5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning Hack

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In motion, on the road, you will probably get down to about 40 on max a/c recirc.

QUOTE="z0n3, post: 310670, member: 14911"]
Installed the HF fluid clamp today. Before I used to get 46 out of one vent, the others were all 54. I was able to get 43.9 consistently out of all of the vents. Truck said it was 91 outside (more like 85). I took these temps while the truck sat, it didn’t get driven at all. I will have to take temps during my commute tomorrow to see how she does.
[/QUOTE]
I took the temps of it this morning on my 25 minute ride to work and it got down to 41. with it being 61 outside temp. It basically froze me out and I shut off the AC haha. It should do great on my trip home when its 85+.

Nibis

Reaction score
My A/C worked ok, and I probably could have dealt with it, I could get it down to 56. One hot day I said to myself, what do you have to lose, I had already bought the valve just in case. Yeah, it's plenty cold now, LOL. 106.7 in the truck, got down to 42.9 in about 3 or 4 miles on the highway

20200721_161355.jpg

JimD007

Reaction score
Works well for me. We've been in the 90s for weeks now and I never drive any distance with the fan above about half speed. I may kick it into recirc and high fan speed for a couple minutes to cool off my black truck but I pretty quickly move the fan speed down and go to outside air.

rome5982

Reaction score
Just picked up my 2020 Longhorn Crew Cab. Beautiful truck, I love this truck. However, we are in south Florida and the first thing my wife and I notice is that the AC sucks. We had it on the lowest setting and it was cool air, not cold air. I will say that it was in the middle of the day and it had been sitting in the sun for awhile so it was hot. But 10 minutes later it still seemed like it would barely keep up with keeping the cabin cool. I guess I will be looking into this hack. Just wanted everyone to know that they did not fix it yet. I ordered my truck on 6/3

turkeybird56

Reaction score
the 4 seasons valve 74827 reminds me of the heater control valve on my 1967 dodge dart, that I bought new and was my first car. It was a 273 cu iin 2bbl 4 speed

My EX wife had a 67 Dodge slant 6 with kazillion miles on it. If it has not rusted away, bet still running somewhere. Them ole 225 slants were awesome, tick like a clock, but start and run always

KcRay

Reaction score
Just picked up my 2020 Longhorn Crew Cab. Beautiful truck, I love this truck. However, we are in south Florida and the first thing my wife and I notice is that the AC sucks. We had it on the lowest setting and it was cool air, not cold air. I will say that it was in the middle of the day and it had been sitting in the sun for awhile so it was hot. But 10 minutes later it still seemed like it would barely keep up with keeping the cabin cool. I guess I will be looking into this hack. Just wanted everyone to know that they did not fix it yet. I ordered my truck on 6/3
Really great trucks, sucky AC. Do the hack and enjoy that truck!

Duran

Reaction score
My A/C worked ok, and I probably could have dealt with it, I could get it down to 56. One hot day I said to myself, what do you have to lose, I had already bought the valve just in case. Yeah, it's plenty cold now, LOL. 106.7 in the truck, got down to 42.9 in about 3 or 4 miles on the highway

View attachment 63584
Do you have a pic of the valve and set up

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No it looks like he added a short piece of hose to the water pump side, that’s what I did too, same set up.

turkeybird56

Reaction score

turkeybird56

Reaction score
Went to Harbor Freight and bought their fluid line clamp set with the ubiquitous 20% off coupon and installed it in literally 30 seconds. Six bucks. Even with residual 200F coolant in the heater core it brought the right vent temp down. I saw as low as 40F during a 20 minute drive. Low 90s ambient here today. Cheap fix. 30 seconds to reverse with no tools.

FWIW, Ram is never going to fix this problem, so why wait. How could they really fix it? What are they going to do... redesign the HVAC system on a million trucks in service? :)

What puzzles me is that this blocking-the-heater-core solution is not uncommon (looking at all the reviews on these valves and clamps being used just like this: to cut-off flow to heater cores for lots of vehicles). You'd think there'd be a universal design approach after 100 years of liquid cooled thermal-engined vehicles to get the heat or even the heater core out of the cabin when cabin heating is not needed. And who among us a half century old or older hasn't faced the issue of heater core problems or inaccessible heater cores leaking in history. Sorry, for the mini rant. At least the AC is cool now! Not quite in the upper 30s as I've noted in my other cars, but close.

