5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aftermarket 13.6" Display Radio

Glvnet

Reaction score
did you remove both screen protectors? Is it glass underneath?
Yes. I removed both screen protectors and the image quality inproved a lot. Now it looks more high end. More glossy sort of speak. It feels like glass indeed.

Glvnet

Reaction score
Anyone with a unit messed with hooking up after market amplifiers?

What options exist for tuning: basic 3/5/7/11 eq bands, crossover capabilities, none of the above?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
The radio has pre amp rca outputs. It has a 32 band EQ I believe.

Glvnet

Reaction score
I guess that does not really matter, since the radio is android and can do all apps natively..just needs hotspot.
How long does it take to boot, from a cold startup of the truck. Is it as fast as uconnect?
Android auro wireless does work, but it only uses a small portion of the screen anyway. Apple carplay uses the entire screen and looks amazing. Sadly, I am not an ophone user.

Glvnet

Reaction score
Something odd I noticed today is that my AC is blowing colder now. I noticed it before but thought it was just placebo, but then my wife mentioned it also. Maybe the OEM AC temp control panel was defective to begin with, but now my AC is blowing super cold, which is great here in SoFLo. Just my observation.
My friend has the exact same truck as mine. We bought them the same day, same dealer. His is black and always had issues with the AC not being cold enough. Mine (silver) never had an issue. After he also installed the Android 10 13.6 inch radio, his first observation was the AC started blowing cold air. So, not a placebo. I actually confirmed that myself.

Bullcycles

Reaction score
Anyone with a unit messed with hooking up after market amplifiers?

What options exist for tuning: basic 3/5/7/11 eq bands, crossover capabilities, none of the above?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Yeah the EQ is actually pretty good. The sound is way better than stock. Louder, cleaner and no more bass cutting out from the factory radio attenuation. a lot of options for an amp/s setup.

as far as everything else.. issues I’m dealing with are

screen brightness, removed both screen protectors. It is much better but room for improvement in bright conditions. One other issue (personal) is that the screen is useless with polarized glasses. It’s completely dark. Also at night I can’t dim it enough. Working with Phoenix for a fix. There are screen voltage backlight settings but they are password protected (not the basic 3368 code)

backup camera, image is compressed to AHD 1200x600. Which is a weird 2:1 aspect ratio. It should be at 1280x720 for a uncompressed 16:9 ratio which would greatly improve the issue. There is an override for that as well I just can’t get the entered values to stay when entered.

park sense, this seems a little glitchy. And the sound is a bit annoying. Sounds like the beeps are coming from an internal speaker in the unit. And not the speakers.

other than that everything is great. And I’m pretty sure those can all be addressed with software updates/tweeks. I hope anyway.

Carlos.33193

Reaction score
Definitely keep us informed if you find a way to fix these issues. Especially the camera quality :) also, you all kept saying 2 screen protectors, just discovered I still had one on there, I thought it was just the screen XD.. thanks!

U

User_34235

I just picked up this unit from another user on here...so far it looks good but I really want to factory reset it so I can set it up my way. Using a paperclip and pushing in on the reset button only restarts the system and not factory reset, so if anyone out there knows how to factory reset, please let me know.
Thanks

TRam1500

Reaction score
Have you guys messed with the stock background? Can you change the picture from a truck to an uploaded image? Also, hot much customization is there with those digital guages? Can you replace them or have it boot to a music player every startup?

TRam1500

Reaction score
It does have apple car play. You have to use the dedicated USB port that comes with it. But not really sure why you would use it over the native android apps.

I've been using it for a day now, and the degraded camera image is a big downside. It's grainy, blurry, and smaller.. my wife said she'd rather have the old one back and give up the other features from how bad it looks compared to factory.
Do you want to sell your Phoenix to me?? :)

U

User_34235

Wanted to bring this one back to life and see if anyone has gotten more in love with this or hated it. The thing I noticed when installed was a severe degredation in the back up camera and the mic for phone. Not sure if you can change the resolution of things, but the rear view camera looked horrible. Also, whenever I would talk to others using the OEM mic, they said I sounded odd. Not sure why there.
Has anyone been able to change their home screen? I like the looks of the tach and speedometer, but I would rather it be the HVAC or the apps page instead.

Carlos.33193

Reaction score
Oh so it does have the AHD option.. found a AHD converter online waiting to hear what resolution the output is. Do those grey bars go away with just the backup cam activated.. the demo video quality/size looks better. But then again kinda hard to tell from a screen grab.. did it have a CVBS input option?
View attachment 138107

Here’s the converter I found.. it’s what they use in the Linkswell systems…

LinksWell JDCAMADPT-19 Factory Adapter for Jeep Wrangler 2018 2019 2020 and RAM 2019 2020 Factory Camera Retention Interface Factory Video Signal Adapter Camera https://a.co/d/gKq1lsU
Did anyone end up trying this to see if the camera issue improves?

Carlos.33193

Reaction score
I bought the AHD converter from Amazon, it does improve the quality a bit. And got rid of the grey bars. 20221117_190230.jpg

Attachments

• 20221117_204249.jpg
    20221117_204249.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 153
  • 20221117_190127.jpg
    20221117_190127.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 152

Carlos.33193

Reaction score
Can someone post how to change the LED colors on the buttons? It's cycling between all colors and I can't find the option where I changed it last time 😞

NVM. Found it

Attachments

• 16687363642947482947167698002550.jpg
    16687363642947482947167698002550.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

Carlos.33193

Reaction score
With the improvement, how do you compare this to your original factory 12”?
Quality wise it's almost the same I'd say, but it's still way smaller since it doesn't use the same ratio as the OEM. It has those obnoxious letters on the top taking about 1.5" of space.

mk2019ORP

Reaction score
Quality wise it's almost the same I'd say, but it's still way smaller since it doesn't use the same ratio as the OEM. It has those obnoxious letters on the top taking about 1.5" of space.
Bummer. I am planning on upgrading from the factory 8.5” and thought I could save some money with a quality aftermarket as opposed to dropping the coin on an OEM 12”. Looks like I may have to bite the bullet though. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated 👍🏼

Carlos.33193

Reaction score
Bummer. I am planning on upgrading from the factory 8.5” and thought I could save some money with a quality aftermarket as opposed to dropping the coin on an OEM 12”. Looks like I may have to bite the bullet though. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated 👍🏼
Depends what you value most in it.. I switched back to stock and while I love the bigger, clearer camera view, I love even more the full screen waze navigation, the YouTube music videos when I'm parked, and just like having the music interferface directly on screen.. the Amazon AHD adapter made a significant enough difference for me to be happy with it.

I don't use Sirius XM, so I don't miss that, and I can compromise on the smaller view camera.. keep in mind that at least in my truck, I did lose the ability to switch between the different camera modes (rear only, rear wide, front only etc) it is stuck in the last mode I had it with the OEM radio, which for me is ok, it's the surround view on left and front/rear on the right.

Users who are viewing this thread