will increase in speed and transition into Auto mode. So.....even though I had it in auto mode, it really wasn't in auto mode for those first few minutes. When I heard the fan increase, that was going into auto mode.

So because my commute is so short.......I don't use my "usual" auto mode heading home........I just adjust the temp and fan speed and it seems to cool down alot faster. I take their recommendation ..........face only setting......on high......windows down first few minutes to get hot air out, windows back up.......I'm not on recirculation mode.......and that outside air coming in seems to cool down fast enough. Then I go to auto mode and adjust my temp to what I want.

Guys, I'm just sharing.........am I saying these techniques should be required? No! But they are recommended and I use them and they work. I hope they work for you because I'd hate for any of you to have AC issues that need fixed. BTW......my daughter's 16 Civic gets cold extremely fast and it sits outside at college all day, my wife's MB gets colder than my old GMC and they were both outside all day at work. I just think systems work differently.

2019Bhorn

Reaction score
My brother and I took my 19 ram on about a two hour drive the other day, outside temp was about 94, and my brother complained how much my air sucks in the truck. So when he got back to his truck, 2018 ram, he said in less then ten mins it froze him out... there can't be this many people complaining about poor A/C performance and FCA not do anything about it.. someone needs to call and start a case about this this issue.

Echance01

Reaction score
Great thread as I live in Arizona. Test drove a 2019 Laramie for about 30 min yesterday (the high was 109). I was noticeably sweating most of the drive (this was with the AC cranked up and ventilated seats on max). Reading this string it all makes sense. I jumped into my 2015 Durango R/T and 5 min into my drive home I was comfortable. Interested to see if FCA figures it out.

Last edited:

Cluck

Reaction score
Well, I was ready to pull the trigger on a new 2019 Limited.... but each passing day I think it's a good thing I haven't. I live in Fla, so AC is pretty important. I may be waiting for a while.. they have some things to get fixed on this new RAM, or may get a 2019 Denali - since I have only had GM trucks in the past.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, I was ready to pull the trigger on a new 2019 Limited.... but each passing day I think it's a good thing I haven't. I live in Fla, so AC is pretty important. I may be waiting for a while.. they have some things to get fixed on this new RAM, or may get a 2019 Denali - since I have only had GM trucks in the past.

I've lived in Florida for 25 years and I'm not the least bit concerned. I should be picking my Limited on Tuesday, assuming it gets from Orlando to Sanford Monday. And, I get from Michigan to Florida tomorrow.

Flot

Reaction score
I've lived in Florida for 25 years and I'm not the least bit concerned. I should be picking my Limited on Tuesday, assuming it gets from Orlando to Sanford Monday. And, I get from Michigan to Florida tomorrow.

I don't know why you wouldn't be concerned. Air Conditioning is a pretty big deal. It's 92-95 today in S Florida.

I'm still a bit perplexed. Drove the truck to the store at 4 pm, 20 mins including an 8 min interstate jaunt and I would rate the A/C performance as a 3-4 out of 10. The return trip, 2 hours later, I would say it was a 5-6 out of 10. I am curious if something is going on with the shutters or radiator fan etc, although the engine temp has not been out of line. (anywhere from 206-212) I did hear the fan screaming when I shut off the car in my driveway.

The crazy thing is, in my 2011 I would start the truck from across the parking lot and that 15 seconds of the A/C running would always make a big difference. In this one it feels like I am driving 2-3 mins before the A/C is even putting a dent in things.

Not happy with this situation. If I test drove a 2019 in this afternoon's heat, I wouldn't be buying. When I picked mine up it was a balmy 65 degrees and rainy.

Last edited:

Flot

Reaction score
ac-chart-jpg.1572

Here are the results of my driveway test - we're just about in for a downpour, so it is very cloudy out. And it's 7 pm.

Ambient temp 93 degrees. (truck outdoor temp says 95)

7:00 - Started Truck, tried to hold rpm at 1000 but oddly the best I could do was bouncing between 800-1200
7:01 - Outlet temp 73 degrees
7:02 - Outlet temp 70 degrees
7:03 - Outlet temp 68 degrees
7:04 - Outlet temp 68 degrees

Air was just starting to get "comfortable" at this point sitting in the driveway after 4 mins running with minimal sun load.

Decided to go for a drive around the neighborhood, 15-25 mph. Coldest temperature reached was at the stack at 7:07 was 61 degrees.

I'm struggling with the heat index "apparent temp" calculation. If I go by what is currently posted online, it is a current "feels like" of 95 degrees, but if I try to do my own I am getting a number more like 105 degrees.

@Ilovegrits I don't suppose you have the same sort of chart for the previous gen Ram?

For comparisons sake, I just took the wife's Honda Pilot through approximately the same test..it got down to 63 degrees when sitting in the driveway running for 5 mins, and then got to 54 degrees after the trip around the neighborhood. That 5-7 degrees is a huge difference! I was a little worried about the 1234yf refrigerant in the Ram, but actually it looks like it is the same in the Pilot.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread