5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning Hack

slicktop

Reaction score
Where did you end up tapping in for power?
well... FOR NOW it's coming from an add-a-fuse in circuit 65 under the dash. It was late, I don't stay up late anymore, and I couldn't figure out why the switched circuits I had tested the day before weren't working with the truck in ACC but not on. So I went to the thread on here where the member posted a video of how he wired up a signal power line to his amp and used that slot, #65. My dumb *** later realized the other locations probably would be fine if I had tested them with the truck running and the stock relay kicked in. I'll mess with it and find a better, completely empty but active fuse spot when it's not 80 degrees and 100 percent humidity at 10PM. The solenoid has low power draw (less than 3A) but I'd just feel better if it were all on its own and not adding any ampacity to a feeder wire.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A humid August night is probably the worst time possible to do this, but when it FINALLY cools off here and I need heat, it'll be nice to just flick the switch and not have to pop the hood. Thanks to everyone on here for the inspiration!
So you went with normally closed (y)
Nice job, clean install, looks factory.

slicktop

Reaction score
So you went with normally closed (y)
Nice job, clean install, looks factory.
Thanks! But actually that solenoid is normally open. I figured the "safest" thing to do was have it fail back to stock configuration if something goes wrong. With my luck, I'd be driving down a rutted dirt road on the way back from a hunting trip in January and something would pop loose and I'd freeze!

INVISBLE

Reaction score
I can confirm clamping off that engine out hose works... I used a radiator hose clamp plier and within 5 minutes it went from 56 degrees to 46 degrees(in the center stack drivers vent) just idling. There most definitely is a blend door issue or a poorly designed airbox that is radiating heat into the evap core area.

Joel-A

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram Bighorn Sport that has unsatisfactory a/c. I took it to my local dealer at the end of last summer 2019 and they claimed to have found/replaced a cracked a/c valve and charged the system. Now that summer 2020 is heavily upon us here in SoCal I’ve noticed that whatever they claimed they fixed did not solve all my issues. I’ve been reading about the “hack”in this column and decided to give it a try today. I haven’t tested it yet with the hack installed but will try to remember to follow up. Here are some pics of what I did.

Attachments

• 715742C9-1EC7-4F19-AC29-B08C23432193.jpeg
    715742C9-1EC7-4F19-AC29-B08C23432193.jpeg
    198.1 KB · Views: 228
  • 663CB707-9E4D-4851-A504-28EEB65CA84C.jpeg
    663CB707-9E4D-4851-A504-28EEB65CA84C.jpeg
    156.5 KB · Views: 223
  • C53FFC82-41A9-4BDF-827B-4538BC12E987.jpeg
    C53FFC82-41A9-4BDF-827B-4538BC12E987.jpeg
    149.9 KB · Views: 212

Skater

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram Bighorn Sport that has unsatisfactory a/c. I took it to my local dealer at the end of last summer 2019 and they claimed to have found/replaced a cracked a/c valve and charged the system. Now that summer 2020 is heavily upon us here in SoCal I’ve noticed that whatever they claimed they fixed did not solve all my issues. I’ve been reading about the “hack”in this column and decided to give it a try today. I haven’t tested it yet with the hack installed but will try to remember to follow up. Here are some pics of what I did.
That's a very clean and tidy install. Please do follow-up to let us know how much of a difference it makes for you. My Limited's A/C is adequate, or at least I thought it was until yesterday. I was in San Antonio and rented a Lincoln MKX for the weekend. The A/C in that Lincoln got so cold it actually caused me to turn the vents away from my face in humid San Antonio. I'm thinking my threshold for tolerating heat has increased since it has been over 100 here for over 40 days this summer so far, with 10 days over 105.

Thinking of this hack, but have been afraid to dive into it.

Duran

Reaction score
Beautiful job bro. I saved your pics to do mine up. Ya here in san bernardino county its burning out

Joel-A

Reaction score
I’ve been running the ac hack with 100 degree plus temps and believe it has made a positive difference in the cooling capabilities of the truck. I don’t have an air temp thermometer to test the temp with the valve open and then closed. I can say that I finally get cool and feel comfortable within 5 minutes of driving instead of 30+ minutes. I had also about a month ago removed the cabin filter that’s located behind the glove box which was clean and still was a restriction. The filter being removed gave more air flow from the vents. You could even hear the difference of how much air was flowing before and after. FYI.