View attachment 26151 View attachment 26152
The last time I had a leaking heater core, was in my wife's 1990 Chevy Lumina V6 FWD. I just bypassed and looped hose till I had the time, money and the 4 hours of swearing to pull all dat chit apart, come along motor to front, replace heater core and put all back. WAT a major PITA....

Nibis

Reaction score
Nice hook up. You crimped off the hose on two sides before cutting into it and putting in the valve??
Used a clamp on the stock heater hose, like a wood working clamp. Had the short hose on the valve already (valve closed), pulled stock hose off and shoved the valve and hose on to where the stock hose was. Lost maybe an ounce or two of fluid. This is a really easy mod, just have everything in place and ready to go. The hardest part is bending over and reaching everything, LOL

slicktop

Reaction score
The valve is brass so it has a little bit of weight in it, I chose that spot because it was right in the middle of two mounts for the heater hose. For the electric part of the install I found a key on power source so my battery won’t drain if I forget to turn it off, then just ran the wires into the cab through the factory wire harness grommet and mounted the switch below the steering wheel near where your knee is.
I have the valve and the switch on my desk and plan on changing out my manual valve to the solenoid this weekend. Any chance I could get a pic of where you installed your switch? I was thinking below the power pedal adjustment switch, but I'd love to see what you did before I go drilling holes. Also, where exactly did you pull power from?

cowboy99

Reaction score
I have the thermal axle and there's an electric valve that splits the incoming coolant to go to the heater core and to the rear diff. It looks like flow to the rear diff is secondary to the heater core, but if the valve to the heater core is not closing all the way then this could be part of the issue. I found one article on this system but it doesn't state if there's isn't demand for heat then the heater core valve will shut. The assumption is it would close otherwise why have the valve, but it could just tee off the heater line and only open/close for the diff. It looks like it's part "Coolant 3 Way Valve - Mopar (68309834AC)". My AC is running at 50 deg. 2020 Laramie Ecodiesel

I could clamp above the valve but are there any thoughts on this or how it's supposed to work?

turkeybird56

Reaction score
OK, here U go, and post a few pics. Clamp installed, and pics of when driving (40 degrees) after 5 miles, and after just parked (42) after 5 miles. While idling, temp varied between 42-51. Now a lot nicer to sit in da Ride. Prob gonna crack the clamp a little to allow a lil coolant flow, experiment time. As long as I got vent temps at 45, BOIRD a happy Tree Branch Dweller...

hack AC largea.jpg temp ac hack while driving.jpg temp w ac hack.jpg

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Reaction score
I have the thermal axle and there's an electric valve that splits the incoming coolant to go to the heater core and to the rear diff. It looks like flow to the rear diff is secondary to the heater core, but if the valve to the heater core is not closing all the way then this could be part of the issue. I found one article on this system but it doesn't state if there's isn't demand for heat then the heater core valve will shut. The assumption is it would close otherwise why have the valve, but it could just tee off the heater line and only open/close for the diff. It looks like it's part "Coolant 3 Way Valve - Mopar (68309834AC)". My AC is running at 50 deg. 2020 Laramie Ecodiesel

I could clamp above the valve but are there any thoughts on this or how it's supposed to work?

The ED's and V6 Penastars have other lines. All the Hemi's just 2 lines, in/out to Heater Core. (Now, not know about E-Torque, not got one). Dunno on yer question, somebody betta at wrenching than me needs to chime in.

Duran

Reaction score
Used a clamp on the stock heater hose, like a wood working clamp. Had the short hose on the valve already (valve closed), pulled stock hose off and shoved the valve and hose on to where the stock hose was. Lost maybe an ounce or two of fluid. This is a really easy mod, just have everything in place and ready to go. The hardest part is bending over and reaching everything, LOL
Ok i see what your saying. The stock hose got pulled off . Then you installed the end of the valve with the hose on the condenser. And the stock hose went on the other end of the valve. And problem loosing that amount of fluid. And thanks for the detail

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The ED's and V6 Penastars have other lines. All the Hemi's just 2 lines, in/out to Heater Core. (Now, not know about E-Torque, not got one). Dunno on yer question, somebody betta at wrenching than me needs to chime in.
I would like to know about the E Torque as well

Users who are viewing this thread