5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning Hack

dmodem

Reaction score
There's a lot of venting in these a/c threads. And most would say a hack shouldn't be an answer or a solution for an expensive new vehicle. No questions mid 50's to 43F helps. But those living in desert-like environments have different needs - call it worst case scenario demands that a/c vehicle systems have been handling for years. In worst case outside temp scenarios adequate vent air flow makes a huge difference even with 40F vent temps. We shouldn't need the hack or supplement the hack with $500 ceramic tinting and turning off passenger vents but there it is.
As with mine and 64 degree vent temps on hot, humid days, both the dealer and Ram verified there was a problem, and after replacing freon, compressor, and temperature sensor, there is still an issue with warm vent temps. The follow up response was "take it back to the dealer for further evaluation', but since the weather in PA will not be hot/humid until next summer, Ram closed the case. It's indeed nonsense they have not authorized a legitimate fix for the issue.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Some of you are reaching for answers and hopeful solutions. I had zero issues at 99 deg cooling down my cabin with the hack in place. I did not need to have the fan on 3/4 to high speeds all the time like I do with the hack not in place. The air flow and duct sizing IMO are just fine when my AC is blowing 43 deg, when it’s blowing 52-54 deg my fan never comes off high and even then it doesn’t seem like enough air is being pushed. The problem IMO is trying to cool the cab with mid 50’s AC temps.
How can you say you think the airflow is fine when you say that you don't think there's enough airflow being pushed when the fan is selected to high speed? Satisfactory performane should be determined from the baseline (stock configuration...aka no "hack").

There's been plenty of speculation on the root of the problem and not a lot of resolution/answers on the part of the dealerships and FCA. The latter promotes more of the former.

I spent the last 8 years or so manually adjusting flow through the heater core with a valve I installed on my last truck (these trucks are not the first vehicles to have continuous flow through the heater core). While it was effective it became annoying and burdensome to pop the hood on nearly a daily basis (too hot for me or too cold for the wife) to keep it on the edge of "just hot enough".

I refuse to do that with a new truck (my first new vehicle ever) and, for me personally, there's absolutely no way I would ever clamp (pinch) a fluid hose for any prolonged time, especially if that system was in operation.

Just my .03

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How can you say you think the airflow is fine when you say that you don't think there's enough airflow being pushed when the fan is selected to high speed? Satisfactory performane should be determined from the baseline (stock configuration...aka no "hack").

There's been plenty of speculation on the root of the problem and not a lot of resolution/answers on the part of the dealerships and FCA. The latter promotes more of the former.

I spent the last 8 years or so manually adjusting flow through the heater core with a valve I installed on my last truck (these trucks are not the first vehicles to have continuous flow through the heater core). While it was effective it became annoying and burdensome to pop the hood on nearly a daily basis (too hot for me or too cold for the wife) to keep it on the edge of "just hot enough".

What I’m saying is that because the AC sucks in stock form in these new trucks and blows 12-18 deg warmer than any of the other vehicles in my household you find yourself running the blower on high speeds because the AC is just not cool enough. When I have the valve closed on mine the air is significantly colder and I don’t feel the need to run the fan on higher speeds. I agree with you that we shouldn’t have to McGuiver our AC systems to get them to blow cold, but when Ram decides that poor AC performance is within spec what options do we have to provide comfort?

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree. Mine is far less than what I would expect from this price point. Mine was near the bottom of the performance scale but has somehow improved over the last month to be somewhere in the middle. It takes a bit to cool the cab on warm/hot days but I can do it from the cab (all windows down to start the drive for a minute or so to clear the hot air out).

My last truck (2003 Ford F-250 Lariat) was the "flagship of the fleet" and it could barely keep water from boiling if it was hotter than 70F outside (okay maybe that's a slight exaggeration but that's how it felt). Without cutting off heater core flow on a warm/hot day it was backsweat city and that was with perforated leather seats.

I'm probably a bit more understanding than most because I'm coming from a sauna to begin with although my wife's 2010 Jeep Liberty will just about give you frostbite even when it's over 100F outside.

I have no idea what the issue is or why FCA continues to design it this way but it obviously falls short of expectations, especially for the price we're paying for these trucks. This truck cost more than my 2003 Ford F-250 crew cab 4x4 diesel (with all the options) when it was new. I would write it off as the industry standard but it's obvious other's have built a better mousetrap, even FCA. Frustrating.

ac1dd

Reaction score
I refuse to do that with a new truck (my first new vehicle ever) and, for me personally, there's absolutely no way I would ever clamp (pinch) a fluid hose for any prolonged time, especially if that system was in operation.

Just my .03

You can refuse to do this but then you have to live with uncomfortable performance from the AC. :unsure:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You can refuse to do this but then you have to live with uncomfortable performance from the AC. :unsure:
Mines comfortable, despite me being hot natured and living in Texas. Maybe the idea of 26% more airflow volume at not-quite-as-cold vent temps actually works for some of us. And my system usually equalizes (fan speed decreases) in the cabin with a set point of 71 degrees on Auto within 1-3 minutes.

