5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AGM or Lead Acid Battery

A-TEAM

Reaction score
Just hit 34k and my factory battery took a dump. Dead after work today. I noticed it was getting weak the last month or so. Replaced it with a oreilys super start agm H7 because it was in stock locally. Still an upgrade over the factory cca and capacity so I’m happy. Starts like a rocket now. Next time around ill go the H8 route. Thanks for the good info here.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So I was just reading through this thread this morning, and recalled that my 20 Big Horn had an AGM battery. Came home from work and, just out of curiosity, looked at the battery in my 22 Laramie, it is not labeled an AGM. I absolutely believed that a two year newer truck would have at least the same type of battery that my last Ram had. Anyone aware of any rhyme or reason to this?

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I was just reading through this thread this morning, and recalled that my 20 Big Horn had an AGM battery. Came home from work and, just out of curiosity, looked at the battery in my 22 Laramie, it is not labeled an AGM. I absolutely believed that a two year newer truck would have at least the same type of battery that my last Ram had. Anyone aware of any rhyme or reason to this?
If I'm remember correctly, the EcoDiesel will come with AGM battery.

Snekpete

Reaction score
Not for all. My and many others have a H7 regular lead acid from the factory, not AGM.

Regardless, I agree, a H8 AGM will be better.

moparman69

Reaction score
I have a 2019 all new 1500 limited with the 5.7 hemi. My battery died and I need to determine if the OEM battery (730 56029635AC) is a lead acid type or AGM type. Nowhere that I can see on the battery does it say what type it is. All the stuff I've read says don't use a convention car charger on an AGM battery. Any thoughts will be appreciated.
56029635AC is a Group 94R AGM battery built by Johnson Controls. AGM's are still lead acid batteries, except they are sealed. “absorbed glass mat” AGM

Adventurer42

Reaction score
I have been following this thread since the beginning, waiting for the day that I get that dreaded click but no start. After 3-1/2 years and 55,450 miles I had the pleasure of replacing my factory H7 flooded lead acid battery with an Interstate 49/H8 AGM purchased from my local Costco. Also ordered the proper felt battery shield/cover from my local dealer. Thanks everyone for the insight on the different battery brands, sizes and flooded vs AGM.

Reactions: c3k

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just changed mine to the Interstate AGM H8 this morning after getting it fully charged. The shield from the H7 I was able to get over the H8 so no need to get a new one. I did notice when I turned the truck on on the 12" screen it was asking for an Unlock code which I thought was odd. On my initial few mile road drive I didn't get the sluggish response like the motor wasn't getting enough power (had the same thing happen on my '17 JGC that ended up being battery swapped out) and also noticed the voltages saying at 13v. Next run back to home it started at 13, went up to 13.9 at one point but then settled back to 13v again.

2019Beast

Reaction score
I just switched over to the agm as well after the original battery just stopped working with no warning. I went with the H7.

smashweights

Reaction score
Not being a **** at all, if you have a 100% stock truck (limited) why do you need a H8?
Tom
You don't NEED an H8. That's just the size. There's plenty of H8 batteries with lower specs than high end H7. All else equal, an extra 6% CCA and 20 mins reserve capacity isn't gonna make a difference and unless you're running on your on battery alone frequently

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You don't NEED an H8. That's just the size. There's plenty of H8 batteries with lower specs than high end H7. All else equal, an extra 6% CCA and 20 mins reserve capacity isn't gonna make a difference and unless you're running on your on battery alone frequently
It's not the size of the battery that matters, it's all about how long it stays up. Its all about preference.😁😜

Users who are viewing this thread