5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning performance

DaMythDaLegend

Reaction score
I live in Maryland and it was 90 degrees yesterday, the ac does not blow as cold as it should be. At the drivers vent does not go lower then 55. I work on cars so I checked several other brands and the temperature at the vents goes to 42 on a Nissan Pathfinder and 40 on a Honda CR-V. I had the chance to get into a brand new 2019 ram rebel, rental, the temperature didn’t go lower than 55. It’s a shame for a great truck it is.
You can see in the pics what it shows on the other cars. The ram’s ac underperforms big time. Have to check if this ram is 2019 or 2020, not sure.

You need to look at the other threads where the specifications are listed in regards to ambient temperatures. You're comparing one flavor to another when looking at your vehicle. It's like saying a Florida orange is the only correct orange because when you bite into an orange grown in California it doesn't taste the same so it's wrong. FCA has documented specifications for the vehicle's A/C. If it doesn't fall within those specifications then YES, its not working as it should be. Otherwise, it's working as intended/designed. You can't go around testing other vehicles and comparing and then saying your RAM is broken.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You need to look at the other threads where the specifications are listed in regards to ambient temperatures. You're comparing one flavor to another when looking at your vehicle. It's like saying a Florida orange is the only correct orange because when you bite into an orange grown in California it doesn't taste the same so it's wrong. FCA has documented specifications for the vehicle's A/C. If it doesn't fall within those specifications then YES, its not working as it should be. Otherwise, it's working as intended/designed. You can't go around testing other vehicles and comparing and then saying your RAM is broken.

I think what the member is saying is that even though it is performing to specifications, the vehicle in this class should perform equal or better than other vehicles. There is no good reason that RAM can't engineer a stellar performing A/C system. Take all the awards it's been given and some are well deserved but why not knock it out of the park?

DaMythDaLegend

Reaction score
I think what the member is saying is that even though it is performing to specifications, the vehicle in this class should perform equal or better than other vehicles. There is no good reason that RAM can't engineer a stellar performing A/C system. Take all the awards it's been given and some are well deserved but why not knock it out of the park?

even if that's what they are saying it's still incorrect. the vehicle should perform within FCA's specifications. No worse, but hopefully better.

What they should be saying is they would expect the vehicle to be designed to perform equal or better than other vehicles.

Yeah yeah I know, but the wording is important. One is a fact based on printed specifications and the other is an opinion.

Mavroni

Reaction score
even if that's what they are saying it's still incorrect. the vehicle should perform within FCA's specifications. No worse, but hopefully better.

What they should be saying is they would expect the vehicle to be designed to perform equal or better than other vehicles.

Yeah yeah I know, but the wording is important. One is a fact based on printed specifications and the other is an opinion.
I really don’t know what opinion you are talking about. I work on cars and there is NO other brand that the ac blows more than 42-44 at the vents in 90 degree weather. If it does every mechanic out there will tell you that there is something wrong with the ac, either low on freon or the compressor is about to die. What I’m saying is that the new ram has weak ac! After all the awards they claim they have with weak ac you don’t feel comfortable, it’s not 1940, it’s 2019!

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I really don’t know what opinion you are talking about. I work on cars and there is NO other brand that the ac blows more than 42-44 at the vents in 90 degree weather. If it does every mechanic out there will tell you that there is something wrong with the ac, either low on freon or the compressor is about to die. What I’m saying is that the new ram has weak ac! After all the awards they claim they have with weak ac you don’t feel comfortable, it’s not 1940, it’s 2019!
And what temps are you getting out of your limited?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My wife and I finally tested this (with her digital kitchen thermometer). With an ambient temperature of 91 degrees (according to the truck), we left a 90-degree garage and achieved equilibrium (i..e. fan speed slowing down to low) with the auto A/C set at 71 degrees in under 3 minutes.

Now for the specs. The driver side vent reached a low of 51 degrees with the fan on low speed and hovered at 55 when the fan was on high. Meanwhile, the passenger side stayed at 45-46 degrees at all times. My wife was uncomfortably cold in the passenger seat, and I was comfortable in the driver seat with the seat ventilation on “Lo” and the setting sun shining in my side of the truck.

So I apparently have the same “problem” temps others have experienced, and yet we find the cabin very comfortable.

For reference, I keep my house at 72 during the day and 69-71 at night. The Ram is equally comfortable. We have no complaints.

srm3500

Reaction score
just to let posters know......ram care will do NOTHING to fix this problem....I opened a case, took my truck in 3x to dealer...Now ram care has pulled the dealer off of trying anymore attempts to "fix"....they know that if they try to fix it a 4th time to no avail, the lemon laws could possibly be instigated....very frustrated with a 50k truck where the a/c works worse than a YUGO!!

