5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AGM or Lead Acid Battery

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
I wish I would have thought of that sooner, I could have saved a lot of time. The next time I think I'm out of gas I'll disconnect the gas tank and shake it.

See. All you needed was a little nudge in the right direction.
The gas tank thing is a bit more involved, though.

Steve

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's my understanding that "maintenance free" lead acid batteries don't have cap to top off the cells, they are completely sealed.
Which is why despite a AGM sticker on the battery, I doubt it truly is an AGM since it has 6 circles under the sticker.

It also recharged from 0 volts, AGM don't do that without crazy luck and tools and lots of tricks. I did have to slave a battery in parallel to recharge, but that alone rarely works.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wish I would have thought of that sooner, I could have saved a lot of time. The next time I think I'm out of gas I'll disconnect the gas tank and shake it.
That's worked in my '64 bug a few times, lol.

Gen3CoupeTX

Reaction score
Regardless of what's there, factory or otherwise, I replace with AGM the first time I need a new battery. I have an Odyssey Extreme in three vehicles ... And the Ram will have one when the OEM kicks the bucket. Now if you will excuse me, I am headed to the garage to shake some batteries and fuel tanks ;-)

Roaminglost

Reaction score
Odyssey 94R, unfortunately, they don't make the extreme series for our trucks. (i have the eco diesel)
dsc00308-jpg.48668

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Odyssey 94R, unfortunately, they don't make the extreme series for our trucks. (i have the eco diesel)
dsc00308-jpg.48668
If you are going to drop $400+ on an extreme odyssey, just buy one of the antigravity lithiums. It will out do any lead acid battery in every single way except for weight. 1800+ Cranking Amps in 18 lbs.

In an Odyssey Extreme, you are looking at 1150 CCA and 78lbs.! And that for a 31, not a 94r which would be a bit bigger volume wise.

Plus its 1hp for every 10 lbs of weight, you just picked up 5 hp too.

Roaminglost

Reaction score
If you are going to drop $400+ on an extreme odyssey, just buy one of the antigravity lithiums. It will out do any lead acid battery in every single way except for weight. 1800+ Cranking Amps in 18 lbs.

In an Odyssey Extreme, you are looking at 1150 CCA and 78lbs.! And that for a 31, not a 94r which would be a bit bigger volume wise.

Plus its 1hp for every 10 lbs of weight, you just picked up 5 hp too.
usually, lithium batteries are $900+/- so I don't think the $400-500 difference is worth it for a starter battery, but for auxiliary batteries id spend the money.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
1500 factory battery is not AGM.

Also, some vehicles that begin life with a standard L-A have longevity issues with AGM. An AGM requires a different charge curve than a L-A, and are more sensitive to overcharging, have lower tolerance for heat, etc. Have no idea about the RAM, but have noticed mine typically runs around 14.5v,; that works as a charge voltage, but AGMs usually want a lower float charge voltage.

Last edited:

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
battery.jpg

It says AGM. But those circles under the stickers say flooded lead acid.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
usually, lithium batteries are $900+/- so I don't think the $400-500 difference is worth it for a starter battery, but for auxiliary batteries id spend the money.
lithiums don't have issues with parasitic drawdown or sulfation. You can let them set years and they'll be at the same charge. Lead acid batteries eat themselves to work. In hot areas like FL, I've gone through batteries in 2-3 years. My VW TDi used to eat AGMs.

The idea with lithium is instead of spending $150-250 every 3-5 years, you spend $800 and are set for a decade+ and the battery for the most part doesn't care how hot or cold it is. It's not corrosisive, not explosive and the newer LiFePO4 and the Lithium Titanate are looking to make batteries outlast you. These you can cut in half ( as long as theres an anode and cathode for polarity ) and they will still work and not catch fire. If it's below 0F lithiums like current draw as it warms them up and gives them a better charge. Lead Acid's just turn into drained bricks. Lithiums also don't slowly run down they give the same voltage and current right up until they are almost dead.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
View attachment 53494

Wow - I stand corrected. - thx. What model and engine do you have?
Mine is not AGM, but that battery is. I think it’s a Varta OEM, also found in VW and Audi diesels and trunk mount / high-comp V8s.