Last edited:

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had also about a month ago removed the cabin filter that’s located behind the glove box which was clean and still was a restriction. The filter being removed gave more air flow from the vents. You could even hear the difference of how much air was flowing before and after. FYI.

Have you ever seen one of those air cabin filters after about 5k-10k miles? Absolutely filthy. I'd put it back in, worth sacrificing a little bit of airflow to breath cleaner air.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Depends. If you cut off flow you only get cold. If you throttle it you will get some heat, but nowhere near the normal max.
Your auto climate control will still work in the fact that it will still try to control the cab temp to what you set it at but when it thinks it’s bringing heat into the cab it isn’t. It will continue to try and raise temp and increase fan speed to get to the temp set but won’t get anywhere. That’s if it’s trying to heat up. If it’s trying to cool down then it should work like it’s supposed to.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
I'm about to put the clamp on mine for a road trip. Do you know about how many turns back from all the way you went with?

Bout 1-2, but U gotta look and play a lil. I just got my valve in the mail, so that may be a weekend project.

turkeybird56

Reaction score

Did U put any type of pipe dope on the end of the hoses or just clamp tight???

FTRO

Reaction score
I have now put a little over 1,700 miles on my 2020. (build date was 6/26 - picked up on 7/20)
This thread and many others like it almost persuaded me to skip getting a Ram. (you should not have to hack a new truck!!)
But everything else about the truck had me hooked.
I even contemplated taking a clamp with me when I went to pick up my new truck, for the 3 hour drive back in the heat.

I am glad I still chose to get the Ram. It definitely helps that I got one of the lucky ones that has an adequately working A/C.
Since I know pics are mandatory, I used the only thermometer I had at the house. I need to get a better one and test it again.
I have not added a clamp or valve yet since this is what I am getting out of it.....
when I tested it today (95* outside w/ 45% humidity)

MVIMG_20200822_132516.jpg

Drivers side center vent... I'm guessing 48*
MVIMG_20200822_131715.jpg

Passenger side center vent... 42* ish
MVIMG_20200822_131928.jpg

With the A/C on auto and set to 67* even on the hottest days so far, it will blow hard for the first ten or so minutes and then lower the fan speed down to maintain temp.
Would adding a valve drop the temp, absolutely. But so far I don't feel that I have to just yet to be comfortable.

And for anyone wondering why I am only averaging 14.5 mpg so far.... I have taken a handful (aprox. 700 miles) of fishing trips pulling the boat.
I love that I can set cruse control at 80 on flat roads and it will tach just under 2,000 rpm w/ my 3.21 rear-end. Way better gas mileage than my last F150.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
I have now put a little over 1,700 miles on my 2020. (build date was 6/26 - picked up on 7/20)
This thread and many others like it almost persuaded me to skip getting a Ram. (you should not have to hack a new truck!!)
But everything else about the truck had me hooked.
I even contemplated taking a clamp with me when I went to pick up my new truck, for the 3 hour drive back in the heat.

I am glad I still chose to get the Ram. It definitely helps that I got one of the lucky ones that has an adequately working A/C.
Since I know pics are mandatory, I used the only thermometer I had at the house. I need to get a better one and test it again.
I have not added a clamp or valve yet since this is what I am getting out of it.....
when I tested it today (95* outside w/ 45% humidity)

View attachment 66235

Drivers side center vent... I'm guessing 48*
View attachment 66236

Passenger side center vent... 42* ish
View attachment 66237

With the A/C on auto and set to 67* even on the hottest days so far, it will blow hard for the first ten or so minutes and then lower the fan speed down to maintain temp.
Would adding a valve drop the temp, absolutely. But so far I don't feel that I have to just yet to be comfortable.

And for anyone wondering why I am only averaging 14.5 mpg so far.... I have taken a handful (aprox. 700 miles) of fishing trips pulling the boat.
I love that I can set cruse control at 80 on flat roads and it will tach just under 2,000 rpm w/ my 3.21 rear-end. Way better gas mileage than my last F150.

U R lucky and good ;luck with yer ride. It seems to be the Luck of the Drawer. SOme of us have real bad issues, some so -so, and some are 100% happy.

Users who are viewing this thread