Granted, it’s obvious that some unlucky owners don’t share my experience.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Let me know where I can buy new vehicles at 2003 prices. Please.
I'm sure applying inflation they would be comparable pricing. All I'm trying to say is that trucks are a premium price, especially with all the new technology. These aren't the hay-hauling, feed toting, basic utility farm vehicles any more. I know I'm comparing apples to oranges but for the price of my domestic sport model pickup (with cloth seats) I could be in a pretty nice Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Audi, etc., with all the goodies (the new Toyota Supra MSRP is on par with what my truck cost). I'm not saying I should have gotten one (we're a truck/SUV kind of family) but the expectation of well-performing and/or over-achieving equipment is not unwarranted even though it's "just" a pickup truck.

I just priced out a Ford F-250 (gas V-8 4x4) with what I have on mine and the MSRP is $1000 LESS than the MSRP for my RAM 1500 Big Horn... and the F-250 comes with power telescoping and heated tow mirrors.

I survived the summer and it looks like the weather is finally starting to break. I might have considered it if the HVAC didn't somehow improve itself over the last month of 90F+ temps. It cools a lot faster if I roll all the windows down for the first minute of driving to suck all the stagnant hotness out of the cab.

If I hadn't spent the better part of the last decade with a manual valve on the heater core loop I might splice one in. I would like my HVAC to cool better but not at the expense of going back to popping the hood on a regular basis.

Last edited:

Differia

Reaction score
Everyone`s comfort level is different.
Most members posting the temps coming out of vents show poor AC performance in these 5th gens.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s 85 here today and I have my valve open because it’s been in the 40’s in the mornings but my AC sucks at 85 in stock form. I don’t know how you guys in the Southern Hemisphere could drive these trucks day to day without the clamp or valve in place. I thought of this thread today because I was running my fan on 3/4 to full speed and it still wasn’t cold enough in my cab. It’s a horrible design flaw.

ramhead

Reaction score
There's thermal energy being put into the cab, even if it's cool outside. There's going to be at least one carbon-based life-form/hot water bottle in there at about 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit.

The idea that the cab temp will be in alignment with the vent temp for A/C is unrealistic.

Going off on a tangent, I know but....regarding "global warming", etc. I've brought that thought up before in discussion and have gotten blank stares in return. However, I think it makes sense to assume with population growth (and the fact that there are about 6 billion more people on earth than there were in 1900 venting off 98.6 degree temps all over the planet) may have a lot to due with the warming issues. Not saying carbon emissions, pollution, etc. don't have something to do with it but I never see anyone discussing the explosion in the number of people giving off heat being a possible contributor.

4x4Rebel

Reaction score
Two words.... cow farts. Fix that and a/c going to work like a champ.

Going off on a tangent, I know but....regarding "global warming", etc. I've brought that thought up before in discussion and have gotten blank stares in return. However, I think it makes sense to assume with population growth (and the fact that there are about 6 billion more people on earth than there were in 1900 venting off 98.6 degree temps all over the planet) may have a lot to due with the warming issues. Not saying carbon emissions, pollution, etc. don't have something to do with it but I never see anyone discussing the explosion in the number of people giving off heat being a possible contributor.

EZ Life

Reaction score
Just for reference point, my ‘92 Toyota ranch pickup still blows 34° on original 27yo compressor, converted to r134. This was taken on July 4th this year.

Attachments

• 389F0334-5C19-47F9-8D56-7DC26249CA3A.jpeg
    389F0334-5C19-47F9-8D56-7DC26249CA3A.jpeg
    59.8 KB · Views: 39

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm sure applying inflation they would be comparable pricing.
No, they wouldn't. I bought a 2003 Tahoe that was pretty well loaded for around $35K. If you priced out something similar today, you're north of $63K. (Same engine by the way)

Inflation on $35K from 2003 to 2019 would be $48,801.79.

Gsmith223

Reaction score
The talking heads at FCA ask me to make another video after the third failed attempt to fix my HVAC. So decided to share with all

For those of you just using the valve at some point your blend door will break and it’s going to cost you thousands to get fixed if your warranty expires. Everyone with this issue need to start complaining and forcing them to fix it.

Last edited:

Differia

Reaction score
The talking heads at FCA ask me to make another video after the third failed attempt to fix my HVAC
Are you taking the truck in for a 4th attempt at a fix? Using a different dealer this time?
I think I remember you had an issue with the last dealer telling you it was fixed and take it else where

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I find my ac performance to be fine for the hot and muggy southern Maryland and Florida.
Have it running on auto and set between 74°F or 72°F. Anything lower makes my elbows hurt.
Interestingly, while driving through a section of road that had a high? dewpoint late in the evening I had frost coming out of the vents, last time I saw that was in my -72 AMX running R-12!

Last edited:

Gsmith223

Reaction score
Are you taking the truck in for a 4th attempt at a fix? Using a different dealer this time?
I think I remember you had an issue with the last dealer telling you it was fixed and take it else where
Not sure what I am going to do, pretty much not going to be able to replicate It again this year it’s too cool now. Just really disappointed in Chrysler ATM.

ramhead

Reaction score
Not sure what I am going to do, pretty much not going to be able to replicate It again this year it’s too cool now. Just really disappointed in Chrysler ATM.

Why have you not started a Lemon Law claim?

Users who are viewing this thread