Last edited:

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
lithiums don't have issues with parasitic drawdown or sulfation. You can let them set years and they'll be at the same charge. Lead acid batteries eat themselves to work. In hot areas like FL, I've gone through batteries in 2-3 years. My VW TDi used to eat AGMs.

The idea with lithium is instead of spending $150-250 every 3-5 years, you spend $800 and are set for a decade+ and the battery for the most part doesn't care how hot or cold it is. It's not corrosisive, not explosive and the newer LiFePO4 and the Lithium Titanate are looking to make batteries outlast you. These you can cut in half ( as long as theres an anode and cathode for polarity ) and they will still work and not catch fire. If it's below 0F lithiums like current draw as it warms them up and gives them a better charge. Lead Acid's just turn into drained bricks. Lithiums also don't slowly run down they give the same voltage and current right up until they are almost dead.
With one additional note: when a LiFePo battery is very cold, they put out less current. You have to put a load on them to warm the battery up B4 they will perform. Have these on a couple bikes; cold start in cold means running the headlights and heaters, or cranking a coupe times despite the low current output, to warm them up, and then they work like normal. Great for motorcycles and normal temps, not an ideal battery for deep snow country.

Last edited:

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow - I stand corrected. - thx. What model and engine do you have?
Mine is not AGM, but that battery is. I think it’s a Varta OEM, also found in VW and Audi diesels and trunk mount / high-comp V8s.
It's a 1500 Ecodiesel Longhorn.

Bluesurf

Reaction score
With this entire feed, I'm still wondering.....Do we have an AGM Battery? I found nothing except battery contains Sulfuric Acid? Anyone know for certain?
I just put an Everstart H8 into my Jeep Summit. That had a AGM H7, still works but its 6 years old. Not going to get stuck.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I believe they're AGM. Waiting for my EE buddies here to chime in and confirm.

Bluesurf

Reaction score
I just found this digging on Google.
In the Ram 2019 Specifications:
Battery Group 94R, low-maintenance H7 730 CCA (3.6-liter Pentastar V-6, 5.7-liter HEMI V-8 and 5.7-liter HEMI V-8 eTorque assist)
THIS MEANS TO ME NO AGM? Thats why the battery has NO AGM markings anywhere.
I'm going to order another Everstart H8 AGM from Walmart. You get a 4 year free replacement. I just fitted one in to my Grand Cherokee. It cost me $199.00 taxes incl.

rws1944

Reaction score
I just found this digging on Google.
In the Ram 2019 Specifications:
Battery Group 94R, low-maintenance H7 730 CCA (3.6-liter Pentastar V-6, 5.7-liter HEMI V-8 and 5.7-liter HEMI V-8 eTorque assist)
THIS MEANS TO ME NO AGM? Thats why the battery has NO AGM markings anywhere.
I'm going to order another Everstart H8 AGM from Walmart. You get a 4 year free replacement. I just fitted one in to my Grand Cherokee. It cost me $199.00 taxes incl.
WOW!!! Six months later you are the only one to answer my original question. Thanks for your input. My first thought was that if it didn't have the AGM markings it probably wasn't. I even asked the service guys at the dealership and they were split on AGM or LA. I would have thought that this was a fairly straight forward question but it wasn't. Again thanks for you reply.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The final answer was; diesels are AGM, the rest are not

smashweights

Reaction score
View attachment 53494

AGM batteries still need to be filled via those little circles initially, either at the factory or at the time of installation. My motorcycle Yuasa battery is AGM and came with acid to add at the time of installation so it's got little circles...

Users who are viewing this thread