Dude, chill out. Ram Cares is here just to give us assistance with problems not fix them. To me it's no wonder dealers are "bad" if you treat them all like this.

Differia

Reaction score
Absolutely horrible A/C system. With temperatures reaching 105 today I am seeing 60 degrees out of the driver vent. My trucks AC feels like a swamp cooler.
The wife's Chrysler is getting 38 degrees.
That's a 22 degree difference.

Mavroni

Reaction score
And what temps are you getting out of your limited?
On a 85 degree weather the drivers vent shows 55, the passenger vent shows 45. Me personally I don’t feel comfortable, it takes forever to cool the cabin. Tomorrow will be 95 and humid, I will sweat big time in it. For 70k it’s not acceptable. Big talk that it’s not a working truck, it’s a luxurious vehicle, and so weak ac it’s very disappointing

Attachments

• 34401EDE-6B88-443A-966F-72F812B985A1.jpeg
    34401EDE-6B88-443A-966F-72F812B985A1.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 56
  • F1F4714E-0451-4986-BCD6-47D6EE6A3464.jpeg
    F1F4714E-0451-4986-BCD6-47D6EE6A3464.jpeg
    127.8 KB · Views: 55
Reaction score
Well I don’t agree with the last post I feel the ac is a huge necessity...anyway I had the truck in the shop yesterday for the airbag recall and I’m not sure if this is a case of them telling me what I want to hear or what but they told me they flashed something on the computer and they fixed the ac. I actually have to go back as I left something in the rental car today so I’ll get more info. I can tell you in my instance it is certainly cooler coming out of the vent.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My A/C has been working very well in my opinion and I live in South Florida. Working even better after my tint......but this morning:

Good morning. I just used my front windshield defrost this morning to get rid of the morning dew down here. After a few minutes I noticed the passenger side was clear as can be but the drivers still fogging up. I pulled over and felt the air coming out and to the right of the rear view mirror was blowing hot, to the left was blowing more like room temp. How does that even happen? And just so you don’t ask I had the zones synced and both were at 80 degrees, auto, front defrost button pressed

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On a 85 degree weather the drivers vent shows 55, the passenger vent shows 45. Me personally I don’t feel comfortable, it takes forever to cool the cabin. Tomorrow will be 95 and humid, I will sweat big time in it. For 70k it’s not acceptable. Big talk that it’s not a working truck, it’s a luxurious vehicle, and so weak ac it’s very disappointing
Just for grins, have you tried just one setting, go to climate page, push just the “Max” button and sit back and wait. Do not touch A/C button or “Recirc” button. Tell us your story then, please.

rrbhokies

Reaction score
In addition to the issues I'm experiencing with my truck, I also want to point out something else. We had a 2017 Pacifica that we traded in 3 months ago for a 2019. And for the past month and half, now that it's been warmer, all my wife does is complain that the A/C in the van is much warmer than it was in the 2017 we had. I'm wondering if it part of something larger across FCA where they have implementated changes to their A/C systems over the past year or two. Seem like it's more than a coincidence.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My dealer fix my ac issue. Super cold now. An o ring was leaking. They have seen several issues of this.

Do you have a part # or description of the o-ring they replaced? Did they do anything else besides replace the o-ring?

GM convert

Reaction score
Do you have a part # or description of the o-ring they replaced? Did they do anything else besides replace the o-ring?
It was an o ring and some other pieces. You can call my dealer Baraboo Motors in Wisconsin. Ask what they did to Barry’s Ram.

Differia

Reaction score
It was an o ring and some other pieces. You can call my dealer Baraboo Motors in Wisconsin. Ask what they did to Barry’s Ram.

What temps are you getting out of the vents now that you say its fixed?

Last edited:

GM convert

Reaction score
What temps are you getting out of the vents now that you say its fixed?
Not sure, but it’s cold like it was last year. Now it cools the cabin fast and auto set at 70/72 degrees is good. No more having to crank it super cold to get some ac.

ac1dd

Reaction score
Guys make sure that you buy a decent fast acting digital thermometer with a corded probe you can actually insert at least three inches into the vent ducting, it's the only way you are going to get a better idea of just what the larger picture is with everyones trucks. Everyone should post temps pre and post changes made, whether by the dealer or your own mod to the truck.

Too many people speaking about how they "feel" (perceive) the temps in the truck, that isn't helpful in any meaningful way to the entire community with this problem. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread