5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning Hack

yellowboy

Reaction score
Well this summer in NC finally got to me

Sorry to be redundant, never thought I would do this but can someone summarize what (best quality) parts are needed and do any hoses have to be cut - in other words the easiest way for someone not to savvy to dothis , thanks

GARebel19

Reaction score
I am currently in the process of trying to get my dealer to complete the TSB. I brought it in prior to my warranty ending and they measured an 8 degree difference between driver and passenger side vents and to my surprise ordered the parts to the TSB back in May. Long story short they don't seem interested in completing the repair anymore and I have reached out to RamCares yesterday to see what they can do.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I am currently in the process of trying to get my dealer to complete the TSB. I brought it in prior to my warranty ending and they measured an 8 degree difference between driver and passenger side vents and to my surprise ordered the parts to the TSB back in May. Long story short they don't seem interested in completing the repair anymore and I have reached out to RamCares yesterday to see what they can do.
They need to fulfill this order. No reason they shouldn’t do it, especially since this is an FCA screw up from the factory. No one should ever even have to pay for this, even out of warranty.

GARebel19

Reaction score
I really think when they agreed to do the TSB they had no idea what they were getting into. Now that they realize what the job entails they want no part of it. I'm sure being short staffed with most likely less experienced tech's doesn't help. They act like the have never heard of this issue before which makes me think very few people are getting the TSB completed.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I really think when they agreed to do the TSB they had no idea what they were getting into. Now that they realize what the job entails they want no part of it. I'm sure being short staffed with most likely less experienced tech's doesn't help. They act like the have never heard of this issue before which makes me think very few people are getting the TSB completed.
That’s crazy. My dealer said of course we’ll do it. Took 2 days and definitely worth it. Maybe try another dealer?

GARebel19

Reaction score
I really think that the dealer does not want to do the repair due to the complexity of it. I'm sure they can make more money overcharging for basic services/repairs. There are 2 dealers within 20 miles of me. The one I'm dealing with now is the further one since I was not impressed with the closest one when they took 2 attempts to fix my leaking 3rd brake light. Now I'm not sure which one I'd rather complete the TSB.

Ram4Lou

Reaction score
I really think that the dealer does not want to do the repair due to the complexity of it. I'm sure they can make more money overcharging for basic services/repairs. There are 2 dealers within 20 miles of me. The one I'm dealing with now is the further one since I was not impressed with the closest one when they took 2 attempts to fix my leaking 3rd brake light. Now I'm not sure which one I'd rather complete the TSB.
Install the “hack”. Much better AC performance than the TSB, without all the risk exposure of the TSB. No matter what anyone says, the TSB is a very involved process with many steps and risk of something being broken and/or not tightened correctly during the reinstallation of dash components. Everything I’ve read so far is that the TSB will get you “better” ac performance, but not as good as the hack. The hack “completely” eliminates any heat from the heater core, just like previous systems designed with heater core bypass valves 😉

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Install the “hack”. Much better AC performance than the TSB, without all the risk exposure of the TSB. No matter what anyone says, the TSB is a very involved process with many steps and risk of something being broken and/or not tightened correctly during the reinstallation of dash components. Everything I’ve read so far is that the TSB will get you “better” ac performance, but not as good as the hack. The hack “completely” eliminates any heat from the heater core, just like previous systems designed with heater core bypass valves 😉
This is true, but I haven’t put my hack back on since the TSB. It really does make a huge difference.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Why would you need the TSB *AND* the hack?
You really don't need it, that was my point. However, if you do put the hack back on, it will drop it another few degrees. It's technically not needed though.

397STROKER

Reaction score
Was this issue eventually fixed in a certain model year or is it still an issue today?

Ickabod

Reaction score
Well this summer in NC finally got to me

Sorry to be redundant, never thought I would do this but can someone summarize what (best quality) parts are needed and do any hoses have to be cut - in other words the easiest way for someone not to savvy to dothis , thanks
This is the one I used: Muzzy's kit.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks, since you can't clamp off the metal tube do you lose much anti freeze on that side or do you have to be real quick ?
Clamp off the hose side. Then do the metal tube side first quickly. You won’t lose much.

Users who are viewing this thread