5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aftermarket manifold??

N7GZN

Reaction score
Installing anything other than cast iron manifolds will require an exhaust wrap to minimize heat buildup in the engine compartment. In addition to the manifolds and downpipes, tubular headers optimally will require a tune so add that to the conversion cost.
As listed above, BD Diesel does makes a cast iron header for the 5.7 hemi, but it is only for 4th gen DS Rams. If they ever come out with 5th gen DT variants I will be interested.

If the oem exhaust manifolds are not cracked, just broken hardware, the manifolds can be resurfaced on a vertical mill to restore flatness.(I have seen hemi exhaust manifold warpage up to 0.035")
A new cast iron manifold will take a set once it heats up, so installing a used milled (flat) manifold should be relatively stable from warpage.
Don't forget to use the Remflex gaskets with the cast iron exhaust manifold installation.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Installing anything other than cast iron manifolds will require an exhaust wrap to minimize heat buildup in the engine compartment. In addition to the manifolds and downpipes, tubular headers optimally will require a tune so add that to the conversion cost.
As listed above, BD Diesel does makes a cast iron header for the 5.7 hemi, but it is only for 4th gen DS Rams. If they ever come out with 5th gen DT variants I will be interested.

If the oem exhaust manifolds are not cracked, just broken hardware, the manifolds can be resurfaced on a vertical mill to restore flatness.(I have seen hemi exhaust manifold warpage up to 0.035")
A new cast iron manifold will take a set once it heats up, so installing a used milled (flat) manifold should be relatively stable from warpage.
Don't forget to use the Remflex gaskets with the cast iron exhaust manifold installation.
Get ceramic coated or Jethot coated headers and no need for a crappy wrap that will reduce the life of the headers.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
OEM manifolds that I ordered in October arrived today, the look to be the updated version.
A couple questions...
Are most people using the gaskets and bolts that come with the set, any benefit to upgrading ?
Is there a step by step for the swap? no instructions provided, Thanks.
I used everything that was included in the kit.
There is a step by step in the service manual. You can probably find tutorial on you-tube,
biggest things are the sequence and torque of tightening the bolts

Users who are viewing this thread