5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aftermarket 13.6" Display Radio

Carlos.33193

Reaction score
So after playing around with it for a bit..
Installation is easy, everything is plug and play.

Screen quality not as nice as OEM, OEM one feels glass like and this one is more plastic-y feeling. Backup camera/360 not working as it should. I can see the backup camera and top view when I go into reverse, but I can't change any of the views like you can with the factory radio. The bird eye/reverse image is getting decoded from the lvds and then getting fed back into the head unit through RCA so the quality is pretty degraded compared to factory. The ac controls all work as expected, seating vent controls, steering heat controls all work.

Fm/am radio was pretty poor quality, I couldn't figure out which wire was the antenna (supposed to be white, but signal didn't improve), same with the GPS antenna, needed to use the one that came with the head unit then it worked ok. Audio quality from USB and mp3s that came loaded on the unit were really good, eq works well.

The os app responsiveness was really good, everything was snappy with no delays or lag. Waze, YouTube, chrome, etc all work as expected.

The SW interface for the truck settings are garbage, looks homebrewed and is buggy. I managed to mess up my side steps by changing a setting and now it won't change back, so they fail to deploy automatically (stuck in store mode), I would not touch any settings in there unless absolutely needed to, the air suspension tore jack, alignment mode etc all worked well.

For me I wanted the ability to have full screen waze, YouTube videos, and just androids apps in general. I'm willing to deal with the camera issue, and losing SiriusXM.

Edit: fixed the GPS issue, I was connecting it to wrong plug.. it's the curry colored one. Also fixed the radio antenna issue, the harness pin got bent, had to straighten it out and it works now.

Unplugged my battery to fix the side steps issue, and now getting a service air suspension warning, but hopefully that goes away once everything is provisioned again.

Last edited:

Bullcycles

Reaction score
Just picked one up as well. Ill update on how it works out. I have the 8" non NAV so this will be a nice upgrade. cant justify the price to upgrade to the factory 12" but for $720 out the door this fits the bill.

Swicago

Reaction score
@Carlos.33193 are you able to confirm if android auto wireless works? I see conflicting info from their site. In a youtube video they show it works, but on their site says non supported. The site might have old info.
If android auto wirless works, then this is a great price for what this radio has.
Edit: one more question, how long is the cold start boot up time? Some of these aftermarket android radios are slow to boot

Last edited:

Carlos.33193

Reaction score
@Carlos.33193 are you able to confirm if android auto wireless works? I see conflicting info from their site. In a youtube video they show it works, but on their site says non supported. The site might have old info.
If android auto wirless works, then this is a great price for what this radio has.
Edit: one more question, how long is the cold start boot up time? Some of these aftermarket android radios are slow to boot
The phone tells me it's android wireless capable, but I can't get it to start up.. as soon as I put it with the USB it works with wired though. it doesn't show full screen though, only about as much as factory.

Swicago

Reaction score
The phone tells me it's android wireless capable, but I can't get it to start up.. as soon as I put it with the USB it works with wired though. it doesn't show full screen though, only about as much as factory.
I guess that does not really matter, since the radio is android and can do all apps natively..just needs hotspot.
How long does it take to boot, from a cold startup of the truck. Is it as fast as uconnect?

Carlos.33193

Reaction score
I guess that does not really matter, since the radio is android and can do all apps natively..just needs hotspot.
How long does it take to boot, from a cold startup of the truck. Is it as fast as uconnect?
25 seconds.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I’m guessing no Apple car play on this one since it’s an android screen?

Carlos.33193

Reaction score
I’m guessing no Apple car play on this one since it’s an android screen?
It does have apple car play. You have to use the dedicated USB port that comes with it. But not really sure why you would use it over the native android apps.

I've been using it for a day now, and the degraded camera image is a big downside. It's grainy, blurry, and smaller.. my wife said she'd rather have the old one back and give up the other features from how bad it looks compared to factory.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It does have apple car play. You have to use the dedicated USB port that comes with it. But not really sure why you would use it over the native android apps.

