5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning Hack

gpbst3

Reaction score
Sorry if these questions have already been answered but I cannot find the answers in the 65 pages.

1) Im going to install the valve. I plan on clamping the hose before removing it from the heater core to minimize fluid loss. So how much fluid can I expect out of the heater core? If I can have the valve closed and pre-clamped on the line and try for a quick exchange.

2) How much fluid loss is acceptable before you would need to bleed the system?

3) If I leave the valve partially opened will I still have dual zone temp controls? The wife will still want to control her side.

yellowboy

Reaction score
I just did mine 20 minutes ago, I should have done it sooner. I had to cut the hose off (truck is 3 years old) I lost maybe 3-4 cups on the pump side, it fell into garbage can lid I just poured it back in. I didn't like the "wheel" type of clamp I must have turned it too much and it bent so I went to the pliers type. Just in time for 90 degrees the next week ! My dog will love me 🥶
🥶
That said it's pretty aggravating I had to do this to a $ 62,000 truck. My last Ram for sure.

Last edited:

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sorry if these questions have already been answered but I cannot find the answers in the 65 pages.

1) Im going to install the valve. I plan on clamping the hose before removing it from the heater core to minimize fluid loss. So how much fluid can I expect out of the heater core? If I can have the valve closed and pre-clamped on the line and try for a quick exchange.

2) How much fluid loss is acceptable before you would need to bleed the system?

3) If I leave the valve partially opened will I still have dual zone temp controls? The wife will still want to control her side.
Don’t worry too much about the coolant loss. Shouldn’t be too bad. Just top off the radiator when your done, start the vehicle with the radiator cap off, any air will escape after the thermostat opens and you can top off again. If it starts to want to come over, turn off the engine. The hack will control both sides of your climate. You can’t just do one side.

BFDM

Reaction score
Bought the ball valve and installed it yesterday on my 2019 crew cab. I only lost a tiny bit of coolant. Not even enough to worry about.

I put it immediately downstream of the water pump on the bottom hose. It's next to the water pump, about 2 inches downstream. This one appears to be the delivery hose as its connection to the water pump is more robust than the other hose. A high pressure vs lower (return) pressure fitting/clamp. The other hose appears to be a return line from the heater coil. This location makes it easy to operate.

It's definitely an improvement. I now see dash temp close to 40. Or, in the green band anyway on my AC thermo. This is probably 15 degrees less than I am used to seeing, if not 20 on some days. Mid 90's here today.....and cold AC. Quite happy. Do this mod.

Last edited:

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Bought the ball valve and installed it yesterday on my 2019 crew cab. I only lost a tiny bit of coolant. Not even enough to worry about.

I put it immediately downstream of the water pump on the bottom hose. It's next to the water pump, about 2 inches downstream. This one appears to be the delivery hose as its connection to the water pump is more robust than the other hose. A high pressure vs lower (return) pressure fitting/clamp. The other hose appears to be a return line from the heater coil. This location makes it easy to operate.

It's definitely an improvement. I now see dash temp close to 40. Or, in the green band anyway on my AC thermo. This is probably 15 degrees less than I am used to seeing, if not 20 on some days. Mid 90's here today.....and cold AC. Quite happy. Do this mod.
Nice.what year is your truck? Might wanna make a signature

gpbst3

Reaction score
I installed the valve today. I’m a little nervous about leaving it fully closed. I have it cracked a tiny bit.

While an improvement it did not have as much of an effect as I hoped. Prior to I was seeing 54 on center driver side vent and 50 on all other vents. Afterward I’m seeing 45-48on all vents.

Attachments

• 9D55309C-0A11-4A75-B4C4-B652EFC88EE1.jpeg
    9D55309C-0A11-4A75-B4C4-B652EFC88EE1.jpeg
    223 KB · Views: 73

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I installed the valve today. I’m a little nervous about leaving it fully closed. I have it cracked a tiny bit.

While an improvement it did not have as much of an effect as I hoped. Prior to I was seeing 54 on center driver side vent and 50 on all other vents. Afterward I’m seeing 45-48on all vents.
Nicely done. What's the ambient temp outside? I'm getting about 45 when it's 80 outside.

benb1976

Reaction score
Im adding my experience owning both a 2021 and now a 2022 Ram 1500. The AC has not blown cold in both. Before I traded in my 2021 it was never cold unless I had on max cool, even then never really cold, and I spoke to the dealer about it and they said it’s too hot outside in San Antonio, TX for them to test and to come back when it’s cooler outside, and even said to get my windows tinted, but even that didn’t help. Fast forward a year and I traded in for a 2022 hoping for fixes, but the issue with the AC is still there, does not blow cold, it’s luke warm at best and when I turn the temp dial to 12’o clock it’s literally like the heater is on, not anywhere where I’d expect for a ‘mid’ setting. I must always use max AC to get anywhere close to the AC on my older chevy. These two rams are almost identicle except I got wireless car play on my 8.4 Uconnect (don’t get me started on the Box error message pop ups and lack of wifi SMH). So I don’t know what’s different in these years vs the 2020 except that problems are still present on AC and Uconnect for my 2022. The hack Im a little worried about but I’m tempted to try. @RamCares where is a TSB to cover 2021-2022 models which all have the same issues?

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Im adding my experience owning both a 2021 and now a 2022 Ram 1500. The AC has not blown cold in both. Before I traded in my 2021 it was never cold unless I had on max cool, even then never really cold, and I spoke to the dealer about it and they said it’s too hot outside in San Antonio, TX for them to test and to come back when it’s cooler outside, and even said to get my windows tinted, but even that didn’t help. Fast forward a year and I traded in for a 2022 hoping for fixes, but the issue with the AC is still there, does not blow cold, it’s luke warm at best and when I turn the temp dial to 12’o clock it’s literally like the heater is on, not anywhere where I’d expect for a ‘mid’ setting. I must always use max AC to get anywhere close to the AC on my older chevy. These two rams are almost identicle except I got wireless car play on my 8.4 Uconnect (don’t get me started on the Box error message pop ups and lack of wifi SMH). So I don’t know what’s different in these years vs the 2020 except that problems are still present on AC and Uconnect for my 2022. The hack Im a little worried about but I’m tempted to try. @RamCares where is a TSB to cover 2021-2022 models which all have the same issues?
I did the hack on my '20, a/c got much colder, never experienced any problems with the hack, it's a pretty straightforward valve.
I wonder what is different between your '22 and mine, because mine is much colder than my '20 was. Have you had the system checked for leaks or level?

benb1976

Reaction score
I did the hack on my '20, a/c got much colder, never experienced any problems with the hack, it's a pretty straightforward valve.
I wonder what is different between your '22 and mine, because mine is much colder than my '20 was. Have you had the system checked for leaks or level?I
I have not had it formally checked yet since the dealer wanted to charge me 128.00 for a diagnosis, then keep the Ram for up to 9 days since they are so backed up, and my service package only covers 3 days of rentals, so didnt want to pay out of pocket.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have not had it formally checked yet since the dealer wanted to charge me 128.00 for a diagnosis, then keep the Ram for up to 9 days since they are so backed up, and my service package only covers 3 days of rentals, so didnt want to pay out of pocket.
If you aren't planning on taking it to the dealer then I think the hack is the answer. If that makes it cold enough, no harm/no dealer inconvenience. If it doesn't make it cold enough for you, then I doubt there is anything the dealer could do, other than pulling the dash and inspecting the plenum box for deficiencies. It is possible than an actuator isn't functioning properly, or a blend door isn't sealing correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread