5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aftermarket manifold??

Reaction score
Looking to change out my exhaust manifolds. I literally just had them replaced at the dealership due to the cracking issue, but want to put something on there that isn't going to do that. Horrid design. What other options are there out there? I searched on there for exhaust manifolds but didn't find anything. I truly don't get on here a lot but want to get this figured out.

Thank you

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
You can get some shorty headers. Most folks use AFE or BBK. Although these are welded tubing so the welds might break. Do some searches online you should find some

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
When changing the manifolds, how are you making sure the bolts don’t break in the head? Happened to be one time in the past.

Ramboh

Reaction score
When changing the manifolds, how are you making sure the bolts don’t break in the head? Happened to be one time in the past.
you pray first. Welding a nut to the broken stud in the head is the go-to in that situation. Just a little 115 volt welder will do the job. Get a spool of flux cored wire.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
you pray first. Welding a nut to the broken stud in the head is the go-to in that situation. Just a little 115 volt welder will do the job. Get a spool of flux cored wire.
I've heard of that trick before, just never did it. I've also heard of some folks also get the engine to operating temp before attempting removal of the bolts. Not sure if that helps or not.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've heard of that trick before, just never did it. I've also heard of some folks also get the engine to operating temp before attempting removal of the bolts. Not sure if that helps or not.
From experience(more manifolds I can count) the bolts are broken before you try to remove them. Very rarely does a bolt break off when trying to remove, it can happen. I have not had a DT truck manifold bolt break off when trying to remove yet. I have also not had a manifold bolt broken on a DT that has had the tie bars on the manifolds, I know that techs still claim broken bolts for extra pay from manufacturer.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
From experience(more manifolds I can count) the bolts are broken before you try to remove them. Very rarely does a bolt break off when trying to remove, it can happen. I have not had a DT truck manifold bolt break off when trying to remove yet. I have also not had a manifold bolt broken on a DT that has had the tie bars on the manifolds, I know that techs still claim broken bolts for extra pay from manufacturer.
As a former Chrysler mechanic, I know the description doesn't always match the actual work, on warranty work. It was over 30 years ago, and things may have changed, but back in the day, something like wiring, only paid a little over a half hour, no matter how long it took. You may have had to remove the entire dash, to get to a pinched wire, but only got that pay. If it wasn't warranty you would get actual time. You would see which fuse was blown, then see what other things were on that fuse. You could claim three different shorts, in different parts of the vehicle, to cover the hour and a half, it actually took you to find and repair that one pinched wire.

ryanJ

Reaction score
Looking to do the same on my 19' ram. Looks like JBA, AFE or BBK. Can't seem to find a consensus of which is the best. Only want to replace these things once!

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Looking to do the same on my 19' ram. Looks like JBA, AFE or BBK. Can't seem to find a consensus of which is the best. Only want to replace these things once!
I hear ya. Some people say it’s worse with shorties because the welds don’t last. Good luck finding manifolds or shorties too. Idk anymore

ryanJ

Reaction score

edgarrian

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have 2019 rebel and for the most part its been trouble free. I did have to replace my 12" screen but luckily I was still under warranty. Last week I had my truck in to get the tires swapped out. I went with the same brand that came with it. I put 67K on the duratracks so stuck with them. I also had them take a look at the manifold and sure enough its cracked. I was wondering how many people have gone with aftermarket shorties with success. What brands you all are using and how long you have had them installed. I dont want to to replace with oem b/c i know it will happen again.

Thanks

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have 2019 rebel and for the most part its been trouble free. I did have to replace my 12" screen but luckily I was still under warranty. Last week I had my truck in to get the tires swapped out. I went with the same brand that came with it. I put 67K on the duratracks so stuck with them. I also had them take a look at the manifold and sure enough its cracked. I was wondering how many people have gone with aftermarket shorties with success. What brands you all are using and how long you have had them installed. I dont want to to replace with oem b/c i know it will happen again.

Thanks
The factory manifolds have been redesigned. Subtle differences.

Users who are viewing this thread