I've been using it for a day now, and the degraded camera image is a big downside. It's grainy, blurry, and smaller.. my wife said she'd rather have the old one back and give up the other features from how bad it looks compared to factory.
Camera quality was a huge seller for me on this truck. Compared to our 2018 Pathfinder it's a big step up, and compared to my dad's 2015 Frontier it's like comparing a 4k TV to 360p. I couldn't imagine downgrading from that now that I've got it in the truck.

mk2019ORP

Reaction score

Appreciate the review. I think I’ll probably stick with the factory 8.4” for now.

Bullcycles

Reaction score
I was looking on their web site.. there seems to be a hidden menu button for image quality.. (mine has yet to arrive) if anyone wants to try it and confirm if it helps with the backup cam issue…

A8F675D1-4025-4038-B309-D8A8CCB77EC7.png

Bullcycles

Reaction score
Oh nice!.. yeah 25 seconds would be annoying. Glad to hear that’s works. You happen to try the camera quality workaround?

Carlos.33193

Reaction score
Wasn't able to open that, but I did find another hidden menu (code 3368) and I switched it to AHD, but quality still not as good as stock. It looks ok. 16618978926412857700041389929148.jpg
I was looking on their web site.. there seems to be a hidden menu button for image quality.. (mine has yet to arrive) if anyone wants to try it and confirm if it helps with the backup cam issue…

View attachment 138034

Bullcycles

Reaction score
Oh so it does have the AHD option.. found a AHD converter online waiting to hear what resolution the output is. Do those grey bars go away with just the backup cam activated.. the demo video quality/size looks better. But then again kinda hard to tell from a screen grab.. did it have a CVBS input option?
60E76D17-B086-4C32-98FC-D647854BB445.jpeg

Here’s the converter I found.. it’s what they use in the Linkswell systems…

LinksWell JDCAMADPT-19 Factory Adapter for Jeep Wrangler 2018 2019 2020 and RAM 2019 2020 Factory Camera Retention Interface Factory Video Signal Adapter Camera https://a.co/d/gKq1lsU

Last edited:

Carlos.33193

Reaction score
Oh so it does have the AHD option.. found a AHD converter online waiting to hear what resolution the output is. Do those grey bars go away with just the backup cam activated.. the demo video quality/size looks better. But then again kinda hard to tell from a screen grab.. did it have a CVBS input option?
View attachment 138107

Here’s the converter I found.. it’s what they use in the Linkswell systems…

LinksWell JDCAMADPT-19 Factory Adapter for Jeep Wrangler 2018 2019 2020 and RAM 2019 2020 Factory Camera Retention Interface Factory Video Signal Adapter Camera https://a.co/d/gKq1lsU
My grey bars never go away, i also can't change the different views using the "buttons" on the screen. They are just baked into the image but are not clickable. Changing from "TVI" to "AHD" on the settings makes no difference in quality, I assume because their converter doesn't do AHD output. I am not sure if using that adapter would make it better quality since it does actually output AHD, but maybe someone can try it. I assumed anything coming in though RCA would be limited to 480p res, but I'm not familiar with the AHD format.

Carlos.33193

Reaction score
Something odd I noticed today is that my AC is blowing colder now. I noticed it before but thought it was just placebo, but then my wife mentioned it also. Maybe the OEM AC temp control panel was defective to begin with, but now my AC is blowing super cold, which is great here in SoFLo. Just my observation.

Otto

Reaction score
Anyone with a unit messed with hooking up after market amplifiers?

What options exist for tuning: basic 3/5/7/11 eq bands, crossover capabilities, none of the above?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Bullcycles

Reaction score
3) The screen quality is very nice overall and after you remove the matte screen protector it comes with, the quality inproves a lot. However, during the day the screen could be a little bit brighter.....I am in Florida so Sunshine State!!

I hope this helps. Have had the unit for a week, so not sure on durability.
did you remove both screen protectors? Is it glass underneath?

Users who are viewing this thread